Xavi Hernández

Porque

From the article:

Perhaps the most underrated figure in last season?s title race, however, was the man at the other end: Courtois. Although he received untold plaudits for his performance in the Champions League final, the head-to-head of performances between Courtois and Marc-Andr? ter Stegen ? the goalkeepers for the top two sides last term ? were at the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

According to Opta?s expected goals on target (xGOT) data, ter Stegen conceded roughly four more goals than the quality of shots on target faced would suggest. For goalkeepers who played at least half of available minutes last term, this was the fourth-worst record in La Liga. Meanwhile, Thibaut Courtois conceded four fewer goals than expected by the same measure ? the second-best rate in La Liga.

Missing the key stats bro. How many cross field chilenos did Courtois manage with his eyes closed?

Temptation

Xavi benefited by playing closer to Busquets. 15% of those passes were from Busquets.

Xavi ran the game. Simply dominated. He's the most important player of that Barca and Spain teams for me. Maybe I'm wrong but the way I see the game: he was the heart of those systems.

Xavi is right up there beside Zidane(Zizou slightly edges it). Above Iniesta, Modric and co.

Porque

Xavi ran the game. Simply dominated. He's the most important player of that Barca and Spain teams for me. Maybe I'm wrong but the way I see the game: he was the heart of those systems

I agree with you. Above was just a joke. Iniesta will get the vote because he was more aesthetically pleasing to watch and had those historic goals for Barcelona and Spain. Arguably the two most iconic goals in both's recent history (and certainly forever in regards to the NT).

The most perplexing thing with Xavi as a manager though is how he does not have the midfields replicate the way he would move towards and receive the ball. Maybe it will happen now he has a better quality 11, but so far, perplexing. Both Gavi and Pedri have the ability to do this.

serghei

The most perplexing thing with Xavi as a manager though is how he does not have the midfields replicate the way he would move towards and receive the ball. Maybe it will happen now he has a better quality 11, but so far, perplexing. Both Gavi and Pedri have the ability to do this.

Xavi is way more pragmatic than I believed. He was a genius CM who played with peak Messi and Iniesta. He probably understands the difficulty of fluid football the way they played it under Pep. It's not something you can just do with Nico, Gavi and other kids just like that.

What he is trying to do is recreate a more pragmatic type of Barca football. The one from Rijkaard days, Lucho days, similar a bit to Liverpool, Bayern, and other sides who also play 4-3-3, but with more Barca-specific technique and flair. He's trying to create an adaptable team of many weapons similar to Madrid in a way, who even though will predominantly play possession football, is also good at set pieces, defending deep, countering and other aspects.

This is why I think Lewandowski will click right away. This is not much different than Bayern's 4-3-3. This is not a slow boring tiki taka wannabe team, but a side built on speed and athleticism. Or at least it's heading that way.

Last edited:

Temptation

I agree with you. Above was just a joke. Iniesta will get the vote because he was more aesthetically pleasing to watch and had those historic goals for Barcelona and Spain. Arguably the two most iconic goals in both's recent history (and certainly forever in regards to the NT).

On this topic: I don't really rate him as a manager so far. :lol:

Think he gets a lot of leeway coz of who he is with the media and fans in particular

iniestaGOAT

Xavi ran the game. Simply dominated. He's the most important player of that Barca and Spain teams for me. Maybe I'm wrong but the way I see the game: he was the heart of those systems.

Xavi is right up there beside Zidane(Zizou slightly edges it). Above Iniesta, Modric and co.

This fool just said zidane is better than xavi and iniesta smh

vegitot

Exactly what i worry. Weird to think that Xavi of all people doesn't teach his midfielders his way of play, expecially he has exceptional talent midfielder in his team.

And it's not like something you can not learn like dribbling, flair, elegance like Iniesta.

Iniesta Ultra

“What Cruyff started, continued with Rijkaard, van Gaal, Pep, Luis Enrique, et cetera…,” Xavi told the press during pre-season. “And now we are trying to – in some way – evolve it because football evolves. You have to adapt to modern football.”

It was long assumed that Xavi, upon returning to the club, would reintroduce the purest expression of Barcelona football – at least in the wake of the Guardiola era. Almost a decade separated those two things, however, which is a long time in a sport that had been so heavily influenced by Guardiola himself in the years between.

There’s also the matter of Xavi not being able to construct his team with the benefit of Xavi, Andr?s Iniesta and Lionel Messi on the pitch. Without that trio, and nearly 10 years on, the current Barcelona are more built to conquer the wings in place of dominating the centre of the chessboard.

Imagine what City would look like today if Pep had been using Xavicross during his tenure there.

serghei

Yet his main CM recevies only 9.6%. Time to change this season.

On the contrary. No one in this team will be good enough to have such a huge role on the ball in midfield. Would be a major mistake to concentrate our game in midfield looking at the weapons we have up front.

We need speed and flexibility. And this is the direction we are working on. It's incredibly evident the team is much faster now than some years ago. Look at even the passes. They are hit with force. No more flabby passes that take seconds to roll on the grass to get to slow players, while the opponent uses this time to set properly. Passes are fast and well struck as in to inject pace in our buid-up and take time away from the defending team.

Everything we do currently is basically right in the direction of people wanting a move away from slow tiki-taka that was the norm post Pep. Except for Busi still featuring.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Xavi in 2008-2009 was easily the greatest CM ever.

I think he had like 10-12 goals and 36 assists that season.

36 :lol: Including 4 assists at that famous 6-2 Bernabeu beatdown of RM

AlikSucks

Banned
Tikitaka isn't slow, when executed properly by adequate players, it's just ponderous in a way that it's focus is to lull opposition and strike, when it's disorganized. Current players are probably just not good enough for this style, while at the same time current speed demons on flanks will scream for more direct approach.

vegitot

On the contrary. No one in this team will be good enough to have such a huge role on the ball in midfield. Would be a major mistake to concentrate our game in midfield looking at the weapons we have up front.

We need speed and flexibility. And this is the direction we are working on. It's incredibly evident the team is much faster now than some years ago. Look at even the passes. They are hit with force. No more flabby passes that take seconds to roll on the grass to get to slow players, while the opponent uses this time to set properly. Passes are fast and well struck as in to inject pace in our buid-up and take time away from the defending team.

Everything we do currently is basically right in the direction of people wanting a move away from slow tiki-taka that was the norm post Pep. Except for Busi still featuring.

You never know if Xavi doesn't even try. If Bernardo comes, he will have Busi, Pedri and Bernardo. That should be enough to make midfield fluid or at least not look like disconnected.

It's just weird that Xavi, of all people, choose this route. He always said about possesion, midfield domination but actually does something differently. Perharp it can bring result faster.

I remember you used to say Xavi's fluid midfield before he became Barca coach. Doesn't age well :lol:

Home of Barca Fans