2021 Ballon d'Or

Xaviniesta

[L'Equipe] Best XI of Ballon d'Or omissions.

dpl04r7yuns71.webp

dpl04r7yuns71.jpg

dpl04r7yuns71.jpg

seeing how biased and deluded some of these french journalists are, i reckon it's been in the bag for Messi since his qsg move

El Flaco

If we had won the league, then maybe, but we didnt so i dont think Benzema has any chance of winning.

Top 3 maybe, but thats about it.

Even if Benzema won LaLiga, he still wouldn't come close winning it.

Messi & Lewy are the clear favorites as they have much better stats than Benzema & even became top scorers in their respective leagues.

Mateka

:lol: :lol:

France have had actual WC winners and world class players like Pogba, Varane, Kante, Benz etc. and none of them have even sniffed a top 3.

Seriously, this type of mentality is exactly why England have been losers on the world stage of football for 55 years and counting.

Seriously, you have added 2 + 2 and made 7

malvolio

Even if Benzema won LaLiga, he still wouldn't come close winning it.

Messi & Lewy are the clear favorites as they have much better stats than Benzema & even became top scorers in their respective leagues.

This. Prime reason is that Messi outscored and outassisted Benzema last year, in the same league.

Rassvet

My top 3 would still be Messi > Lewandowski > Benzema, but I don’t think Benz is far off the other two at all now.

Rassvet

This. Prime reason is that Messi outscored and outassisted Benzema last year, in the same league.

Benzema’s individual performances are fairly equal to Messi this year imo. Their numbers are pretty similar while Messi’s general game was better but Benz outperformed him in big games.

What gives Messi the edge is the Copa America win.

Andresito

Staff member
1st Messi
2nd Lewa

Rest is debatable as long as Cristiano isn't in top 3, maybe not even top 5.

Mateka

[L'Equipe] Best XI of Ballon d'Or omissions.

dpl04r7yuns71.webp

dpl04r7yuns71.jpg

dpl04r7yuns71.jpg

seeing how biased and deluded some of these french journalists are, i reckon it's been in the bag for Messi since his qsg move

L’Equipe appear to support Man City, 5 nominations.Incroyable.

Birdy

Messi fanboys here haven't come up yet with a consistent argument about why Messi should win it.

Most of the time it's about 'He is the best player of all time' BS
His 2020 was atrocious, and his 2021 was decent but far cry from all his previous seasons

If the argument that is about trophies, and supposedly Copa America has any weight here (which it hasn't, and it shouldn't have)
then Jorginho easily wins: both CL and Euro, when each one individually is >>> than Copa America

If the argument is about performance, Lewa should win it hands down.
Fantastic 2020 with treble being the best player of the best team, and broke Miller's record in 2021 and won the golden boot in Europe.
Better than Messi in both 2020, and the half of 2021 until now.

PS:
But that's the problem with 'awards' like these, not based on any objective metric, but rather on voting,
where you have fanboy-journalists deciding on it

Rassvet

Messi fanboys here haven't come up yet with a consistent argument about why Messi should win it.

Most of the time it's about 'He is the best player of all time' BS
His 2020 was atrocious, and his 2021 was decent but far cry from all his previous seasons

If the argument that is about trophies, and supposedly Copa America has any weight here (which it hasn't, and it shouldn't have)
then Jorginho easily wins: both CL and Euro, when each one individually is >>> than Copa America

If the argument is about performance, Lewa should win it hands down.
Fantastic 2020 with treble being the best player of the best team, and broke Miller's record in 2021 and won the golden boot in Europe.
Better than Messi in both 2020, and the half of 2021 until now.

PS:
But that's the problem with 'awards' like these, not based on any objective metric, but rather on voting,
where you have fanboy-journalists deciding on it

The award is usually based on a mix of performances AND trophies. I would say Messi, Lewandowski, and Benzema are around a similar level individually but Messi winning Copa America gives him the edge for this year. I'm not sure why you bring 2020 into it or the fact that 2021 was not one of Messi's best years which is more a testament to how good his past years were.

Home of Barca Fans