Champions League Semi Final: Liverpool - FC Barcelona 4-3 agg.

Centauri B

Tried structuring a response to this thread based on the 2nd leg performance but failed to do so.

Best thing i think we could do? Approach Klopp after the Champions League Final! Premier league title is looking unlikely , he wins the Champions league, what a high to end his Liverpool tenure on. We need a manager like Klopp, a coach the team will trust whilst playing good high pressure football.

Is this in any way realistic? I don't think so.

So many of the most viewed videos on YouTube in the last couple of days are about us being humiliated. One video even has 12 million (!) views. Literally the whole world is laughing at this team. Our team. The board has to sack Valverde quickly as fuck.

For us football fans (people who watch lots of football related videos on youtube) the algorithms are specifically designed to come up with relevant content. Of course we are getting tons of videos with our latest debacle. Maybe not the whole world, but the entire football world is laughing at us and relishing it.

Most of the Premier League fans are like that, they over hype every player from there and always think their opinion is the right one.

Most Liverpool fans now think that Origi is some kind of GOAT. I am not even kidding.

Last edited:

AzaR

Is this in any way realistic? I don't think so

It's not completely out of the question. Especially if they win the champions league and miss out on the premier leagie depsite achieving 97 points. The allure of managing our club and Leo in his final years could be enpugh to sway any manager.

I genuiniely think right know an approach for Klopp could be the smartest move we can make.It pains me to say when he won la liga and are likely to win Copa Del Rey but Valverde has to move on.

As a successor, who else is worthy?

Centauri B

We smashed spurs 4-1 ffs. Easiest route to the final we will ever get. Great now we will have to contend with Liverpool, City, Juventus, and a rejuvenated Bayern and Real Madrid

It was 2-4, but the scoreline severely flattered Spurs. Messi hit the post twice, and we also had several other chances beyond our 4 goals.

Tuesday night was a disaster on so many levels. a) One more of Messi's years wasted. b) The chance to win a 6th European Cup vs Spurs in the final. c) Next year will probably be a lot harder. Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus are looking to strengthen. No guarantee they will succeed very much, but still. d) Liverpool & City will also be there. e) Epic first leg result, destroyed by sheer incompetence in the second leg. f) We have become the laughing stock of world football. g) Our players have assumed a loser mentality.

Centauri B

It's not completely out of the question. Especially if they win the champions league and miss out on the premier leagie depsite achieving 97 points. The allure of managing our club and Leo in his final years could be enpugh to sway any manager.

I genuiniely think right know an approach for Klopp could be the smartest move we can make.It pains me to say when he won la liga and are likely to win Copa Del Rey but Valverde has to move on.

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2019...ct-as-red-set-to-tie-jurgen-down-for-5-years/

Centauri B

it has more to do with the way we conceded. they didn't have some fancy attacking play, or some wonder goal to show for it. we gifted them 2-3 goals by making stupid errors. lord origi and wijnaldum(a players who relegated with newcastle) managed to score against us, enough said.

+ as you rightfully pointed out, our attack was blunt. if we would have scored then it would have been game over.

ps: don't know why people are banging on an on about this myth that anfield is a hard/intimidating venue to play at. it's just like any other stadium but with more vocal fans that support their team for 90 minutes. marseille, belgrade, or some turkish stadium are way more intimidating.

Liverpool were only a bit better than adequate. It was our spineless performance that created the result. They did not manage even one great attacking combo, or even real clear-cut chances. Everything went their way, on top of our lethargy.

All the talk about Anfield is so much noise. It has more to do with us being crap away from home for at least a decade now. Even at our best, we were pretty poor away from the Camp Nou, which still remains a mystery to me. Yet we almost always smash Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

Kewell

Klopp wouldn't go to Barcelona. He chooses his clubs very specifically. He chooses clubs where he feels he can use his own "unique" talents to improve his club. He is exceptional at motivating hard working average players to a level that would be considered beyond them. For example, Origi, Wijnaldum, Milner, Henderson etc. Barcelona's philosophy is different. They buy players that are already at a very high level. He also goes to clubs where he knows he is given the time to develop players. Klopp's first 2 years were very average and actually didn't show much change from the previous manager. The results were almost identical. It's only in the end of 2017 where things started to pick up. He won't be given that time at Barcelona. Basically he attempts to resurrect "sleeping giants". All of this is in his book.

There's a reason he rejected Man Utd, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

West Saxon

Most Liverpool fans now think that Origi is some kind of GOAT. I am not even kidding.
No they don't :lol: it's called humour, they're just happy for a player who looked to be on the way out but came back and scored some vital goals for them.

As for Barca, it was obvious what would happen pretty much from kick off. Far too physically slow and weak, and without the great workrate off the ball that made Pep's sides great. It's not enough to be technically good, you need the physicality and the mentality to work hard for the whole game. You can't just turn up away from home and expect to stroll through for 90 minutes and go through.

LuisGarcía

Said a guy reading one post online that was a joke. Origi is fighting for his new contract, and might get it now after stepping up his game this year.

Liverpools midfielders are highly underrated. Especially Wijnaldum and Henderson. Keita is overrated though.

Liverpools fullbacks are overrated due to the fact that they really are wingers in a system where our midfield is really crushing defensivly and covering the space the fullbacks leave behind. Trent and Robbo is 2 of the 5 most offensive players in Liverpools style of playing. Trent will become a good midfielder in a couple of years though. Massive talent and reminds me of Gerrard in early years.

Liverpools attackers are somewhat overrated. Firmino is probably our most important player though. Him and Van Dijk.

Van Dijk is probably the best defender in Europe atm. He played kinda poor for his standards against Barca tho.
Gomez is a huge talent and will be our second defender when fit again. Matip and Lovren are decent backups.

And yeah. Messi is still GOAT.

Centauri B

No they don't :lol: it's called humour, they're just happy for a player who looked to be on the way out but came back and scored some vital goals for them.

As for Barca, it was obvious what would happen pretty much from kick off. Far too physically slow and weak, and without the great workrate off the ball that made Pep's sides great. It's not enough to be technically good, you need the physicality and the mentality to work hard for the whole game. You can't just turn up away from home and expect to stroll through for 90 minutes and go through.

Who is even technically good? Messi & Busquets. Also Arthur who did not play until we were dead and buried. The rest of our team is nothing special in terms of technical ability. But I disagree that it was inevitable from the first minute. Liverpool only scored through Alba's howler and did not have any good combinations for the entire first half. It was in fact Barca, despite being weak and slow, who had the better chances until the sucker punches from Winaldum came about (again defensive errors from us)

Barca were also weak and slow in the first leg, but still won 3-0, and could have been more, if Suarez & Dembele could shoot straight.

Howlgrana

Klopp at Barca? No fucking way. I don't like his style of 100mph, low technique football, I don't care if he wins everything or how successful he is with it, it's not how Barca should play.

cris29

I am still in shock that we lost 4-0 to a side that had Henderson, Milner, Shaqiri, and Origi. Seriously, i wouldn't expect Getafe to lose 4-0 vs that.

malvolio

I am still in shock that we lost 4-0 to a side that had Henderson, Milner, Shaqiri, and Origi. Seriously, i wouldn't expect Getafe to lose 4-0 vs that.

We seem to focus only when the odds are against us or we are not in a favourable position. If we are too comfortable we get complacent and tend to lose to some clowns like Roma or a Liverpool side with Origi and Shaqiri.

West Saxon

Who is even technically good? Messi & Busquets. Also Arthur who did not play until we were dead and buried. The rest of our team is nothing special in terms of technical ability. But I disagree that it was inevitable from the first minute. Liverpool only scored through Alba's howler and did not have any good combinations for the entire first half. It was in fact Barca, despite being weak and slow, who had the better chances until the sucker punches from Winaldum came about (again defensive errors from us)

Barca were also weak and slow in the first leg, but still won 3-0, and could have been more, if Suarez & Dembele could shoot straight.
I'm not a Barca fan (I always loved their teams though) and rarely watch them in La Liga so I'm not an expert on your players, but I'm not accepting that you have only 3 technically good players. Off the top of my head, Pique, Rakitic, Alba, Coutinho and Suarez are all technical players. They are certainly technically better than Henderson, Milner, Origi, Wijnaldum and Shaqiri. The difference is that Liverpool's players are well drilled in the way they play and would run through brick walls for Klopp. That willingness to work hard off the ball is something Pep's great sides had and it's so important at the top level. It's something Barcelona need to find again to be successful in Europe again. I would say a new manager is needed, but also new players - young, talented ones who want to work hard and win things.

Howlgrana

I'm not a Barca fan (I always loved their teams though) and rarely watch them in La Liga so I'm not an expert on your players, but I'm not accepting that you have only 3 technically good players. Off the top of my head, Pique, Rakitic, Alba, Coutinho and Suarez are all technical players. They are certainly technically better than Henderson, Milner, Origi, Wijnaldum and Shaqiri. The difference is that Liverpool's players are well drilled in the way they play and would run through brick walls for Klopp. That willingness to work hard off the ball is something Pep's great sides had and it's so important at the top level. It's something Barcelona need to find again to be successful in Europe again. I would say a new manager is needed, but also new players - young, talented ones who want to work hard and win things.

Yes you are right, I said similar things earlier - this is the era of the great motivators; Klopp, Pep and Poch. Each of these, even if they don't have the best players in the world, get 100% out of their team, their players believe in them 100%, and they have their own vision and conviction of how their teams should play.

The small man here at Barca, EV, doesn't have such an ability. But the problem Barca have found since Pep left is a manager big enough in stature that can get the max out of the players as they have won absolutely everything in the game at this point. Klopp, Pep and Poch have far more impressionable players that they can command with absolute authority, it wouldn't be so plain sailing at Barca.

Home of Barca Fans