Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
MARC BERNAL

Date of birth: May 26, 2007
Height: 1,88 m
Position: Defensive Midfield

----

Saw him being discussed already. He is that good?

Andresito

Staff member
Seems like he's better as an 8/box-box rather than a DM, even scored 2 goals in one match recently.

Xavi rates follows him closely. And also this: Marc Bernal's development is going so fast that no one at the club dares to put a ceiling on his potential. @didacpeyret

Porque

The Nico Gonzalez conundrum of where is his best position.

Seems to be a fair bit better though.

JamDav1982

Not really. He is a DM and thats where has played in his time in youth set up primarily.

Has a much better range of passing than Nico to play there would think.

Nico was all over the midfield when younger from a '10' to more of a DM as got to B team.

Bernal strikes a great ball.. whether that be zings from deep or strikes on goal with either foot.

Reminds me of Rodri at this stage.. DM where think he will settle but has enough about him to play other positions if required.

He will play for first team this season would think and thought that few months back as soon as seen how well he looked in B team.

Last edited:

Porque

Yeah that sounds fair.

Got enough game about him that plays well in both spots. And the UYL seems like it is about giving Prim minutes in the DMC spot that he is not getting in the B with Bernal taking the step above him.

Nico was good in both at the B but Bernal is certainly more natural.

I don't think Xavi is going to be particularly slow with bringing Bernal into first team dynamics either. Oriol has been poor and there likely won't be a big budget for a decent DMC signing. But will a decent DMC signing give us anything more than what Bernal could?

XAvi is surely keeping Busi breakthrough in mind, should really be looking for the right window to give Bernal a first team shot. Certainly before we (potentially) look at the transfer market and especially if on a tight budget.

JamDav1982

Xavi will still want Zubimendi...who has looked very good this season.

Arsenal going to try and pay the 60m for him and Kubo in Jan or summer it would seem so may be a fight on.

Zubimendi with Bernal as minutes behind that would appear at moment to be ideal scenario.

Hopefully the budget is not a tight if they change the rules as expected and then there is also player sales and renewals to release some FFP room.

I still think Barca may try to move on Lewa in summer and sign Morata for free. That in itself frees up a lot of room FFP wise then have Fati, Ferran, Raphinha etc could all be sold on and one of the CBs also or even one of the CMs if there are too many when other areas of team weak.

Porque

Completely forgot about Zubi. But yeah, if we have the budget for him then 60m is nothing the way the market has gone.

Same with Kubo really.

Your suggestion makes alot of sense. Got to expect Morata to have a big money offer from Saudi too though which we obviously won't be able to compete with.

JamDav1982

Barca would probably try to say to Morata have another couple seasons where 'relevant' in football and grow stock higher through playing at Barca before moving on to Saudi at 33/34.

Maybe Xavi no longer interested in Morata but he is having a good season and to have him to bridge gap with Roque and allow a lot of FFP room to be released could be something they are looking at.

Could even extend Lewa in Jan to free up space for Roque if can also renew FDJ ect and enough is cleared... then still see if can sell Lewa in summer.

Messi983

Don't see Lewa moving to SA tbf.

Think he's more likely to finish his contract here and then go to MLS.

Messi983

Even if he is on the bench if Roque comes and does well? I think Lewa's ego is to big for that.

Problem is I don't see Xavi benching Lewa for Roque. But then I also didn't expect he would drop Alba for Balde last season.

Anyway, Roque ideally shouldn't be made immediate starter. That's why it would be great if we could get him in January so he can adapt and we can see what we have in him before making decisions next summer. But if he only joins in summer then I fully expect Lewa to stay another season and start most games.

Home of Barca Fans