6 - Gavi

ajnotkeith

Here is his game vs Portugal u18 yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K13fJzQX7U4

I didn't watch the game, but from the compilation he looks to have had a decent game, playing a bit Xavi-like, linking up from the buildup.
He still looks like a youth player though. He is weak in duels and loses balance easily, he missed opponents when attempting longer passes multiple times (three times towards the RW, two were intercepted), the challenge that gave him a yellow was silly. He didn't offer much in the final third, or many surprising solutions, and looked a bit too conservative in his decisions once more...

I like his style, but think he has a lot to improve still.
I haven't watched it, do you honestly think he wasn't that good? Tbh if he is a Barca first team level talent he should be able to boss u18 games easily, could have just been an off day

Bobo32

I haven't watched it, do you honestly think he wasn't that good? Tbh if he is a Barca first team level talent he should be able to boss u18 games easily, could have just been an off day

Just watch it then and judge for yourself?
As I wrote, I thought he was decent. Pretty good actually, but with the mistakes I already wrote about.

Porque

The Number 7 in the picture is the player who rejected Barcelona approach to go to Frankfurt. He is a right wingsr, and the way our Summer has gone he may have found himself in first team dynamics. Perhaps we wouldn't have signed Demir even.

Also I checked the goalscorers and both were scored by Luzzi.

The U18 play again tomorrow so I will try and catch that game.

Lastly on Gavi, he was the first sub and only played 45 minutes. Unsure why, a knock perhaps?

vegitot

So this lad is only 17 years old, played for Juvenil A last season, not even a B team, is called up and play for his youth NT team. Meanwhile Mavericky was never rated by any level.

We are clear.

Andresito

Staff member
The Number 7 in the picture is the player who rejected Barcelona approach to go to Frankfurt. He is a right wingsr, and the way our Summer has gone he may have found himself in first team dynamics. Perhaps we wouldn't have signed Demir even.

Also I checked the goalscorers and both were scored by Luzzi.

The U18 play again tomorrow so I will try and catch that game.

Lastly on Gavi, he was the first sub and only played 45 minutes. Unsure why, a knock perhaps?

They play every two days, even Luzzi was subbed off early. Perhaps chances are given to other players, knowing that Luzzi and especially Gavi are clear starters? They are pointless friendlies after all. Just me guessing though.

Noticed that we had 4 starters from Barca: Arnau Casas, Gavi, Ilias and Luzzi.
Diego Almeida was subbed on for the last 5 mins as well.

Andresito

Staff member
Is he our next #8 by the way? He's going the Ansu route of being promoted directly from Juvenil A. With Pjanic leaving the #8 is free.

IIRC players can only change first team numbers if they haven't worn their previous. So Pedri for example can't grab the 8.

BusiTheKing

Here is his game vs Portugal u18 yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K13fJzQX7U4

I didn't watch the game, but from the compilation he looks to have had a decent game, playing a bit Xavi-like, linking up from the buildup.
He still looks like a youth player though. He is weak in duels and loses balance easily, he missed opponents when attempting longer passes multiple times (three times towards the RW, two were intercepted), the challenge that gave him a yellow was silly. He didn't offer much in the final third, or many surprising solutions, and looked a bit too conservative in his decisions once more...

I like his style, but think he has a lot to improve still.

Subtrack the wavy biomechanics and this is mostly side passes plus a few long balls.

Think I might have been wrong hyping him up last year but the B-team seems like a good option for now.

BusiTheKing

Please don't get fooled by his flair of movement. Go to lower division football and you'll find one of these types in every other team. Analyse what actually comes from his actions.

Bobo32

Subtrack the wavy biomechanics and this is mostly side passes plus a few long balls.

Think I might have been wrong hyping him up last year but the B-team seems like a good option for now.

I usually dislike the differentiation between sideways/forward passing - Xavi played mostly sideways or backwards, but he did so correctly, with the right timing.
Gavi does as well mostly, but his long balls were premature and badly timed, and he was not constructive enough in this clip. I think this has been the case most of the games I watched of him, but I still believe in him as I think he has a sense of positioning, nice technique, and a nice intuitive sense for the game after all - he just needs to grow into it a little bit and to change his mentality a bit I think

ajnotkeith

Please don't get fooled by his flair of movement. Go to lower division football and you'll find one of these types in every other team. Analyse what actually comes from his actions.

That's true. The weird running and darting around draws your attention and makes him look dangerous but if you imagined him carrying the ball in a normal way his actions don't look that impressive.

He has decent dribbling skills but overall if you don't stand out in a u18 game you probably aren't ready for Barca's first team yet. I think Koeman may have bought the hype on Gavi and Nico prematurely.

He also seems to fall very easily I noticed in the preseason games as well but usually gets fouls for it.

We have to think he is looking world-class in training because what he showed this preseason and in the Spain NT games does not look worthy to join the first-team instantly from JuvA.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

I also hate that Gavi and Nico are both passive sidepass midfielders when we had Moriba who wasn't afraid to take a shot and get in attacking positions.

serghei

I also hate that Gavi and Nico are both passive sidepass midfielders when we had Moriba who wasn't afraid to take a shot and get in attacking positions.

Ah yes. CMs are supposed to be passers first, attackers second. The amount of side passing a midfielder does is often dictated by how the manager sets up his team. If you set them up poorly expect fewer active teammates to pass to, ergo more safety passing, a plague that has affected this team with both EV and Koeman.

Moriba had potential, but he was an average passer, and while he did go up in offense, he scored just one goal in all his minutes.

M3ls

Niko and Gavi are overrated. Our best midfielder in the youth team is Orellana. An absolute talent. An improved version of Busquets - he is faster and better in defense.

M3ls

He's the perfect defensive midfielder for a 4-3-3. His vision of the pitch, control, passing, playing under pressure, tactical knowledge and understanding of how a defensive player should play in 4 - 3 - 3 at the highest level.

M3ls

I don't understand why Koeman doesn't call him to the team. We don't have a single player in our team who is good at the position of the only defensive player in the 4-3 -3 formation, except for Busquets, but Sergi is already getting old.

Frankie is not suitable for this position for many reasons. Ten Haag has said this many times.

So why doesn't Koeman call Orellana to the team?

Home of Barca Fans