3 - Gerard Pique

Birdy

Another example for Dummies (@clowngician)

Frenkie agreed to defer and extend in 2020.
It's that ridiculous contract until 2026 that was leaked some time ago:
"In the first two seasons, 2020/21 and 2021/22, the player reduced his salary from 14m euros NET to 3m euros and 9m euros respectively.
That meant giving up 16m euros, which he would be paid over the remaining four seasons until the end of his contract in 2026. That is why he now earns a fixed 18m euros, made up of the 14m euros he was earning plus the 4m euros deferred.
For the final season, there will be additional 1m euros, bringing the total amount he earns to 19m euros."

Whatever you see above is everything the clubs owes to Frenkie from the moment (2020) the contract extension was signed and onwards.
Frenkie can't say 'oh the club should have paid me more in 20/21' as clowngician believes, because that's his old contract not valid anymore.

According to English leaks, that's why he didn't go to EPL in the summer (I don't believe that's the only reason):
Because he wanted the 16 m (the difference in NET between what he got in 20/21 and 21/22, and what his old contract stipulated)
Of course the club did not agree as the new contract overrides the old one, and there was NO OUTSTANDING payment to him for 20/21 and 21/22
That's what will happen again in the winter or next summer, when he will pack his bags and GTFO of Barcelona.
The club will owe him jackshit

Last edited:

feggydinho

Another example for Dummies (@clowngician)

Frenkie agreed to defer and extend in 2020.
It's that ridiculous contract until 2026 that was leaked some time ago:
"In the first two seasons, 2020/21 and 2021/22, the player reduced his salary from 14m euros NET to 3m euros and 9m euros respectively.
That meant giving up 16m euros, which he would be paid over the remaining four seasons until the end of his contract in 2026. That is why he now earns a fixed 18m euros, made up of the 14m euros he was earning plus the 4m euros deferred.
For the final season, there will be additional 1m euros, bringing the total amount he earns to 19m euros."

Whatever you see above is everything the clubs owes to Frenkie from the moment (2020) the contract extension was signed and onwards.
Frenkie can't say 'oh the club should have paid me more in 20/21' as clowngician believes, because that's his old contract not valid anymore.

According to English leaks, that's why he didn't go to EPL in the summer (I don't believe that's the only reason):
Because he wanted the 16 m (the difference in NET between what he got in 20/21 and 21/22, and what his old contract stipulated)
Of course the club did not agree as the new contract overrides the old one, and there was NO OUTSTANDING payment to him for 20/21 and 21/22
That's what will happen again in the winter or next summer, when he will pack his bags and GTFO of Barcelona.
The club will owe him jackshit

If this is valid, then it gives the club a bad reputation business-wise as most players won't be willing to defer their wages for anything, and it would make sense that they don't to avoid funny stories.

khaled_a_d

If this is valid, then it gives the club a bad reputation business-wise as most players won't be willing to defer their wages for anything, and it would make sense that they don't to avoid funny stories.

The club has done enough work to destroy it's reputation forever tbh, and yet agents didn't have problems working with us.
Honestly, this summer proved to me they are more or lessof a mercenaries, reputation really doesn't matter that much.

Also, Pique situation isn't really about new and old contracts.
The 35% termination is part of new contract with the agreed deffered salary from old board.
The question is about his accepted paycut, which the leaks admits no idea about ut.
Whether or not it is a paycut, whether or not it is deffered salary, and whether or not it is affected if contracts is over, is something we have no clue about

Last edited:

Birdy

Not really.
More bad reputation goes with giving these contracts way above the market to bums, than with trying to rescind them.

Other than that, the club is doing nothing illegal.
If a player gets transferred out, it's over club is not liable to his wages anymore
If there is a termination clause in a player's contract, club is in its rights to terminate if conditions are met

feggydinho

Not really.
More bad reputation goes with giving these contracts way above the market to bums, than with trying to rescind them.

Other than that, the club is doing nothing illegal.
If a player gets transferred out, it's over club is not liable to his wages anymore
If there is a termination clause in a player's contract, club is in its rights to terminate if conditions are met

If a player agrees to defer his wages in good faith, it's only proper to pay them their deferred wage for the supposed time they stayed (let's say they deferred it and left after two years, you pay them the deferred amount for the two years and the absurd contractual amount doesn't really matter if both parties agreed and signed on it).

I don't really know the exact details of what's going on with the team and players, but if it's what I stated above, it's only proper that they pay up and negotiate better contracts next time. However, I think the club is already paying the players their deferred wages

Last edited:

Birdy

If a player agrees to defer his wages in goodwill, it's only proper to pay them their deferred wage for the supposed time they stayed (let's say they deferred it and left after two years, you pay them the deferred amount for the two years and the absurd contractual amount doesn't really matter if both parties agreed and signed on it).

I don't really know the exact details of what's going on with the team and players, but if it's what I stated above, it's only proper that they pay up and negotiate better contracts next time. However, I think the club is already paying the players their deferred wages

Any arrangement to defer wages for later:
1) is not done orally, but in written. Usually new contracts are signed (extensions) or conditions/clauses are added to the existing ones, as happened with FDJ, Pique, Alba, Busi, Lenglet, Stegen and everyone who deferred wages the last 3 seasons

2) when wages are deferred, it's not what many mistakenly think that the club withholds certain payments, and promises to pay them later.
It's rather this: they agree to get less money now and more money (usually the accumulation is gradual) later on in their contract.
On the new contract or clause signed it is stipulated WHEN and HOW MUCH a player will get payed by the club.

Club can't forfeit these payments.
i) But if a player gets transferred out before existing contract ends, clubs owes him nothing.
That the case with all transfers. The moment X players signs a new contract with Y club, the existing one with Barca gets annulled automatically.

ii) If there a clause stipulating conditions for terminations, when these conditions are met, club can terminate AND owe 0
Players signed contracts and clauses were put there in their knowledge

feggydinho

1) is not done orally, but in written. Usually new contracts are signed (extensions) or conditions/clauses are added to the existing ones, as happened with FDJ, Pique, Alba, Busi, Lenglet, Stegen and everyone who deferred wages the last 3 seasons

2) when wages are deferred, it's not what many mistakenly think that the club withholds certain payments, and promises to pay them later.
It's rather this: they agree to get less money now and more money (usually the accumulation is gradual) later on in their contract.
On the new contract or clause signed it is stipulated WHEN and HOW MUCH a player will get payed by the club.

i) But if a player gets transferred out before existing contract ends, clubs owes him nothing.
That the case with all transfers. The moment X players signs a new contract with Y club, the existing one with Barca gets annulled automatically.

ii) If there a clause stipulating conditions for terminations, when these conditions are met, club can terminate AND owe 0

Probably explains why the players don't want to leave, and rather go on loans.

All is fine though since it's stated in the contracts

Andresito

Staff member
There is unanimity within the board: they want Piqu? and Alba not to be at Bar?a from next season onwards. They consider that their cycle is over. [@DBR8]

feggydinho

With this analogy, there's news that Barca has to pay Pique, Jordi Alba and Busquet around 200m in the next year and half with regards to deferral.

So with the way Barca are trying to kick Pique and Alba out, does it mean Barca can opt not to pay them if they find a way to move them before their contract ends?

That's weird if possible, and the players would be in their rights to kick against moving to get their deferred wages.

Home of Barca Fans