Matthijs de Ligt

soul24rage

does Juve have the $ to buy De Ligt at that rumoured fee, agent fee and wages? I imagine that spending the money on CR might make it more difficult for them to sign De Ligt.

Joan

If it weren't for rumors, Juve and Bayern would be my last guesses to overpay for a CB.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If it weren't for rumors, Juve and Bayern would be my last guesses to overpay for a CB.

Don't know about Bayern but Juventus sure value their defense well - I mean, they made Buffon the most expensive goal keeper in 2001 who still remains the most expensive goal keeper in the history! And he was their most expensive purchase that point in time

To give you a perspective, Juventus bought Lilian Thuram that same year who is actually their 4th most expensive transfer; their fifth most expensive transfer which they made this year is also a defender

Last edited:

Newcomer

does Juve have the $ to buy De Ligt at that rumoured fee, agent fee and wages? I imagine that spending the money on CR might make it more difficult for them to sign De Ligt.

Juve, thanks to CR7 transfer, got a new improved deal with Adidas : http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/juventus-adidas-kit-deal
Juve has done incredibly well this last decade in sporting and business dealings.

Since Raiola is involved, i would think about Juve and Manchester United as prime candidates.
Then comes Barça, PSG.
Real Madrid is a bit weird in their dealing, i dont see them spending that much on unproven CB.
Bayern Munich already got Pavard and Lucas Hernandez seems a better fit for them. Like Pavard, he can cover well(contrary to his fellow countryman) the wing. Transfer fee would be similar, contacts seem deep between them and you dont have to give lot of money constantly to Raiola.

Thing is, it is practically impossible to predict where he will end. Morata was supposed to go to MU and, then, went to Chelsea when their target Lukaku chose MU.
MU is after Koulibaly first i think. Should it fail, they will go strong for him or Hernandez if he has not moved yet. They are used to deal with Raiola (Lukaku, Pogba, Mkhytarian).

Raiola is a good friend of PSG too since Maxwell, our sporting director assistant, is basically a Raiola proxy. He uses him to try and sign some yougnsters from our academy. Also, he had Zlatan, Matuidi at PSG and currently Areola and Verratti (PSG told Verratti to take Raiola when they made him fire his old agent).

Anyway, Raiola = money and i'm not sure it is wise to spend that much on a CB that isn't already world class.

Joan

Don't know about Bayern but Juventus sure value their defense well - I mean, they made Buffon the most expensive goal keeper in 2001 who still remains the most expensive goal keeper in the history!

To give you a perspective, Juventus bought Lilian Thuram that same year who is actually their 4th most expensive; their fifth most expensive transfer which they made this year is also a defender

Not saying they don't, just didn't think they could spend that much after signing Ronaldo.

Don't think Buffon's still the most expensive GK. Alisson and Kepa are surely ahead. But right, I slightly underrated them.

soul24rage

Juve, thanks to CR7 transfer, got a new improved deal with Adidas : http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/juventus-adidas-kit-deal
Juve has done incredibly well this last decade in sporting and business dealings.

Since Raiola is involved, i would think about Juve and Manchester United as prime candidates.
Then comes Barça, PSG.
Real Madrid is a bit weird in their dealing, i dont see them spending that much on unproven CB.
Bayern Munich already got Pavard and Lucas Hernandez seems a better fit for them. Like Pavard, he can cover well(contrary to his fellow countryman) the wing. Transfer fee would be similar, contacts seem deep between them and you dont have to give lot of money constantly to Raiola.

Thing is, it is practically impossible to predict where he will end. Morata was supposed to go to MU and, then, went to Chelsea when their target Lukaku chose MU.
MU is after Koulibaly first i think. Should it fail, they will go strong for him or Hernandez if he has not moved yet. They are used to deal with Raiola (Lukaku, Pogba, Mkhytarian).

Raiola is a good friend of PSG too since Maxwell, our sporting director assistant, is basically a Raiola proxy. He uses him to try and sign some yougnsters from our academy. Also, he had Zlatan, Matuidi at PSG and currently Areola and Verratti (PSG told Verratti to take Raiola when they made him fire his old agent).

Anyway, Raiola = money and i'm not sure it is wise to spend that much on a CB that isn't already world class.

Thanks for the link, Juve really has done well in the business side this decade. I think Juve is the main candidate to get him as most of their CBs are old with the Raiola factor.

For me, I feel that Man Utd will be looking for a more experienced CB like Alderweireld. Utd had spent too much $$ on transfers without much gain and I feel that they will be looking for a cheaper player who is familiar with the league and can guarantee good performances.

You might know a lot more than I do, but with PSG playing more with a back three, maybe you guys need De Ligt to replace Thiago Silva? With FFP and the need for a CM, maybe a CB is a 2nd priority?

I think for Barca, the board will look at how the CBs perform like Murillo and Todibo (who might get loaned to another club or to us) for the rest of the season and how Umtiti recover before making their decision.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Thanks for the link, Juve really has done well in the business side this decade. I think Juve is the main candidate to get him as most of their CBs are old with the Raiola factor.

You might know a lot more than I do, but with PSG playing more with a back three, maybe you guys need De Ligt to replace Thiago Silva? With FFP and the need for a CM, maybe a CB is a 2nd priority?

Since the summer of Neymar/Mbappe, PSG has succesfully closed the insiders informations, unless they want it to go out. No one in France reported Tuchel to PSG before it was very close while it was done months ago. Tuchel was even spending time in Belgique to learn french. No one knew about Kehrer deal. In fact, the news was broken by Schalke 04, during a random pre match press, as a done deal and dusted.

Here, for de Ligt, Paris United talked about him months ago along with de Jong. It is the very bomb of De Telegraff, with Paris trying to make a deal for the latter, that sparked the news regarding de Ligt to PSG.
To be honest, i have no idea why we would be in for de Ligt, since we have 1 fucking midfielder and we just bought Kehrer. We have currently Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Kehrer and Nsoki as CB.
Due to the lack in some areas, Marquinhos is being played in midfield and Kehrer Nasoki often on the flanks. Still, Nsoki aside, those are all players considered to enjoy first team playing time.
My guess is that they are anticipating Thiago Silva departure (even if he is still our best CB by far) and wants to invest for a very long time for an expected top CB. Even by PSG standards, his 12 M/year are very very high. Only few (and they have proven over the years) have more than that (Neymar, TS, Cavani for sure; Mbappé, Verratti, Mrquinhos around that number). Also, PSG has an habit to go big for opportunity and think after: Neymar then Mbappé even if you cannot rebuild the midfield. de Jong then de Ligt cuz you cant miss out.
Still, we need so much more improvement, i'm not so sure it would be wise. Cavani has become sooo bad, our keepers are meh, our full backs are shit and we need new midfielders.
So all in all, if he were to come, i would be somewhat happy => means we will keep playing 3 at the back and Kehrer would be competent to defend the right flank instead of Meunier. However, our team would still be very unbalanced.

Pritority in PSG should be :
- 3 good midfielders then
- sell Cavani and get a good one with link up play and decent finishing and then
- full backs or de Light with Kehrer playing wide and Marquinhos going in midfield 3 and covering defence.

Arizona Scott

1. Give me a few names who posses similar qualities and talent compared to De Ligt.

2. Name me one defensive talent who has the same or close to the same high quality cocktail of mental, physical and technical attributes.

Let us see, if your comment is actually based on something solid.

De Ligt is freaken 19 years old. He has the highest market value rating of all U23 defenders (22 year old Lucas Hernandez next) and nearly double that of the next U21 center backs (Joe Gomez and Milenkovic).

Of course Barca has to assess on their own and judge relative to price and deal--but he is the highest rated young center back in quite some time, not even close.

1. We don't need to have the most talented CBs in the world. Our best teams were know for strength in midfield and forward.
2. We had one of the best CBs in the world in Umtiti and Lenglet replaced him without being too much of a downgrade.
3. I don't know all the upcoming young talents, but looking at established players gives you an indication. There are far more world-class CBs than strikers or midfielders right now.

Sorry, I think you could hardly be more wrong. Barca's European titles and best teams had players like peak Pique and Puyol snuffing out threats in the center. Top CBs are absolutely critical, and allow the rest of the team to lean offensively because their judgement and ability is so good when there are counters and 1v1s. To look at another case VVD has made Liverpool 3 times as good as they are without him.

MessiDinho10

90 million is nothing if he plays at the club for 10 years. He even has resale value then. Only problem is that it might be too much of a load for him to carry.

Zidane82

Excuse copy and paste

Francesc Aguilar (Mundo Deportivo Journalist) also reports: “A friend of mine who has all the information of Ajax tells me that Barça have reached an agreement with Matthijs De Ligt for a summer transfer. The deal with Ajax isn’t finalised but their is an agreement at the verbal level.

FC B

90 million is nothing if he plays at the club for 10 years. He even has resale value then. Only problem is that it might be too much of a load for him to carry.

Exactly, I'd go for him paying up to 100m for all the transfer costs, it worths. He looks like a monster of a defender at just 19 years of age, insanenly solid player if you ask me. He could easily turn into a gem of a defender for us for more than a decade, think about that.

FCBfan22

I think the journos have trouble mixing up De Jong and De Ligt. Going for De Ligt now, since we "reserved" Todibo, makes no sense.

Givenchy

Exactly, I'd go for him paying up to 100m for all the transfer costs, it worths. He looks like a monster of a defender at just 19 years of age, insanenly solid player if you ask me. He could easily turn into a gem of a defender for us for more than a decade, think about that.

monster of a defender potentially but Raiola will likely end up his full time agent and its just not worth the hassle that fat bastard comes with

Home of Barca Fans