Eric Garcia (loaned to Girona)

Gnidrologist

Still don't think he has the attributes to play there. Very different playing in midfield compared to CB. The same issues he has at CB will still be there for the dm position. Slow weak poor positioning and reading of the games at times and of course the usually brainfart.
I always thought passing range and IQ is his best attribute, which is why playing further away from back line, where his brainfarts can still be mitigated by defenders, would be better solution. But i suspect he could just become next, lower grade Busi there. Good with ball at his feet, but leaving gaps for opponents to exploit.
In any way, we're not loosing anything by trying him there as Busquets has 0 defensive proves now, he's just a cone. Until we have actual physical DM, can as well play Garcia, who is tad faster and benefit of youth.

Last edited:

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
I always thought passing range and IQ is his best attribute, which is why playing further away from back line, where his brainfarts can still be mitigated by defenders, would be better solution. But i suspect he could just become next, lower grade Busi there. Good with ball at his feet, but leaving gaps for opponents to exploit.
In any way, we're not loosing anything by trying him there as Busquets has 0 defensive proves now, he's just a cone. Until we have actual physical DM, can as well play Garcia, who is tad faster and benefit of youth.

The spatial awareness required for a midfielder is very different to a CB. Midfielders need to constantly scan and position in both phases of play (at CB the game is effectively played in front of him). In midfield he needs to know how to make the right passes under pressure it's not like at CB where you can usually just pass it backwards without fear (for the most part). This means that the passing lanes are very different to when he is CB.

Then we can get on to the rest of his flaws and it doesn't look good. Could it work sure, I wouldn't mind trying it but yeah let's see.

Porque

It went as you would expect. Was nice in parts but played like a defender who had advanced to the midfield space while carrying the ball rather than a defensive midfielder.

Maybe we can return to this experiment in another weak fixture, but I'm sure that a B team player like Casado, or Garrido if Xavi prefers him (though not a DMC) will not show anything less in a double pivot. At least they have spent the last 10+ years in that space and understand it naturally.

It's not 15 years ago where Marquez or Edmilson could bepved to DMC and perform because the build up and press was slow and/or non existent.

Nazario1985

Better in DCM?

I don't think he has the brain to step into the midfield, he seems lost like chicken in the highways.

If we can offload him for 10M (have no idea who is willing to pay this) and buy some German CB it will be a win for us.

Porque

He will be a very good CB or even double pivot when he is 25/26 after some years at Celta Vigo.

Not good enough for us to invest time in right now. Physically too limited.

xXKonan

Eric Garcia will NOT leave FC Barcelona this summer! The decision has been made & Xavi is counting on him next season; his place is 100% guaranteed. However, he will no longer play as a centre-back. His role has changed & he will play as the defensive midfielder, replacing Sergio Busquets.
@fansjavimiguel

JamDav1982

He was decent at weekend and those two one on ones he played offside trap perfectly but Araujo, Kounde and Baldes positioning was poor.

Probably best passer of ball in Barca team that game also.

Still makes too many rash decisions and goes in to win ball early probably as know on to a loser if leaves it to physical/pace battle at times.

They are trying all angles the fuck up they made by not signings a DM last season.

Interesting to see how he would get on at DM with FDJ to cover for him and be the brains of the midfield balance as Busi gets.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Eric Garcia will NOT leave FC Barcelona this summer! The decision has been made & Xavi is counting on him next season; his place is 100% guaranteed. However, he will no longer play as a centre-back. His role has changed & he will play as the defensive midfielder, replacing Sergio Busquets.
@fansjavimiguel
if that's the case don't fucking renew busquets and play this guy every game from now on to see if it will work next season.

Home of Barca Fans