André Gomes

Devils

He could have all the talent in the world but anyone with a mentality such as his is always going to fail at a big club.

Dude simply can't handle the pressure.

serghei

Same with me. I thought he could be a good alternative to Pogba in Lucho's proposed/rumored setup with faster transitions a la Real Madrid 2011/2012.

I though he would be a good player in the mold of Xabi Alonso. :lol:

He could have all the talent in the world but anyone with a mentality such as his is always going to fail at a big club.

Dude simply can't handle the pressure.

I massively overrated his talent due to a good spell at Valencia where it was mostly a good period for them as a team. Had some good games that season in derbies that caught the attention of Barca and Madrid. We got the short end of the stick on this one.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I called him a rough Diamond early on in this thread and yeah....

Not just ability but he lacked the mentality to make it. He played like a dude who was simply to scared to force the issue, despite getting a boat load of chances under Lucho, he got worse and worse as it was painfully obvious that wasn't going to work out.

I thought maybe Valverde can do something with him but again he showed the same problems he did under Lucho he just lacked so many things to make it here.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Will we be able to fork as much money for Gomes as Madrid got for Danilo though?

Not unless Pep or Lucho does us a favor. Doesn't seem like Lucho is even getting a job with his high wage demands. Crazy guy.

Should have sold him last summer. I said so back then. We could have gotten 30m for him. You have to know when to call the plug on a guy and be more ruthless instead of trying to be nice all the time. We're making the same mistake with Denis by thinking he could be valuable as Iniesta's successor as Valverde alluded to very recently.

This club just lacks good leadership/management from the top to the bottom.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Not unless Pep or Lucho does us a favor. Doesn't seem like Lucho is even getting a job with his high wage demands. Crazy guy.

Should have sold him last summer. I said so back then. We could have gotten 30m for him. You have to know when to call the plug on a guy and be more ruthless instead of trying to be nice all the time. We're making the same mistake with Denis by thinking he could be valuable as Iniesta's successor as Valverde alluded to very recently.

This club just lacks good leadership/management from the top to the bottom.
Neither Denis or Coutinho are Iniesta replacements. They’re not CM’s and never will be. Sure they can play the odd game there but I see Denis as a backup to both Coutinho and Dembélé in the wing positions.

A world class CM should be signed alongside Griezmann and Suárez put to pasture.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Neither Denis or Coutinho are Iniesta replacements. They’re not CM’s and never will be. Sure they can play the odd game there but I see Denis as a backup to both Coutinho and Dembélé in the wing positions.

A world class CM should be signed alongside Griezmann and Suárez put to pasture.

When asked about a replacement for Iniesta very recently Valverde brought up Denis and Alena as replacements with Coutinho also mentioned, however he claimed Coutinho is more attacking. He also said he want a smaller squad and doesn't think there will be many signings.

From that it sounds like he sees Coutinho as a LW, but I desperately hope he doesn't see Denis as a CM. If we move Coutinho up forward and don't bring in a quality CM to start right away we're screwed.

Which is also exactly what I can see happening. If Griezmann doesn't come we'll sign a CB and get Arthur in January and that's it. Which is why this time I won't even bother with transfer rumors. Just enjoy the summer and the World Cup and I'll see y'all in August with the Supercopa.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

When asked about a replacement for Iniesta very recently Valverde brought up Denis and Alena as replacements with Coutinho also mentioned, however he claimed Coutinho is more attacking. He also said he want a smaller squad and doesn't think there will be many signings.

From that it sounds like he sees Coutinho as a LW, but I desperately hope he doesn't see Denis as a CM. If we move Coutinho up forward and don't bring in a quality CM to start right away we're screwed.
I think he said that all 3 possibilities (Coutinho, Aleñá and Denis) are more attacking which is very true. Of the 3 Aleñá is the most suitable but he lacks the experience and prefers to play on the right side of midfield meaning that Rakitic would have to move to the left side until Arthur arrives. Not a good idea at this stage...

But yeah, a quality CM should actually be at the top of the shopping list instead of Griezmann.

behindbrowneyes

I think he said that all 3 possibilities (Coutinho, Aleñá and Denis) are more attacking which is very true. Of the 3 Aleñá is the most suitable but he lacks the experience and prefers to play on the right side of midfield meaning that Rakitic would have to move to the left side until Arthur arrives. Not a good idea at this stage...

But yeah, a quality CM should actually be at the top of the shopping list instead of Griezmann.

Aleñá is not in the position of preferring positions. If he wants to play he will have to adapt to wherever the coach wants him to play. There is no way veteran Rakitic will move to the left because Aleñá prefers playing on the right.

However, yes, a CM signing is needed.

M

MessiCam

Aleñá is not in the position of preferring positions. If he wants to play he will have to adapt to wherever the coach wants him to play. There is no way veteran Rakitic will move to the left because Aleñá prefers playing on the right.

However, yes, a CM signing is needed.
I concur, but I was merely pointing out the obvious and it was the case whenever Aleñá played under Valverde. He played RCM with Denis as the LCM. The one time he played LCM (against Vigo I think) he shat the bed.

Home of Barca Fans