Ivan Rakitić

RMU ReBorn

Had a better game than best Dm evaaaaaa . He covers more distance than most players in our team . Would keep him along with either Vidal or Arthur as double pivot

ab739

Had a better game than best Dm evaaaaaa . He covers more distance than most players in our team . Would keep him along with either Vidal or Arthur as double pivot

Exactly. I think our best midfield for CL against the big teams will be Rakitic at DM with Arthur and Vidal in front of him

BBZ8800

So in your mind Rakitic is the pinnacle of fast buildup play against parked buses?

He's slower than either of them on the ball when it comes to decision making and progressing the attack. He walks so much that it's rare to ever see him break into a slow jog off the ball when we're holding possession let alone be constantly moving and shuffling to provide an outlet.

None of Raki, Arthur, Busquets is good in a fast build up play against parked buses.

Busquets is bad against anyone lately.
Arthur is slow aged 22, and extremely slow in a faster direct play. He never heard for a long ball, faster play or a forward pass.

Rakitic is slow and not good in tight spaces.

Yet, Raki can play a forward pass or a through ball.
Positionally, for now, Arthur occupies same area as Busquets (Messi and Dybala analogy).
Not to mention our defending in Busquets, Arthur, Coutinho trio.
For DonAndres, yes, Rakitic defends better and covers a larger area than any of our midfielders.
With or without stats.
Use an eye test.

Rakitic is only a few days here, and played already.
Coutinho is not a safe starter anymore.
Arthur was behind Roberto in a pecking order.

Our current midfield trio is:
Busquets, Rakitic, someone.

About Rakitic, btw, it really seems that Modric has given him some tips during a World cup.
Rakitic plays more confident than before, faster, and is trying a lot of longballs, like for Croatia.
Imo, this season he will be braver after a world cup success.
I expect more longpasses, more assists and more shooting attempts from him than in the last 2 seasons.

He doesn't pass to the closest teammate every single time, like Arthur.
So, I would say that his passing game is faster and less obvious than Arthur's.
And closer to a faster, direct play.
Even Croatia played more direct and with counters with him and Modric.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Busi is CDM though.. Rakitic back to CM like usual.. both below par yesterday.

I watched only 60 minutes yesterday.
Since Roberto was poor as a Cm, and Busi too deep, Rakitic was pulling all strings in midfield, unlike before.

His match yesterday was quite better imo than his average match in Barca's shirt.

If Dembele's show yesterday is classed as good here, then Rakitic was on the same or higher level.

Vilarrubi

I watched only 60 minutes yesterday.
Since Roberto was poor as a Cm, and Busi too deep, Rakitic was pulling all strings in midfield, unlike before.

His match yesterday was quite better imo than his average match in Barca's shirt.

If Dembele's show yesterday is classed as good here, then Rakitic was on the same or higher level.

Which 60 mins? The 2nd half he was fairly good.. first half pretty bad with passes straight to the opponent and getting caught out on the counter. Like I said on another post enjoyed his long balls.. wish he did it more.

Yesterday we were average all round. Thought Roberto was very poor in midfield, not bad when he moved to RB. Busi was below average.. Rakitic about average.

Dembele did some okay stuff other than that final pass or shot.

Only Messi and Coutinho has stand out performances.

Kul_z

Overall his game was on point like always, but he made wrong critical pass two games in a row, yesterday two or three. Dont do that, please raki

Joan

Amazing game. Unreal versatility. 3 positions yesterday, LCM, CDM, RCM, was good everywhere. Also, 3 long balls for Messi (2 of which wrongly called offside) were sweet.

BBZ8800

I don't think he ever had so many longballs at Barca.

Rakitic's longballs, Roberto as a starter, Dembele as a starter and a comment from one coach from La Masia yesterday how maybe we need changes, made me think that EV and our coaching staff are not happy with a slow shortpassing build up game "pass to the next guy" and imo, they will try a lot of new things this season to speed up our play.

Again, Rakitic has never tried so many longballs at Barca.
He was surely instructed to do that.

Chris242

I don't think he ever had so many longballs at Barca.

Rakitic's longballs, Roberto as a starter, Dembele as a starter and a comment from one coach from La Masia yesterday how maybe we need changes, made me think that EV and our coaching staff are not happy with a slow shortpassing build up game "pass to the next guy" and imo, they will try a lot of new things this season to speed up our play.

Again, Rakitic has never tried so many longballs at Barca.
He was surely instructed to do that.

+1

Home of Barca Fans