Athletic Club de Bilbao

Cule4life

The Culest
Is it true Bilbao never negotiate in transfers, and can only sell their players if another team activates their release clause? somebody mentioned this to me, and it seemed a bit far fetched.

They dont negotiate when the player is a prized asset and a big club wants to buy him. Obviously this doesnt apply to the deadwood they want to get rid of.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
We've officially signed Borja Viguera from Alaves. Interesting signing since he did alright in Segunda and we don't really have anything to lose with signing a new striker. I hope he clicks here and excels so that we won't always be relying on 33 year old Aduriz.

I hope Valverde takes special consideration for promoting Unai Lopez. Aketxe and co. always get the hype but he's my favorite prospect right now (Iniesta style technique with constant energy) and he could really become something special.

J

Jamie Cal

God, I'd kill for Laporte. Especially being a left-footed/left-sided defender.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Ander Herrera now finally off to United it seems. 36-38 buyout clause will be paid. I really hope Benat will do well next season filling in that role in midfield, loved him at Betis. Had a nice start but fell back quite a bit last season...

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Great result for Athletic against Napoli away, goal from Muniain and several players having fantastic performances. 2nd leg will be crucial, the team needs to be very prepared.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Despite the penalty, not a bad 1st half. Malaga brought their A game today but select players performed very well in the 1st half (Iturraspe, Benat, and Muniain particularly). The passing play is great and Benat is excelling in his free role. With the Iturraspe/Rico spine to support him he gets the freedom to move into open space and between lines to link up play and spread passes. That deep #10 position might be his best.

Gurpegi was unbelievably bad so far. Idiotic defending that led to the penalty, a stupid yellow card, and brain farts all throughout.

barcanuck

Just like arsenal they have one eye on the CL match. Both arsenal and Basques sacrificing league points for cL money.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Gongratz! Amazing game. I always support Spanish teams in UCL or in Europa League, but not Real.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Happy for them, great atmosphere at San Mames.

Muniain was well marked today, but Aduriz and Iturraspe were great. Beñat was good too.

CatalinR10

giphy.gif

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Fantastic, absolutely beautiful stuff today. The roar of the San Mames, the comeback and fighting spirit, couldn't possibly be happier. Had a very difficult opponent yet convincingly won regardless of the lack of CL experience. It's a big season ahead and I hope Athletic can have a historical one, aside from that opening-round robbery in La Liga of course.

Iturraspe showing once again why he is a world class player with Aduriz again rising to the occasion. Couldn't be happier, especially with Unai's CL debut and assist.

JamDav1982

Fantastic, absolutely beautiful stuff today. The roar of the San Mames, the comeback and fighting spirit, couldn't possibly be happier. Had a very difficult opponent yet convincingly won regardless of the lack of CL experience. It's a big season ahead and I hope Athletic can have a historical one, aside from that opening-round robbery in La Liga of course.

Iturraspe showing once again why he is a world class player with Aduriz again rising to the occasion. Couldn't be happier, especially with Unai's CL debut and assist.

Iturraspe is class, was wanting Barca to move for him last season!

Who else played well? How did Benat do... he never seems to last 90 mins whenever I watch him. Not sure Valverde has 100% faith in him.

Great to see them win, proper team with a soul!

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Iturraspe is class, was wanting Barca to move for him last season!

Who else played well? How did Benat do... he never seems to last 90 mins whenever I watch him. Not sure Valverde has 100% faith in him.

Great to see them win, proper team with a soul!

Benat doesn't play badly and does his fair share in terms of linkup and workrate. It's just that people will remember that right after his sub is when the goals started coming in.

I don't think he fits the kind of attack minded system that Valverde wants. With mobile and dynamic AM's like Muniain/Unai/etc. it's easier to send in wave after wave of attack at speed to break teams down. Benat would be more of a necessity if Iturraspe/Rico were purely defense-minded midfielders but their passing and movement is great so we're not lacking in fluidity whatsoever.

Muniain seems to be taking on the level of responsibility where he can handle that CAM role part time at least while Ibai gets some starts, Unai to me is a better prospect than Aketxe and is the best prospect to come in after Laporte, and Benat really is solid enough to get game time there even if he isn't what we might need. Overall, the squad is well covered for the future except maybe Iraola's replacement and Gurpegi playing like trash.

Home of Barca Fans