CL | Round of 16: PSG - FC Barcelona (5-2 agg)

BarcaOG

Banned
So, in his 6 peak years he got 3 cls.. not 1 in 10.
Pretty.good.

It's a decent record, no doubt, but considering he is supposed to be the very best, it could (and should have) been better. Maldini and Seedorf, for example, have 5 CLs; as does CR.

I don't think anyone here denies he could/should have won a couple more. The question is whether that is entirely his fault (of course, it isn't), his coaches (probably more), the Club's (i.e. Barto signing a thousand broken players for 100m), and other factors. I think a fair assessment would include elements from each of these factors.

Luis Suarez

So the question is whether Messi will ever win a Champions League again if he stays in Barcelona. I'm not so sure he will, given our performances vs Bayern and Paris. Which is why he was angling for a move to City/Paris: La Ligas are great but Champions Leagues make legends.

serghei

Not only at Barca. He won't win another one except if he goes to a team that is already one of the favorites, like Bayern, Liverpool, City, or PSG.

Luis Suarez

Not only at Barca. He won't win another one except if he goes to a team that is already one of the favorites, like Bayern, Liverpool, City, or PSG.

That seems to be the case, yes.

Think he'll stay with Barcelona, which means he won't any more Champions Leagues. That'd be a pity. His talent deserves at least two more.

Luis Suarez

Well. CL isn't exactly a cupcake competition to win. A lot of things have to go right, even with a good team. His talent deserves at least two more.

That's the thing isn't it. A lot of folks say the domestic league is more important and more representative of a team's consistency throughout the season but the players themselves prize the Champions League (at the elite club level) above all else. It's simply the most prestigious, by far. The players themselves say as much, and I'd think they'd know football more than most.

KingLeo10

That's the thing isn't it. A lot of folks say the domestic league is more important and more representative of a team's consistency throughout the season but the players themselves prize the Champions League (at the elite club level) above all else. It's simply the most prestigious, by far. The players themselves say as much, and I'd think they'd know football more than most.

Agree.

I prize 1 CL as much as 2-3 LL. 2 if the league is really strong like LL was in the 2010s. 3 if it's weaker.

JohnN

It's a decent record, no doubt, but considering he is supposed to be the very best, it could (and should have) been better. Maldini and Seedorf, for example, have 5 CLs; as does CR.

I don't think anyone here denies he could/should have won a couple more. The question is whether that is entirely his fault (of course, it isn't), his coaches (probably more), the Club's (i.e. Barto signing a thousand broken players for 100m), and other factors. I think a fair assessment would include elements from each of these factors.

Maldini and seedorf both great players.
Both have more cls than messi. What does that tell us?
Absolutely nothing except if they are supposed to be better than messi for that reason.

BarcaOG

Banned
Maldini and seedorf both great players.
Both have more cls than messi. What does that tell us?
Absolutely nothing except if they are supposed to be better than messi for that reason.

Read the rest of the post. You are missing the other three things I said.

BarcaOG

Banned
Ok, I read it.
What is the point of bringing it up as a point of criticism if you can't make any conclusion out of it then.

? the conclusion is pretty clear: the elimination is (obviously) not entirely Messi's fault. What other conclusion do you want me to make? :lol:

Home of Barca Fans