European Super League

FinBarcelonafan

Its not forever, but its a damn long time. As said, the concept is very good but it needs a few tweaks. If there are 12 founder clubs, they could have atleast 8 qualifying teams to make it 20 teams in total, or another 12 to make it 24 so the Sevillas, Leicesters, Napolis etc get a fair chance to compete in the ESL aswell. They probably wont win it ever but they have shown they can beat the best clubs. Just have the best performing teams in CL (that are not the founding clubs ofc) qualify and thats it.

That's the plan for sure. Around 20 teams. 12 is just a start.

JamDav1982

UEFA's proposal is just increasing the number of teams in the CL and making it a league-type system instead of group stage, no? I don't see how that alienates fans. Super league alienates fans by making it an elitist group of ''popular'' teams that earn more revenue from each other and leaving others in the dust. Matches will be held god knows where, clubs will buy superstars only making it harder for youngsters from academies to break through, ticket prices will likely skyrocket for the big games, leaving local working class fans only able to watch lowly regarded league games. It just kills the passion for the game and only benefits the already rich.

UEFA proposal protects core of bigger clubs by more or less gteeing their place in it.

About only difference is more of the poorer sides in it and not so closed off.

Porque

And why would Leicester or West Ham care about getting top 4 like this season when other teams will already be guaranteed their place. Similarly why would Chelsea etc care about finishing anywhere between 2nd-16th when they are guaranteed their place too.

If they don't win their league, the only other incentive is to not get relegated.

Would it diminish the perception of the SuperLeague if the teams participating can not win or compete in their domestic leagues?

I assume they will still want the added local prize money and to win the national trophy. If anything it will be more fiercely contested with the non ESL clubs wanted to prove themselves.

For teams like Leicester, I'll assume they get a Super League invitation if they are the highest placed non-ESL team. While they will still have access to the CL which you would assume would still decent financial reward and a prestige much higher than the Europa League. In that way Europe's second tier competition has exponentially increased in quality, and is ironically also going to be a league.

soul24rage

Does it say for top five leagues only?

No, but roughly 90% of the focus will be on the top 5 leagues.

The only 5 leagues is short sighted of mine, but I just don't like the idea of 100% guaranteeing a place for the founders club. There needs to be some sporting merit to it.

cro-man

Florentino Perez (Super League president): "There could be a second division of Super League, for example."

This was expected. Collect all big names and after that the rest.

FinBarcelonafan

Would it diminish the perception of the SuperLeague if the teams participating can not win or compete in their domestic leagues?

I assume they will still want the added local prize money and to win the national trophy. If anything it will be more fiercely contested with the non ESL clubs wanted to prove themselves.

For teams like Leicester, I'll assume they get a Super League invitation if they are the highest placed non-ESL team. While they will still have access to the CL which you would assume would still decent financial reward and a prestige much higher than the Europa League. In that way Europe's second tier competition has exponentially increased in quality, and is ironically also going to be a league.

Basically current Europe League would turn into CL. Europe League would be poorer quality.

fergus90

Leicester should be there anyway. Won the league more recently than Arsenal, United and Tottenham. Gonna finish higher than two of them this year as well :lol:

Yannik

Rumor's is there is a hefty penalty if the club move out. Something like 300M or so.

That's the ultimate arthouse movie plot here:

- 12 clubs develope the Super League over 2 decades of planning. Perez dream.
- A strange man with a hat and a trench coat enters the interview studio starring menacly at Perez
- Finally all contracts are signed, ties with UEFA are broken.
- The man in the trenchcoat suddenly walks up to Perez
- All founder clubs receive 434M from JP Morgan for participating
- He pulls off his facemask and removes his hat
- 11 clubs leave the Super League on Day 1. Repaying 300m.
- IT'S JOAN LAPORTA!
- kicks Perez in the nuts
- "Cant del Barca" plays from the speakers
- collects 134m profit
- Unveils Erling Haaland

FinBarcelonafan

Leicester should be there anyway. Won the league more recently than Arsenal, United and Tottenham. Gonna finish higher than two of them this year as well :lol:

Leicester doesn't have the influence of those clubs. Nowhere near. Financially or fan wise. They are not powerful enough.

It's mostly based on visibility and money attraction.

Porque

Florentino Perez (Super League president): "20 years ago I used to play Pro Evolution with my son on his PS2. I told him this is what European football needs. One day I will implement this and save football."

fergus90

Leicester doesn't have the influence of those clubs. Nowhere near. Financially or fan wise. They are not powerful enough.

It's mostly based on visibility and money attraction.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. Tottenham must be their because they've got more followers on social media and a stadium with two pitches.

Home of Barca Fans