Trebles in European Football.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Barcelona is the only club to win a sextuple right? I think celtic lost their club World Cup match against a Uruguayan team.

raskolnikov

Would imagine it is down to rotating squads more and developments in sports science allowing players to remain fresher and face more game in a season at a high level.

Also a lot of teams did not used to care too much about their domestic cups, these days with the money in football and the big squads they are expected to try and win these trophies more than in past.
Makes sense:thumbsup:

Also looked into it a bit and Ajax 72 is very cool as well. dominated the league, scoring more than 100 goals and beating Vitesse 12-1 on the final day, beat arch nemesis Feyenoord away in their stadium 1-5 to secure the league, only losing once the whole season, on april fools day so nobody believed it actually happened.
Then beat other rival the Hague for the domestic cup in Feyenoord's stadium.
This followed by showcasing attacking totalfootball to the world by beating Inter in the cl final, newspapers headlining it the destruction of catenaccio which then became obsolete in the sport and of course this also happened to take place in Feyenoords stadium.
From a rivalry point of view a very cool treble and also what it did for attacking styles as opossed to dreadfull catenaccio.

raskolnikov

Actually celtic defeated catenaccio in 1967 before Ajax did it.
Just saying what the headlines reported, im just glad its dead. Ajax in the 70's are my kind of team. Beautiful attacking play > boring anti football/extreme defence.
As a fellow bus hater we can all agree on it as Barca fans I think:p

Regarding Real by the way, did they ever come really close to a treble? this so called biggest club in the world hasnt won a domestic double in 26 years.
Take away the franco corruption and european cups when 4 teams were competing and suddenly the gap shrinks a lot.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
i think the last couple of european cups they won they didn't win the league. They've also been very poor in the copa in the past couple of decades.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
i think the last couple of european cups they won they didn't win the league. They've also been very poor in the copa in the past couple of decades.

I watched the highlight of the Alcorcon 4 - 0 RM CdR game yesterday just for the giggles :lol:

Surprised to see that no Italian team won the treble until 2010.

To answer the OPs question, I believe it's impossible to rank the "best" treble since every team in the list went through a different path to achieve their goals.

Neymessi

I think both of our trebles(if we win) would rank in the top 2.The older one was undoubtedly one of the best footballing side ever and in this one we would have defeated all the respective league champions of so many leagues while our forward line made history with so many goals.

StarLord

8 out of their 10 CL titles were won without them winning the league (in the same season) if memory serves me correctly. Still, I would never really mind that.

Edit:

1956 - Bilbao win the league, Real Madrid finish a very distant 3rd.
1959 - Barcelona win the league, Real Madrid finish 2nd.
1960 - Barcelona win the league on goal difference (or H2H) Real Madrid finish 2nd.
1966 - Atletico Madrid win the league, Real Madrid finish 2nd.
1998 - Barcelona win the league, Real Madrid finish 4th.
2000 - Deportivo La Coruna win the league, Real Madrid finish 5th.
2002 - Valencia win the league, Real Madrid finish 3rd.
2014 - Atletico Madrid win the league, Real Madrid finish 3rd.

Last edited:

Yannik

Inter imo. They werent the best team paperwise, but overcame the odds countless times and italian league wasnt broken back then.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I think this treble for Barca beats Pep's because they actually had very little luck in their journey. Ive seen Man Utds, Inter's and Barca's 2 trebles, and I must say that this year Barca's treble and Inters double come at the top 2. Whom you choose to place as number 1 will be biased. For me, it was Inter's, because that was a very tough journey, with teams in their full capacity especially against Barcelona, that tie was incredibly dramatic, and the way Inter held on for dear life after they destroyed Barca in the first leg, that was epic. They also beat champions along the way, winning all their matches but the one against Barcelona in Barcelona playing a man down.

Then again, this Barcelona was to dominant that they recorded ridiculous wins which makes people wonder if the teams they faced were poor or the quality gap was this astronomical, which is a measure of Barca;s greatness.

BenRobbins

The best final was United-Bayern in 99.
The best team was Peps Barca.
The most convincing team was this years Barca.

Quick question- Who would win Bayern 12-13 or Jose's inter?

Home of Barca Fans