Alphonso Davies

mc_lovin

I guess most teams scouted him (there were reports about United as well), and in retrospect look "stupid". But its a game of chance after all.

Newcomer

I guess most teams scouted him (there were reports about United as well), and in retrospect look "stupid". But its a game of chance after all.

He made the right choice at the end. Joined the best team in Europe and developped nicely.

I doubt he would have been made a LB/LWB in other teams. Even if he ends up playing as a winger later, his gale has evolved in Munich. Good business, good coaching.

Yannik

I doubt he would have been made a LB/LWB in other teams. Even if he ends up playing as a winger later, his gale has evolved in Munich. Good business, good coaching.

That's a vital point. He was a winger in MLS. And he's a decent winger. But people don't just cream about only his pace and the neat little runs he makes every now and then, he ain't Bellerin. People like Davies for the fact that he's an incredible asset to any backline, recovers douzens of balls that are played behind the highline, constantly disposses pacy strikers who are through with last ditch tackles, is incredibly routined in build up play AND can make nice runs forward.

If Davies was still a winger, he'd be just another one of hundred 17-21 year old fancy-fast wingers who are flooding football right now. His unexpected LB move was what catapulted his career, and I think most teams would've never even considered trying him there.

Batistuta9

That's a vital point. He was a winger in MLS. And he's a decent winger. But people don't just cream about only his pace and the neat little runs he makes every now and then, he ain't Bellerin. People like Davies for the fact that he's an incredible asset to any backline, recovers douzens of balls that are played behind the highline, constantly disposses pacy strikers who are through with last ditch tackles, is incredibly routined in build up play AND can make nice runs forward.

If Davies was still a winger, he'd be just another one of hundred 17-21 year old fancy-fast wingers who are flooding football right now. His unexpected LB move was what catapulted his career, and I think most teams would've never even considered trying him there.

I was going to post the same thing. If you go through some of the best attacking fullbacks in football, they usually started their careers as wingers. Dani alves, Marcelo, Jordi alba, Trent was a RM and now Alphonso. I'm sure there are many more.

The best coaches can see if a player will be good in one position and the best in the world in another. Ancelotti did the same for pirlo, who was started out as a number 10 by dropping him deeper.

Messi983

If we'd signed him he'd play as a winger for Barca B and now we'd look to loan him out to Eibar or Levante.

People praising Bayern for signing him for cheap should also be aware they've bought Lucas Hernandez for 80m and if he wouldn't be injured it's very likely Davies wouldn't get as much playing time and turn into what he's today.

Sometimes players also need to be "lucky" to be at the right place (club) at the right time to get their "hidden" potential unlocked.

Newcomer

Exact.

Rassvet

We need more North Americans at Barca dawg. Davies, Tyler Adams, Pepi, Reyna, Miles Robinson, and Matt Turner should all be on our radar.

Devils

Nah Barca wouldn't sign a Canadian. Archaic Catalans wouldn't be up for it!

Jonathan David is the next Lewandowski and these Catalans wont even know of him until he scored 4 goals at Camp Nou playing for Bayern.

Jadentheman

We need more North Americans at Barca dawg. Davies, Tyler Adams, Pepi, Reyna, Miles Robinson, and Matt Turner should all be on our radar.

If Barca were smarter they be poaching potential talent at the lower leagues. But they rather wait till the prospects prove themselves in Europe on top teams and by then the price tag is massively higher

Home of Barca Fans