Fifa report into alleged corruption clears Qatar to host 2022 World Cup

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah. My reasoning here is that as they know to be wary of each other, it could work as motivation to actually create a rigid framework that can withstand attempts of takeover and other such things.

I agree

The good even in a re-election of a crook like Blatter is that he's 79, this isn't going on for much longer...However, it does make you wonder who is in line next since the entire organization is rampant with corruption - Sepp is merely the most well known face of it...Tomorrow it'll be someone new

Getting transparency on big business, especially with the amount of money involved in football is not something we're likely to see anytime soon - regardless of this investigation or the next

I am however curious about the Suisse part of the investigation because we could see some increased transparency as a result of their pursuit of the irregularities in the 2018 & 2022 World Cup bids

Gaudi

Sorry mate but I'd find it grotesque if someone from Jordan or Qatar ran FIFA. There are hundreds od sports out there and they want to force themselves upon nations that are light years ahead od them in football.
I don't see anyone from Croatia yelling about equality and trying to rule cricket.

Zdravko Mamic would be ideal choice for that

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He could teach a thing or two both Blatter and Platini on how to be even more corrupted.

khaled_a_d

The alternative is even worse. That dude that calls himself a prince or something is probably even more corrupt than this bastard.
No disrespect to Asia but when it comes to football they should stay on back seat and not trying to force themselves where they have no place.
It's either European or South American and noone else should even be considered.

1st ,he is an actual prince
2nd lol ,what!!?? FIFA president is more of a politician than a footballer .it is more administrative and political abilities than anything else and it doesn't matter what is his nationality
European and South American?FFS the last 2 presidents were from both and they are responsible for all of this shit man .heads up Blatter is European and FIFA corruption started with Havelange,Blatter was his boy who Havelange needed to take over after him so he would never be questioned

I don't think there's a fairytale ending in this story, corrupt organization will continue being corrupt - far too much money involved...Has the feel of a reshuffling of the deck rather than wholesale changes but we'll see
True,it isn't like US cares about the dirt in FIFA .highly doubt anything would happen if it wasn't for the embarrassment for losing against Qatar got the WC 2022 bid

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Oh man this is huge:

Law enforcement officials say FIFA charges are much broader than awarding the World Cup. It's an indictment of the system over two decades.

Maybe FBI will confiscate Ronaldo's Ballon D'ors:thinking:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
True,it isn't like US cares about the dirt in FIFA .highly doubt anything would happen if it wasn't for the embarrassment for losing against Qatar got the WC 2022 bid

Nope, they do not, unless it's their own dirt which they conveniently feign ignorance over - they care only about the bottom line and how they can get their share

I am skeptical that much can change with respect to 2018 WC but seeing that it's Russia, anything is possible in this climate...2022 however, I could see things falling into place to kill it which would make most of the planet ecstatic

AURELIUS

The alternative is even worse. That dude that calls himself a prince or something is probably even more corrupt than this bastard.
No disrespect to Asia but when it comes to football they should stay on back seat and not trying to force themselves where they have no place.
It's either European or South American and noone else should even be considered.

South American football is as corrupt as it comes when talking about the head of the respective federations be it Leoz at Uruguay or Humberto Grondona (thankfully no longer with us) at Argentina and the head of the CBF. None of this is new news. Various media in South America reported immediately after the award of the World Cups for 2018/22 that large sums of money had entered several bank accounts linked to these men and their cronies.

FIFA should be reformed. Sponsors will shy away as they already are doing so, several federations are considering splitting away. Fingers crossed the end is nigh , the WC bidding is resumed and the way finances are allocated and received made transparent to all, and there are fixed terms for senior officials. Above all a slimming down of the overweening bureaucracy that it currently is with Sepp making politically minded payments to smaller federations to gain their support.

Yannik

Won't change a lot unfortunately. The FBI only cared about the money they got robbed off, not about the FIFA itself.
I just hope that my country boycotts the next 2 world cups in russia and especially qatar.
Just imagine it: A WC in which the reigning champion doesnt even participate, and maybe others would follow. That could be a wake-up call for Blatter, unfortunately that wont happen.

StarLord

And also they are spying are our calls in germany and also spying Angela Merkel

America are the biggest terrorist, they want to control the world. But they did good against fifa

The only reason the Anglo-powers are kicking up a fuss over FIFA at present is because the next World Cup is to be hosted by Russia and they want to stain that as much as possible, ideally, even to have it cancelled altogether or at least have a partial boycott. Things do not happen in the abstract.

StarLord

Won't change a lot unfortunately. The FBI only cared about the money they got robbed off, not about the FIFA itself.
I just hope that my country boycotts the next 2 world cups in russia and especially qatar.
Just imagine it: A WC in which the reigning champion doesnt even participate, and maybe others would follow. That could be a wake-up call for Blatter, unfortunately that wont happen.

https://twitter.com/FT/status/602398749911076864

Hidz

Don't think it will happen. But as soon as Germany, Netherlands, Spain, England, Italy etc drop out. Maybe some South American teams to, there is no real world cup left.
Or not one you would want to win.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The bigger issue/question which has largely been ignored in all of this, even before today, is how to clean up & maintain a somewhat democratic entity like FIFA...As someone else accurately pointed out before, FIFA is a bit like a small country with no system of regulation, accountability etc...They're headquartered in Switzerland but really are only governed by Swiss courts for actions that occur on soil here...Moreover, they aren't liable for taxes on the World Cups where they generate most of their revenue - either in the host country or CH...Which means they are incredibly rich, powerful & exempt from next to nothing in terms of regulation

So, Blatter isn't truly the problem, the organization & how it's set up & run is - regulate it and ensure taxes get to the appropriate bodies, that would be a good step

Home of Barca Fans