Zubizarreta: “We respect Valdés’ professional and irrevocable decision”

BerkeleyBernie

Valdes owes you nothing, he is going to pursue other challenges and that is that.

+1

It's amusing that before news of Valdes not renewing, you have a bunch of forumites screaming that he's shite and to replace him. Now that he has decided to pursue other challenges, he's a traitor for not wanting to stay at Barça.

Galning

It's amusing that before news of Valdes not renewing, you have a bunch of forumites screaming that he's shite and to replace him. Now that he has decided to pursue other challenges, he's a traitor for not wanting to stay at Barça.

Show me who. I haven't seen a single person who hated on Valdés say he wants him to stay and that he is a traitor because he wants to leave.

kresearch

Show me who. I haven't seen a single person who hated on Valdés say he wants him to stay and that he is a traitor because he wants to leave.

True. I don't hate Victor but I think he lowered his form in the last year and there don't seem to be signs of improvement. The same appears to be going on for Pique and Alves unfortunately. Their game have become a big hit-and-miss each time when played. I'd suspect players burn out but hey, Puyi has been here for longer and he still rocks. IMO, it is time to tighten the back line (including the goalkeeper). Too bad Pinto doesn't seem to be a better choice than VV. I wish Valdes good luck in his future endeavors. I suspect a move to a new team will re-fuel him and will be a successful next step in his career. It also gives Barca a convenient chance to staff their goal with a better candidate for the "boring" job there.

MarkYaeger

Agree. I know that finding a new CB has been a much higher priority as of late. I think whoever comes in to replace VV is gonna be at the top of their game trying to impress the fans and staff, not to mention players, of the biggest club in the world. Should make for a very hungry and eager keeper.

Leo10Messi

I respect Valdes decision not to renew his contract. And while I agree that his performance levels have gone down recently, I still would have been quite happy to see him renew his contract. But now that he has decided to leave, I can only wish him best of luck. I just hope that we sign a good GK in the summer transfer window and allow him to integrate with the team while Valdes is still there. I would not want someone to come in and straight away start playing games. I think Tim Krul and Michel Vorm are good options. I also like Pepe Reina but not sure if Liverpool will let him go for a small amount and at his age, we may not be ready to pay big money for him.

Leo10Messi

What is the reason for all this confusion? Raul left, we wished him the best. Guti left, we wished him the best. Cule insecurity is just too much. Pep left for more money elsewhere, why can't Valdes? He has given you a lot more than what you deserve anyway and he is done. I wonder what you will call Messi if he eventually decides to prove himself in Serie A with Inter Milan (you know Zanetti and Cambiasso will send him there eventually). He will go from Messiah to Judas.

Valdes owes you nothing, he is going to pursue other challenges and that is that.

It is a ridiculous argument. "Guti left and we wished him luck, Raul left and we wished him luck." Both these were surplus to the requirements at Madrid and hence they were allowed to go. Neither Guti not Raul were automatic starters when they left the club. If CR7 does not renew his contract and leaves in next couple of seasons, we will see how much luck you will wish him.

oz187

I don't get why people are upset at him announcing he's going to leave. When was honesty a thing to be frowned upon? If a player does it to force a move or push for a better contract then yeah maybe you can castigate him. In Valdés case he's given the club plenty of time to find someone, maybe even get a deal in place this summer.

0n0mat0p0eia

+1

Probably it's different ppl thinking he's a traitor than the ones thinking he was 'shite', unless you have the proof of your post?
Good luck to him is my opinion - even though i dont think he is in the top rank of goalkeepers. It's who we get to replace him is my main concern now.

0n0mat0p0eia

Asmir Begovic of Stoke would be a good replacement: he's a good shot-stopper, can handle crosses being in the EPL, AND he's 1.96m tall (6'5" in proper money)

BigBarcaBoy

Asmir Begovic of Stoke would be a good replacement: he's a good shot-stopper, can handle crosses being in the EPL, AND he's 1.96m tall (6'5" in proper money)
Begovic must have the best agent in football, don't get me wrong he is a good keeper but United, Cheslki and Barca ?

Home of Barca Fans