Playing him wide when Suarez is out is borderline retarded.
A question for guys who watched him more often at Atletico:
Was he always THIS slow?
I think that he was never a speedy guy, but was decent.
But he has already lost a lot of pace.
Maybe he is one of those players who are hit with a physical decline at the age of 28.
Science also says that an absolute peak of pacey wingers is up to the age of 27.
Also, there was an article which I posted a few weeks ago which said that Griezz's numbers have declined a lot in his last Atletico year.
Now, my theory is, what if:
1. He is already physically declining since he will be 29 in March?
2. And since he played for 5 years under Simeone at Atletico, who is a very physically demanding coach... and since he played 50+ matches for Atletico in 5 years (257 in total) plus 74 matches for France in that time.
That means that he played around 66 full matches for 5 seasons in a row.
Imo, there is a high possibility that his body is severly drained after this and that it could have speeded up his physical decline.
(Look at Rakitic after being overplayed for 5 years in a row. He can barely run and move today, as if he is 45.)
Remember that Arda was also only 28 when he came from Atletico and he was more or less finished in that age.
So, a question is: what if we have paid 120m for a guy who is more or less done and on a fast physical decline?
** There was one counter on the left yesterday, he recived a through ball.
He had 2-3 meters of advantage infront of defenders, but he was caught after 10 meters.
And passed to Dembele.
Commentators said: he didn't even try to run into the box, as if he knew that we will get caught. Lol.
We bought another turtle slow attacker.
This one can't even dribble.
Plus his finishing is declining for 2 years, according to stats.
It's kind of amazing he hasn't been tested as a striker, or as a false nine, but Vidal of all people got that role. To be brutally honest I am not sure about his level anymore. But this happens with every single player we buy under EV.
Playing him wide is retarded.
But playing him in the middle is only 1% better than playing him wide.
If you play him as a 9:
1. he will drop deep to defend into our box and the most often won't be in the opponent's half
2. when he is in the opponent's half, he again likes to drop deep to some sort of a CAM position to create and pass the ball to "someone else" who is actually a NO9, like Giroud, Costa and similar
3. if he will somehow end around the box, if you give him the ball:
1) he will be tackled since he is insanely slow
2) he can't dribble because he is slow and can't dribble
3) plus, his finishing in the last year and a half is horribly inaccurate
Basically, the only use of him as a no9 are some simple tap ins, some loose balls into the box falling to his feet, some rare headers and actions when he has 20 meters advantage over defenders, so he will have time to run and actually try a shot without players tackling him.
I hope not lol, I'd rather we go for other players. 250m or so for a 28 year old winger? That's just atrocious business.