Antoine Griezmann

Joan

Barca has its hands tied. If Griezmann refuses to leave, they can either bench him (which achieves nothing for us) or terminate his contract. Resulting in Barca getting even worse reputation and losing in court in the end. Double L but might keep Messi for a while.

So let's hope we find a deal which pleases both sides.

Birdy

I'm more so wondering why you are so set on the club having a good position here, it's certainly not that easy for us. Barca would lose big time, not only financially at court (that will take a while though) but also when it comes to publicity. I mean we talk about straight up breaking a contract and refusing payment for a player here, that's pretty shitty.

It's easy for Griezmann to stay put because the contract is on his side. It's not his fault Barca has fucked up finances and other players taking pay cuts is non of his business as well so it's hard for me to blame him.

I get it, we all want Griezmann gone and i'm sure most fans want Messi to stay as well but we can't just expect all players we don't like to fuck off as soon as they aren't wanted anymore and contracts should be respected. I hope there will be a solution that can somehow satisfy both parties, otherwise that'd be a really bad look for Barca once again.

What you write is correct in principle, but the current context is missing.
It;s not that Laporta woke up on day and decided to be an asshole to Griezman in particular.

It's a real possibility that by the end of the window all of the squad earning above 8m will have either agreed to 50-60% cut or sold/loaned out.
In this context, you think it's that easy for Griezman to say "I will keep playing on my current wage"?
On the contrary of what you say, this shows a bad character on Griezman's part.

Of course, if that happens (which will not), there will be some huge retribution from the club, and him sitting on the stands the whole year will be morally justifiable (and the possibility of him hurting his career if he is that stubborn is there)

And, as I said above, I don't think he means it.
It's a power game, because he wants to divert his potential exit to his favorable destination

Last edited:

ronniecro

turning out to be worst transfer of all times-huge transfer,huge salary,huge misfit,flop,club wanting to get rid of him after two years,can't make him accept lower salary,can't sell him,can't terminate contract...absolute embarrassment on all levels

MTL_Barca

What you write is correct in principle, but the current context is missing.
It;s not that Laporta woke up on day and decided to be an asshole to Griezman in particular.

It's a real possibility that by the end of the window all of the squad earning above 8m will have either agreed to 50-60% cut or sold/loaned out.
In this context, you think it's that easy for Griezman to say "I will keep playing on my current wage"?

Of course, if that happens (which will not), there will be some huge retribution from the club, and him sitting on the stands the whole year will be morally justifiable (and the possibility of him hurting his career if he is that stubborn is there)

And, as I said above, I don't think he means it.
It's a power game, because he wants to divert his potential exit to his favorable destination

I think it's actually quite easy for Griezmann to say that yes, there is just no reason for him to accept a transfer he doesn't want right now or even agree to a wage cut just to help out the club that desperately wants to ship him to another team asap at the same time. I mean "paycut or leave" isn't exactly threatening with a binding contract is it? The club is running out of time not him. Benching him while paying him would be much worse for Barca than for Griezmann, actually that "power play" would be the absolute worst case scenario for Barca.

And it's not like Griezmann outright refuses to leave at the moment, as far as we know. Let's not forget that Barca not only wants to get rid of him but also wants to sell/trade for a decent deal. Last step before considering legal battles would be free transfer/loan to club of his choice, there's a good chance he'd already be at another team right now in that case but that's something Barca wants to avoid for obvious reasons. So the waiting continues, but the time is favoring Griezmanns side.

We'll see, but unless some miracle happens the club will be the big loser in that whole story. The desperation is just way too obvious for agents/clubs not to exploit it, i don't see any way for Barca to come out on top. Wouldn't be suprised if it ends up as a loan or a really unfavorable trade, because the offers probably won't get better the longer we can't register Messi.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

A-this is real possibility, but the bigger possibility is that they won't. Even captains like Alba and Roberto and even Busquets didn't do it.

-There is a reason why we are using "threats" about going to court, we are losing every leverage we have by agents calling our "bluff"

-What career is Griezmann going to lose? He isn't going to make career by just playing some games, with no international tournament next summer that won't work for him while being Deschamps favourite player.
Why would he go to Spurs? How it would benefit his career? Manu? What is he going to add to his resume there.

You keep laughing about Griezman wage and level, but you also keep assuming that there will be offers, when the truth is overpaid players are negative assets.

He holds all the cards, unless the club can come with an offer from another club with same wage then there is nothing the court can do for us. Well other than adding to our bells through

Messigician

Antoine Griezmann has been offered to Man City and Tottenham who are both interested in the player for a swap exchange, but the player only wants Atl?tico Madrid should he leave the club at all. He is not willing to lower his economic conditions just because Bar?a are in a complicated position financially.

? @lequipe

Birdy

A-this is real possibility, but the bigger possibility is that they won't. Even captains like Alba and Roberto and even Busquets didn't do it.

-There is a reason why we are using "threats" about going to court, we are losing every leverage we have by agents calling our "bluff"

-What career is Griezmann going to lose? He isn't going to make career by just playing some games, with no international tournament next summer that won't work for him while being Deschamps favourite player.
Why would he go to Spurs? How it would benefit his career? Manu? What is he going to add to his resume there.

You keep laughing about Griezman wage and level, but you also keep assuming that there will be offers, when the truth is overpaid players are negative assets.

He holds all the cards, unless the club can come with an offer from another club with same wage then there is nothing the court can do for us. Well other than adding to our bells through

Pique has publicly agreed, Busi and Roberto have privately agreed, we haven't heard only from Alba.
And again, you are bypassing the biggest legend of all: Messi renewed with 50% wage-cut to help the club. Isn't any other more important benchmark?

As for the career, you are totally wrong on this.
2 years on the stands? When the WC is in 1.5 years from now?
No way he is going to take that route.
Actually no player who respects himself is taking that route to sit on a contract.
Only Bale, who is interested more in golf, and Umtiti, who is finished and knows he is finished.

He is not holding all the cards, just some, and he is playing his game to engineer the ideal move for him

JamDav1982

There is not the option to put Griezmann in the stands really as all it does is weaken team who still have to pay his full salary and cant register Messi as Griezmann salary still counts in LFP calculations.

Power lies with Griezmann as he knows it is not an option for the club.

khaled_a_d

Pique has publicly agreed,

True.

Busi and Roberto have privately agreed, we haven't heard only from Alba

Not true, Roberto and Alba already rejected, Roberto wants to be paid handsomely on longer years if he takes pay cut now. Alba has rejected payment reduction and Busquets will accept something way less than the club willing to offer.

Messi renewed with 50% wage-cut to help the club.

No, it is just not important actually.
-Messi isn't under contract, if he wants to stay here, he can take a pay cut, if he doesn't he won't stay.
-If he wants to leave, he can choose to leave on his own terms.
So absolutely no comparison between both cases.
That is why I rightfully ignored it.

Isn't any other more important benchmark?

And this is where you don't make sense:
You are counting on peer pressure as the biggest leverage of the club :banghead:
Some players might do that, but they have family and agents who has zero incentive to do it. You think a player agent will happily accept a lower pay day for himself because his client decided to give a pay cut to a billion dollar organization? You think their wives/GF will happily convince them to stay here for lower money? Because Messi accepted to be the best paid player on the team? or because the guy whose GF is wealthier than any other footballer (except Messi and CR7) has accepted a pay cut?
And for 3rd time, all of those are players tied for long period to the club, they have ambitious about being Barca coach/president, what does Griezmann trading for now?
The only other players who accepted such pay cut, accepted a longer contracts on high wage later, just in case you think you can make another comparison.

As for the career, you are totally wrong on this.
2 years on the stands? When the WC is in 1.5 years from now?
No way he is going to take that route.
Actually no player who respects himself is taking that route to sit on a contract.
Only Bale, who is interested more in golf, and Umtiti, who is finished and knows he is finished.

Let's get our facts right:
A-No club that respect itself will bench a player like Griezmann for financial reasons.
B-Griezmann can sit next year and force the club to do what he wants next summer, it isn't like it hasn't been done before.
Stubbornness isn't a way to do business, you don't flush 30-45M per year in the toilet to feel powerful. Laporta is a politician and he knows that.

Unless an EPL comes with a lucrative offer for Griezmann, the club has no ground to punish him, and in fact he will have a stronger case in court against the club if we bench him.

Last edited:

Redbuck

Antoine Griezmann refuses to budge, he will return to Atletico or stay at Barca he will not leave Spain

? @lequipe

Not kinda surprised tbh. When it comes to Griezmann, it's either Atletico or the highway. Laporta should really have made the Griezmann-Saul swap deal happen.

khaled_a_d

Laporta should really have made the Griezmann-Saul swap deal happen.

Depending on the details.
If it was really Saul on limited wage (one 3rd of Griezmann) and it is direct swap, I agree.
If Atletico actually wanted us to pay some of the wage difference, or we had to pay extra salary for Saul then he might have a point.
But if it was a straight swap and we decided to want extra 15M :facepalm:

Redbuck

Depending on the details.
If it was really Saul on limited wage (one 3rd of Griezmann) and it is direct swap, I agree.
If Atletico actually wanted us to pay some of the wage difference, or we had to pay extra salary for Saul then he might have a point.
But if it was a straight swap and we decided to want extra 15M :facepalm:

Really think Laporta wanted the third scenario and that's why the deal fell through. But I don't really blame him considering our financial situation.

Home of Barca Fans