Imanol Alguacil

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Real Sociedad coach who got them to play probably the best football in La Liga.

Sport runs a story how Barca delegation met him at the Marca Awards this week in Barcelona.

Imanol received the award for best coach and there he coincided with Joan Laporta, Deco, Pedri and the entire Barcelona representation who did not hide his affection for the realistic coach.

Laporta congratulated him and told him that they play football that he loves.
Deco also came to show interest in him and even Pedri admitted that in his house they are great admirers of his style.

Mrgandalf

Curious member
Probably another Valverde or Setien. Good but not enough for our sick environment. And also a low profile panicking choice.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Probably another Valverde or Setien. Good but not enough for our sick environment. And also a low profile panicking choice.

I see your point. And yeah, we do need a guy who understands the pressure working here and dealing with stars.
I just pointed out the fact that since we see these stories in Catalan press one could argue Xavi is circling in the sink

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Good manager, but no thanks.

Been his entire career at Real Sociedad, and while there are no guarantees out there I just hope for once this club can be a bit more ambitious with guys like Ruben Amorim, Roberto De Zerbi.

Porque

Recall prior to this season that it was a running joke that this guy consistently manages to get pummelled by Barca.

Doing a fabulous job at Sociedad and to be fair the club are backing him in the market.

Wouldn't want him here though. You just know it will be another Lopetegui, Unai, Juande Ramos, etc case of the elite clubs being too big for them.

Messi983

There is a lot to like about Imanol, I think he would do well in a team without the amigos.

He plays good football but can also be more pragmatic when needed. Has developed tactically over years adapting his formation to the players he has at his disposal (I think a sign of a good coach is he adapts tactics to the players not trying to fit players into his prefered tactics at all costs) and most important has experience working in a club that's known for developing/promoting their own youngsters. Which is something we should and (in current financial state) probably will continue to depend on in near future. Clearly wouldn't be the same coming here working with the players he has no previous experience with unlike in Sociedad where he managed almost half of current first team players already in their B team years ago though.

Ofc there is also always a risk taking a coach who has only proven himself in one club that he knows extremely well. How would he adapt elsewhere? I don't know but I think he could get Catalan media on his side (unlike Koeman who despite being a club legend never managed to do that) which is very important but obviously in the end how much support he would get would depend on the product we'd see on the pitch.

Yes, Barca could prove to be too big for him but then that's the case with someone like De Zerbi as well. He's not coached at a big club that's expected to compete for titles either so far (if we exclude that short stint at Shakhtar). So why would he do better here than Imanol when he (probably) doesn't even speak Spanish? Don't get me wrong, I like RDZ (although his rotations are very strange and his teams can't defend if their lives depend on that) but he's far from a sure fire bet. Especially at Barca in our current state when he would likely be seen as a saviour by most fans but these same people would give up on him after a month or two if he wouldn't get off to the best start.

serghei

Yes, Barca could prove to be too big for him but then that's the case with someone like De Zerbi as well. He's not coached at a big club that's expected to compete for titles either so far (if we exclude that short stint at Shakhtar). So why would he do better here than Imanol when he (probably) doesn't even speak Spanish? Don't get me wrong, I like RDZ (although his rotations are very strange and his teams can't defend if their lives depend on that) but he's far from a sure fire bet. Especially at Barca in our current state when he would likely be seen as a saviour by most fans but these same people would give up on him after a month or two if he wouldn't get off to the best start.

I don't get the big fuss about De Zerbi either. He's not even more impressive than Emery as far as B team managers are concerned.

If I'd take a bet on an unexperienced dude after Xavi, I'd have Alguasil ahead.

Let's see De Zerbi vs some solid side in EL knockouts. A match he'd be under pressure to win.

JamDav1982

That's old news lol. Barca won their CL group this season.

By beating some Europa level teams.

One has Brighton.. one has failed in Europa twice in a row with Barca.

Would have been another humiliation not to win this group and not some huge achievement to do it.

Xavis test in Europe comes when meets better sides and could be third failure in a row.

serghei

By beating some Europa level teams.

One has Brighton.. one has failed in Europa twice in a row with Barca.

Would have been another humiliation not to win this group and not some huge achievement to do it.

Xavis test in Europe comes when meets better sides and could be third failure in a row.

Porto played in CL knockouts last season and lost 0-1 vs eventual finalists.

It's not a top team, but still a good one.

Home of Barca Fans