Quique Setien

xXKonan

If there's one thing I actually expect.

Is the Ground we cover in terms of km will go back up. Instead of us being embarrassingly outrun by a shitload by every team we face. Obviously we shouldn't expect Messi to be pulling trees but the others will probably be doing all the movement to help limit some of Leo's flaws with Workrate.

LeeRomeno

actually what big team has offered bielsa a job?? i really liked his style(mainly watched the bilbao days of him) but the man seems to go overboard.

hope it is not the case with setien's barca, but it seems for the big teams, with established superstars, the gung-ho style doesn't really work.

Bielsas teams are notorious for being awesome for first half of season to be completely dead in second half. Even in championship same thing is happening now second week in a row. Being physically fit is one thing, overdoing it though may have pretty catastrophic results. Not saying same thing will happen to us, as the regime only started mid-season. Interesting to see how we play in games.

Vilarrubi

At last we should see some passion on the touchline like German Burgos for Atleti. Got too used to the “Valverde squat” or him just sat with the same expression despite winning or losing.

[tw]1217509926840324096[/tw]

Actions speak louder than words. Let's not get overexcited as I'm sure EV said the same sort of things when he signed.

However, the more I learn about him the more I like him and especially Eder Sarabia.

The point still stands though. We need to start hiring world class managers. I've heard that the board wanted Thierry Henbry to take over in November. Paco Jemez has been linked in the past to take over from Enrique. It's pathetic.

Had Setien done a good job at a Valencia/Sevilla level club before coming here you couldn't have any complaints, but he hasn't.

We seem to keep giving managers their job of a lifetime as if we are some sort of charity.

BBZ8800

Not getting feisty. More annoyed you were wasting time when we both know you realized better.

Anyway, I think he'll finish at 85 points or above.

Fair.
So, can we say this way:
Since a crappy EV managed to have 93, 90 and 40 points, that means that over a half season he had on average:
46,5 points
46,5 points
45 points
45 points
40 points

So, you asked for EV's average over 19 rounds.
EV's average over 5 seasons was 44,6 points over 19 rounds.
Also, if someone will reply: but the first half season is the toughest.
EV had 16 wins and 3 draws in his first half season, which means 51 points.

Now, if we want managers to be judged in a same way:
1. If Setien will win less points than EV, who was the worst coach in the world, then Setien will be the new worst coach in the world
2. If Setien will win similar amount of points as EV (44,6 per half season), they will be tied as the two worst managers in a history
3. If Setien will win more points than EV, Setien is clearly very good

Since I can travel through time and see a future, be sure that Setien will win less than 44,6 points in this half season.
So, you guys should prepare your mental gymnastics and excuses according to those numbers.

I mean, let's be fair:
EV had 90 points seasons on average
He won 2 La Ligas
He had Messi

There is absolutely no reason to expect less from Setien or to give him a free pass for less.
Afterall, the bar was set quite low.
All Setien has to do: to be slightly better than a worst coach in a history.

I mean, everyone could do that.

So, if we want to compare Setien:
1. With the worst version of EV (this season), Setien needs 40+ points
2. If we will compare him with EV in total, he will need 44,6 points per halfseason

So, let's say that we can't influence RM's points.
So, let's just concentrate on our number of points.

Gaudi

BBZ, statistics can't be everything.

EV could win vs Levante 1:0 and get 3 points but you see cracks in our game, lines all over the places, statical football and YOU KNOW we can not challenge for CL for example. You just know that one embarrassment is just around the corner.

To win CL you need luck, always! But I want to see a team that can do it.
Of course points matter, at the end of the season that's only thing that matters, but if you play challenging football Barca will always have big amount of points in La Liga.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I think, as fans, we are fortunate that the circumstances unfolded as they did to permit someone like Setien to emerge from the bottom of a list of coaching alternatives due to how Bartomeu bungled things. Certain that were there appropriate timing, we'd be looking at Roberto Martinez or Koeman so I am unconvinced by 'world class' managers. Barcelona hasn't hired a profile of a coach like this in all the time I have been a cule yet we experienced the most successful era of the club in terms of titles

Rijkaard had just come with his only experience seeing his club relegated, Pep was coaching a 4th division side and Lucho had mediocre results before Barca - Setien ticks all the boxes you could ideally hope for. As he says, he guarantees one thing - they will play well and in a style we all covet, the rest will come and as Cruyff & Pep concur this is the best manner in which to win titles

MTL_Barca

Fair.
So, can we say this way:
Since a crappy EV managed to have 93, 90 and 40 points, that means that over a half season he had on average:
46,5 points
46,5 points
45 points
45 points
40 points

So, you asked for EV's average over 19 rounds.
EV's average over 5 seasons was 44,6 points over 19 rounds.
Also, if someone will reply: but the first half season is the toughest.
EV had 16 wins and 3 draws in his first half season, which means 51 points.

Now, if we want managers to be judged in a same way:
1. If Setien will win less points than EV, who was the worst coach in the world, then Setien will be the new worst coach in the world
2. If Setien will win similar amount of points as EV (44,6 per half season), they will be tied as the two worst managers in a history
3. If Setien will win more points than EV, Setien is clearly very good

Since I can travel through time and see a future, be sure that Setien will win less than 44,6 points in this half season.
So, you guys should prepare your mental gymnastics and excuses according to those numbers.

I mean, let's be fair:
EV had 90 points seasons on average
He won 2 La Ligas
He had Messi

There is absolutely no reason to expect less from Setien or to give him a free pass for less.
Afterall, the bar was set quite low.
All Setien has to do: to be slightly better than a worst coach in a history.

I mean, everyone could do that.

So, if we want to compare Setien:
1. With the worst version of EV (this season), Setien needs 40+ points
2. If we will compare him with EV in total, he will need 44,6 points per halfseason

So, let's say that we can't influence RM's points.
So, let's just concentrate on our number of points.

You can't judge a coach entirely on points or results, or at least most people don't do that. That's exactly why so many fans hated Valverde despite him having good point per game stats. So that formula should probably just be used for you then. If Setien gets a similar number of points, will you go to war for him like you did/do for Valverde? :D This whole thread here is so strange, why can't we all just give the new guy a chance and wait how things go instead of still clinging to the Valverde bullshit? Valverde didn't get hate from day 1 from most fans.

Also regarding whats "fair" and what isn't, Setien doesn't have a pre-season. His pre-season is what we see right now with daily sessions for about one week, what according to some users here already is a mistake lol. That alone makes his situation different to that of Valverde so if you want to have a real comparison you might even have to wait for next season.

For now i'd be more than happy with him if he can keep around the same point/games as in the 1st half of season, even slightly less would be acceptable under these circumstances IF there are signs of improvements in other areas such as movement, pressing, passing, integrating youth players etc that would point to a better season 20/21. But we have to see the games first, it's pointless to already prepare our judgments based on made up parameters. Maybe Setien will turn out bad, maybe he'll turn out amazing, but i'm 100% sure just looking at the points isn't enough to fully judge that.

Last edited:
I think, as fans, we are fortunate that the circumstances unfolded as they did to permit someone like Setien to emerge from the bottom of a list of coaching alternatives due to how Bartomeu bungled things. Certain that were there appropriate timing, we'd be looking at Roberto Martinez or Koeman so I am unconvinced by 'world class' managers. Barcelona hasn't hired a profile of a coach like this in all the time I have been a cule yet we experienced the most successful era of the club in terms of titles

Rijkaard had just come with his only experience seeing his club relegated, Pep was coaching a 4th division side and Lucho had mediocre results before Barca - Setien ticks all the boxes you could ideally hope for. As he says, he guarantees one thing - they will play well and in a style we all covet, the rest will come and as Cruyff & Pep concur this is the best manner in which to win titles

True we have experienced the best period of the club but it's become glaringly obvious that that has been down to Messi. The fact remains that the only great manager we have had during the Messi era is Pep and even he can't get to a CL final without Messi. All of the other managers have failed in jobs elsewhere.

We are now approaching the end of the era of Messi carrying this club and it's mediocre managers I'm afraid.

BBZ, statistics can't be everything.

EV could win vs Levante 1:0 and get 3 points but you see cracks in our game, lines all over the places, statical football and YOU KNOW we can not challenge for CL for example. You just know that one embarrassment is just around the corner.

To win CL you need luck, always! But I want to see a team that can do it.
Of course points matter, at the end of the season that's only thing that matters, but if you play challenging football Barca will always have big amount of points in La Liga.

Even if we had Klopp as manager this team would have very little chance of a CL. The regression since Anfield has been extraordinary. Ask yourself if there was a world xi with 7 subs who would get in from our team bar Messi? No one would even come close.

I shudder to think what AdM Mbappe Ney and Icardi would do to our defence.

Neeraj

Problem is, these EV apologists aren't going to go away once we get going under Setien. ANYTIME we lose ANY points, they are going to come crawling out of their caves, trying to a pull a "I told you so" move on us, and that thought is just tiring. Most of us are going to judge Setien objectively - that means giving him some time, and calling things as they are. But when you choose to have Valverde's dick in your pie hole at ALL times, it's really jarring. Seriously guys, I plead you - get as much of Valverde worship you want out of your system now, and please spare us the shithousery later.

Home of Barca Fans