Sergio Busquets

EdmondDantes

Very good on the ball but a bit off the pace off of it at times.

Even Mister Seitan said as much on his take on the game he's just uploaded on YouTube.

He's much better when he's got technically compatible players beside him though.

JohnN

Busquets has lost pace (which he never really had much of to begin with) and that's the only thing that he can be blamed for. When grouped with technical players he can still produce good matches. He kind of is a defensive liability some times.
Out of our 3 midfield veterans, he is the one who has been absolutely world class in the past and that shows sometimes. Is he enough for the CL though?

Judoman

Out of our 3 midfield veterans, he is the one who has been absolutely world class in the past and that shows sometimes. Is he enough for the CL though?

You don t want to have a defensive liability in elimination rounds..

He is fine in La liga, but you can put Vidal or Rakitic in his place in La liga.

Sorin

You don t want to have a defensive liability in elimination rounds..

He is fine in La liga, but you can put Vidal or Rakitic in his place in La liga.

You mean, put FDJ in Busi's place and Vidal then takes the more advanced position. Because Vidal has never been a DM and can't really play the role of one against good teams. He would be pressured into mistakes pretty easily.

Rakitic is the same defensive liability so not sure what you mean about putting him in Busi's place in the CL.

JohnN

Rakitic is worse in possession and against pressing teams than Busquets. Also, he is not a DM. Not sure he would be a good replacement. Same with Vidal.
I wouldn't like Frankie in his place because I feel he can flourish beside Arthur and not behind him. Also, he is a little too adventurous to be the solo defensive midfielder.
But perhaps, for away games that we need to defend a lead, Frankie could be the CDM with Arthur and Vidal in front of him.

Judoman

You mean, put FDJ in Busi's place and Vidal then takes the more advanced position. Because Vidal has never been a DM and can't really play the role of one against good teams. He would be pressured into mistakes pretty easily.

Rakitic is the same defensive liability so not sure what you mean about putting him in Busi's place in the CL.

I meant (and wrote), you can put Rakitic or Vidal in his place in La liga not CL. Switch with DJ if Vidal is playing, Rakitic can play DM. Doesn t really matter which one plays in La liga.

I think DJ is the best choice for DM spot in elimination rounds and i would put Vidal on CM spot due to his mentality and work rate.

Sorin

Rakitic is worse in possession and against pressing teams than Busquets. Also, he is not a DM. Not sure he would be a good replacement. Same with Vidal.
I wouldn't like Frankie in his place because I feel he can flourish beside Arthur and not behind him. Also, he is a little too adventurous to be the solo defensive midfielder.
But perhaps, for away games that we need to defend a lead, Frankie could be the CDM with Arthur and Vidal in front of him.

That's the mid I want to see this year against good pressing, athletic teams: Arthur-FDJ-Vidal. All three are mobile enough to keep up with any other mids, can contribute to both attack and defense. Vidal is currently our only good workhorse that combines all attributes of one, powerful, direct, stamina and guts for days. Also experienced which can act as a balance to both FDJ and Arthur's slight lack of experience.

Would use Rakitic and Busquets only in La Liga and lower level teams like Slavia Praga in CL. Anything else and we would see the same shitshow as last year.

Sorin

I meant (and wrote), you can put Rakitic or Vidal in his place in La liga not CL. Switch with DJ if Vidal is playing, Rakitic can play DM. Doesn t really matter which one plays in La liga.

I think DJ is the best choice for DM spot in elimination rounds and i would put Vidal on CM spot due to his mentality and work rate.

My bad, I got ahead of myself. Thought you made a mistake when you wrote La Liga there as it didn't make sense for me for some reason. I apologize for that.

I agree, in La Liga we could use FDJ in a more advanced role with Busquets/Rakitic rotating as the DM. However I still think Busi is the best DM between the two. They are both slow but Busquets is still a much better passer and coupled with 2 mobile mids in Arthur and Frenkie he can perform much better.

But yeah Rakitic is good for rotation purposes to keep the squad fresh at all times.

Judoman

Agreed.
In any case Rakitic is on his way out and we should start thinking about 3rd guy for our future midfield dominance and Busi should become the rotation option/ La liga player. He makes me nervous in CL games.

JohnN

Agreed.
In any case Rakitic is on his way out and we should start thinking about 3rd guy for our future midfield dominance and Busi should become the rotation option/ La liga player. He makes me nervous in CL games.

Busi makes me nervous too. Him and Alba from the current squad. (Valdes was making me as nervous in the past).
How much does N'Golo Kanté cost ?? :p:p

Sorin

I'm still undecided about what I'd prefer. A true box to box CM, an attacking CM like what De Bruyne has become or just a younger Busquets behind FDJ-Arthur. I feel like any of the above would complement them well. I believe an out of this world offensive mid like De Bruyne would suit us the most(it would suit every team in fairness). Finding that guy would probably be the hardest though. I followed Hevertz for some matches last year, but not for any considerable amount of time to draw any proper conclusions, but heard the guy is one of the most versatile up and coming attacking players. Can play as an 8, 10, false 9 and even as a winger. Considering that De Bruyne started almost the same in terms of versatility I believe he could the closest thing. Will try to watch him more this season.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans