8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

vegitot

Probably miss game vs Valencia, Kiev or even Clasico.

Btw, 1 billion release clause. Neysnake really changes history.

Mateka

Pedri's new release clause is 'sheikh-proof'.

? [MENTION=11516]Ruben[/MENTION]uria

PSG have shaken this small club

Barcelona are in advanced talks with Spain midfielder Pedri about a new deal, with the 18-year-old ready to agree a contract that will run until 2026 and includes a release clause of more than 600m euro. (Goal)

FinBarcelonafan

Barcelona are in advanced talks with Spain midfielder Pedri about a new deal, with the 18-year-old ready to agree a contract that will run until 2026 and includes a release clause of more than 600m euro. (Goal)

600mil? That's more of a challenge than sheikh proof.

Messi983

Pedri’s representatives have arrived at the club offices to close the renewal agreement until 2026. @ElGolazoDeGol#Transfers

Mateka

600m appears absurd. Are we seeing new hugely inflationary release clauses because of new money coming into the game? For the player, does it appear to be a sum so large it is not worth including the clause?

Bobo32

600m appears absurd. Are we seeing new hugely inflationary release clauses because of new money coming into the game? For the player, does it appear to be a sum so large it is not worth including the clause?

They always seemed and were meant to seem absurd, then a 200m one, or whatever it was, was payed.

Messi983

What's really absurd is La Liga is the only top league (from what I know) where release clauses are obligatory which put their clubs in bad situation and most of them have learned it the hard way. Not just Barca with Neymar, a lot of smaller clubs have lost important players due to relatively low BO clauses as well. RM have put 1B clause into CR and Bale's contracts years ago and something like 700m for likes of Isco and Kroos IIRC. Now most clubs are doing that as long as the players agreed on high clauses.

For me BO clauses in football at this point are just stupid and they're based on Spanish work law from 1980s IIRC.

OTOH you have Bilbao who have re-signed a few of their players (Muniain was the first one in 2018) with no BO clauses included in their contracts in recent years. Don't know how they did that but this kind of contract is for me much stronger than the one with a high clause as it really puts a lot of confidence in both sides to respect the contract.

Andresito

Staff member
Muniain having no release clause must be a bureaucratic workaround which is why clubs would rather set an unrealistic release clause rather than doing what Athletic has done.

“This was a way to show my loyalty to the club” was Muniain's words when he signed that contract.
Why is that worth more than what Pedri is doing with the 1bn release clause? No club is going to pay that, Pedri is about as 'stuck' at his club as Muniain is.

fergus90

What's really absurd is La Liga is the only top league (from what I know) where release clauses are obligatory which put their clubs in bad situation and most of them have learned it the hard way. Not just Barca with Neymar, a lot of smaller clubs have lost important players due to relatively low BO clauses as well. RM have put 1B clause into CR and Bale's contracts years ago and something like 700m for likes of Isco and Kroos IIRC. Now most clubs are doing that as long as the players agreed on high clauses.

For me BO clauses in football at this point are just stupid and they're based on Spanish work law from 1980s IIRC.

OTOH you have Bilbao who have re-signed a few of their players (Muniain was the first one in 2018) with no BO clauses included in their contracts in recent years. Don't know how they did that but this kind of contract is for me much stronger than the one with a high clause as it really puts a lot of confidence in both sides to respect the contract.

For me they're necessary. There's no excuse for a footballer to walk around unshowered with the salaries they're on. At worst use the facilities in the changing room.

khaled_a_d

I think it is just clubs banking on players not challenging the buyout clauses in court. They are illegal but since no one complains they will be ok.
I actually think that buyout clauses will sooner or later be obligatory in all football world. Player association has already negotiated it with FIFA, I think it will be reality in couple of decades

Home of Barca Fans