Should Barcelona sign Gianluigi Donnarumma?

Sign Donnarumma or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'm surprised so many want him. The kid can't play with the ball at his feet.

Our current GK cannot make any saves and has regressed as far as his distribution is concerned. Not to forget he just had his third knee surgery.

That's not to say Donnarumma's inability isn't something that could cause problems, but I'm happy we're at least exploring the GK market. It's rare a prospect like him becomes available on the free market.

Andresito

Staff member
It's a great opportunity with him being free. But that also comes with a cost, his wages. What happens when in 2-3 years we deem him not good enough and want to sell him?
His wages will be sky high because we're signing him as a #1 GK and if decide to sell him in the future, then it's because he's not good enough for a big (rich) club, which'll make it hard to offload him and we're back to where we are today.

DonAK

It's a great opportunity with him being free. But that also comes with a cost, his wages. What happens when in 2-3 years we deem him not good enough and want to sell him?
His wages will be sky high because we're signing him as a #1 GK and if decide to sell him in the future, then it's because he's not good enough for a big (rich) club, which'll make it hard to offload him and we're back to where we are today.

The decision between Donnarumma and ter Stegen will have to be made next summer. Either MAtS steps up big time or is told to look for a new club. We cannot have a GK that's one of the highest paid GKs in the World play like he does.

Open competition with no one being the #1 this season if this guy is signed.

Andresito

Staff member
The decision between Donnarumma and ter Stegen will have to be made next summer. Either MAtS steps up big time or is told to look for a new club. We cannot have a GK that's one of the highest paid GKs in the World play like he does.

Open competition with no one being the #1 this season if this guy is signed.

ter Stegen feels very much like Umtiti. He'll be personally hurt when he's told to leave. He probably thinks he's able to develop, despite being almost 30 and having had a decline in recent years. I just hope we're more ruthless when it comes to the comfortable players. Laporta has been talking about it, that the mentality is too relaxed in the club. Let's hope he acts on it too.

malvolio

there is no opportunity here as the guy was never interested in signing for us. we are just part of the raiola media circus.

furthermore, what's so special about him? good solid keepers can be found if you scout a bit. maybe even find keepers that are good with their feet.

neuer for example had that aura and mental edge since his schalke days. i don't see that in donnarumma to warrant the circus.

khaled_a_d

I am trying to find an English source, but recently I found an Arabic article citing Marca about highest paid GK.
MATS is absolute 1st at 18M net, De Geaq 15M, Oblak 10M and Neuer/Cortouis are 7.5.
The rumours of Raiola demands (not offers he got) is 10M, 8M cut from MatS.
Stegen isn't going to leave on his own, he need to be pushed away and the best way for that is to make him sits on the bench for a young and better GK.
If we believe Donnarumma, the finances of the deal is in our favour, not the other way around.

khaled_a_d

there is no opportunity here as the guy was never interested in signing for us. we are just part of the raiola media circus.

Raiola doesn't own the media, the reports have been made by many reliable journalists like Di Marzio. We are interested, very little doubt about it.

neuer for example had that aura and mental edge since his schalke days

Schalke was my favourite German team back in the day, when I would watch a lot of games, I watched half of their games in the early years of Neuer.
I can't count how many times he looked shacked when he was promoted and for the 1st few years.
One of the many reasons he was way behind the rest of German GK when he was at Donnarumma's age. Lehman, Heidelbrand, Enke and Adler were all ahead of him when he was 22.
Lehman retired, Hildebrand went to Valancia and had bigger collapse in Spain that Coutinho and Hleb combined (he was a beast in Stuttgart) and Enke took his life (RIP) and even after all of that, he was still 2nd choice GK in NT, only Adler injury made him 1st choice at age of 24, and then his confidence level raise up way beyond expectations

malvolio

I am trying to find an English source, but recently I found an Arabic article citing Marca about highest paid GK.
MATS is absolute 1st at 18M net, De Geaq 15M, Oblak 10M and Neuer/Cortouis are 7.5.
Stegen isn't going to leave on his own, he need to be pushed away and the best way for that is to make him sits on the bench for a young and better GK.
If we believe Donnarumma, the finances of the deal is in our favour, not the other way around.

where did you get that? ter stegen not even top 5 as far as i know.

de gea is by far the highest payed.

Raiola doesn't own the media, the reports have been made by many reliable journalists like Di Marzio. We are interested, very little doubt about it.

di marzio just recycled a rumor. doesn't means he knows anything.

Schalke was my favourite German team back in the day, when I would watch a lot of games, I watched half of their games in the early years of Neuer.
I can't count how many times he looked shacked when he was promoted and for the 1st few years.
One of the many reasons he was way behind the rest of German GK when he was at Donnarumma's age. Lehman, Heidelbrand, Enke and Adler were all ahead of him when he was 22.
Lehman retired, Hildebrand went to Valancia and had bigger collapse in Spain that Coutinho and Hleb combined (he was a beast in Stuttgart) and Enke took his life (RIP) and even after all of that, he was still 2nd choice GK in NT, only Adler injury made him 1st choice at age of 24, and then his confidence level raise up way beyond expectations

italy going through a drought of good goalkeepers doesn't means that donnarumma would have started if there were better/more experienced keepers around. that's why your argument about neuer not starting for DFB at 22 isn't valid.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member

That doesn't seem reasonable. Of what I can find, ter Stegen is on 8M, De Gea on 20M, Neuer on 18M, Courtois & Oblak on 14.

khaled_a_d

where did you get that? ter stegen not even top 5 as far as i know.

de gea is by far the highest payed.

Stegen demanded to be the best paid GK last summer, that is we know for fact, and that he also renewed.
As I said I am not 100% sure about the numbers, will look deeply in it, but I highly doubt he isn't top 5 after renewal, no way in hell.

italy going through a drought of good goalkeepers doesn't means that donnarumma would have started if there were better/more experienced keepers. that's why you argument about neuer starting for DFB at 22 isn't valid.

Well, Adler, Enke and Heidelbrand hardly were historic GK either.
And I didn't make a point to be invalid, I know current Italy GK situation, I am talking about that alleged "aura" that Neuer had. That is just a hindsight, he was as unsure thing as it gets until 2010 World Cup.

malvolio

Well, Adler, Enke and Heidelbrand hardly were historic GK either.
And I didn't make a point to be invalid, I know current Italy GK situation, I am talking about that alleged "aura" that Neuer had. That is just a hindsight, he was as unsure thing as it gets until 2010 World Cup.

i admit i haven't watched schalke games apart from some of their CL games where i remember neuer shinned. saving penalties and other heroics.

never seen donnarumma be that confident and look like neuer, at the same age

DonAK

ter Stegen is one of our highest paid players. He took a deal where his salary grows A LOT the next few years.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...-ter-stegen-to-extend-deal-until-2025-sources

Don't have the exact figures, but he wanted 18m net and knowing Josep Maria Bartomeu the master negotiator of them all, I doubt he makes less than 12-15m. More likely closer to 15m or higher at average during the duration of the contract given ter Stegen had a lot of leverage in the negotiations.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

ter Stegen is one of our highest paid players. He took a deal where his salary grows A LOT the next few years.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...-ter-stegen-to-extend-deal-until-2025-sources

Don't have the exact figures, but he wanted 18m net and knowing Josep Maria Bartomeu the master negotiator of them all, I doubt he makes less than 12-15m. More likely closer to 15m or higher at average during the duration of the contract given ter Stegen had a lot of leverage in the negotiations.

We need to stop Mats, he thinks he is unreplaceable :mats:

DonAK

Also given Bartomeu reneg-ed with ter Stegen, Lenglet and Frenkie where they took paycuts now only for their salaries to increase lot the next few years it might be a financial decision to move on from MAtS too before his salary increase truly kicks in.

We're in a position where we'll have to make cuts and save money where we can to use that in other areas of the squad.

Home of Barca Fans