Franck Kessie

Rory

You watched the game yesterday? That was pretty much his basic level this season (apart from his post WC hangover and when he played with Roberto/Kessie).

So, how do you rate his performance? Good or bad? For me it's clear, the way he turns under pressure has been quite beneficial for the team. He's a quality talent, which is very obvious to see.
His performances as a whole this season have not been very good. He's had a few good games. I can name several youngsters who have had good games here and there for us over the last 20 years, I'm sure you could too. How many of them turned out to be a genuinely excellent player?

I think he's average on the ball, not great at driving forward when we have the opportunity to do so. He doesn't have a great range of passing and misplaces far too many passes. He's too rash into a tackle and as a result gives away lots of pointless freekicks and picks up unnecessary cards. He's not particularly good at shooting close distance or long distance. He can also at times lack the technique to simply receive the ball when under pressure.

That doesn't mean I'm some Gavi hater. I think he's clearly a talented lad in some ways and it's great we have an 18 year old that has some talent. On top of that I love his heart and passion for the club, we need more players with that mentality and love for the club. What I don't think we should do is ignore all of his shortcomings. He needs to massively improve in every area. He hasn't shown many signs of improving this season and I think us relying on a very raw 18 year old doesn't bode well for our midfield.

khaled_a_d

Curious as to who people think is a better fit (that we can reasonably afford) for the 4th choice midfielder squad role. Sure, sell if there's genuine profit to be made and if his sale is useful. But I wouldn't say Gavi has been better than him this season. Pedri has been injured far too often. Busquets is leaving. Frenkie will need rest and has had the odd injury.

Getting rid of an ok player happy to mostly be on the bench seems a rash choice.

Gundogan most likely. A FDJ, Pedri, Gavi & Gundogan rotation, with a new DM and new LW?
Although Gundogan isn't a done deal, so I would say it depends on what happens with that deal. If we get the German then selling Kessie is a no brainer, if we don't then I would keep him as I doubt we can get a better alternative tbh

mc_lovin

That’s just the most negative outlook on him. Personally I can’t name many youngsters with his kind of standing over the last 20 years.

He plays a very specific role for us right now, but his technique, movement and shielding of the ball are all top-class. Just watch a random highlight video of him. Making him out to be average is a really weird ducking trend here.

Rory

That’s just the most negative outlook on him. Personally I can’t name many youngsters with his kind of standing over the last 20 years.

He plays a very specific role for us right now, but his technique, movement and shielding of the ball are all top-class. Just watch a random highlight video of him. Making him out to be average is a really weird ducking trend here.
Almost taking what I've said personally.

Pointed out flaws in his game and highlighted things I like. Nothing negative about that. If what I had wrote was some strangely negative take you'd have easily refuted the points I made.

Making Gavi out to be some high quality player is no good for us or him. Got plenty to improve on and hopefully he does.

JamDav1982

His movement is not top class. Hence why he struggles often to get on ball.

Closing down and shows good workrate doesnt equate to 'top class movement' at all.

His positioning and awareness are a weakness.

Neither is his shiieldig of ball top class. He turns into trouble a lot and ends up losing ball or diving for a foul due to it.

'Technique'... no not even close to top class and others like FDJ and Pedri far ahead on this and have more on ball and passing it currently by a long way.

The 'weird' trend is trying to make out Gavi has 'top class' movement and shielding of ball when his positioning and awareness need to improve massively.

'Top Class technique, positioning and shielding of ball' but struggles to use these to impact game and looks lost at CM... nah doesnt add up.

Those are all things he needs to work to improve on to be a top player.

mc_lovin

Almost taking what I've said personally.

Pointed out flaws in his game and highlighted things I like. Nothing negative about that. If what I had wrote was some strangely negative take you'd have easily refuted the points I made.

Making Gavi out to be some high quality player is no good for us or him. Got plenty to improve on and hopefully he does.

Calling him average on the ball is just something I vehemently oppose. But you do you, I won’t disrespect your opinion.

JamDav1982

For top teams he is absolutely currently average on the ball.

Loses it often and doesnt shown any great range of passing etc.

Nearer to Roberto/Kessie on ball than Pedri/FDJ currently.

mc_lovin

I put you on ignore. Just see „ignored member“ in the main menu. Don’t even see your messages in the threads since the update (before just the content was hidden).

Don’t bother, I don’t read them. Also very good decision on my part, recommend you do the same.

JamDav1982

I put you on ignore. Just see „ignored member“ in the main menu. Don’t even see your messages in the threads since the update (before just the content was hidden).

Don’t bother, I don’t read them. Also very good decision on my part, recommend you do the same.

Keep me on ignore. Good lad. Fully aware.

Makes it easier to call out your nonsense.

Fact I respond and you cant see it is perfect.

Andresito

Staff member
Gundogan most likely. A FDJ, Pedri, Gavi & Gundogan rotation, with a new DM and new LW?
Although Gundogan isn't a done deal, so I would say it depends on what happens with that deal. If we get the German then selling Kessie is a no brainer, if we don't then I would keep him as I doubt we can get a better alternative tbh
Woah you gonna let this pass @Horatio?

Home of Barca Fans