European Super League

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
What happens if FIFA launch their revised Club World Cup with 24 teams and offer way more money than UEFA do?

Nothing's stopping all the European teams from playing their B teams in the CL thus diluting that product and focusing on FIFA's tourney instead.

serghei

What happens if FIFA launch their revised Club World Cup with 24 teams and offer way more money than UEFA do?

Nothing's stopping all the European teams from playing their B teams in the CL thus diluting that product and focusing on FIFA's tourney instead.

The more likely scenario is that clubs will focus on both. There's room for both imo, especially since CL is a pretty easy competition until the quarters or so. Basically, Barca face 2-4 high-pressure tough games these days in CL before going out.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
None of the founding member clubs have actually legally withdrawn from the ESL yet according to multiple reports. If they do they have to pay a 150m penalty to the remaining clubs. I believe that's the issue here.

Besides Laporta has committed to letting the members decide what the club does with regards to this issue.

Ceferin has to get real and understand his position here. He's a nobody. If he overplays his hand he'll be gone.

If that's the case then we can do exactly like what those 9 teams did, publicly pulling out but not really pulling out to avoid paying any penalty fees. At least it will make us look better and avoid any sanctions from UEFA.

Also, it is pretty clear that the majority of football fans in Europe oppose the ESL (as it currently stands), I think the chances of our socis voting for it to approve it are close to nil at this point. I don't think this procedural formality is what is holding Laporta from pulling us out.

serghei

If that's the case then we can do exactly like what those 9 teams did, publicly pulling out but not really pulling out to avoid paying any penalty fees. At least it will make us look better and avoid any sanctions from UEFA.

That's the approach that makes sense. UEFA don't have any way to find out for a good while if clubs are completely legally out of ESL project or not, I suspect contracts are confidential and all. All of this is basically taking a step back publicly, on the declarative level, and accepting the defeat in terms of public image.

Last edited:

serghei

I personally don't expect any riots and heads rolling inside UEFA if Barca and Madrid are banned from CL. As someone said, Barca and Madrid look pretty jaded and desperate now.

Barca and Madrid clubs need to get their house and their finances in order first. They got more important things to do than fucking going to war with UEFA for a project that's been ditched (at least temporarily) by all big clubs involved nearly.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Barca and Madrid clubs need to get their house and their finances in order first.

I don't get sentences like that.
Barca & RM are the most valuable clubs in world of football, the ones with the most earnings and even their finances would haven't been troubling without the pandemic.
Did they spend on some busts? Sure but this happens with sports, you can't 100% predict what human factors will happen

Liverpool wasted all their Suarez money on busts, Chelsea made Kepa the most expensive GK in history and paid hefty sum of Torres, Manu might lose former most expensive player in history for free, or at least on a bad discount, McGuire isn't worth the money at all.
Every club will go under such circumstances, it is normal.

And part of sorting the house is increasing the revenue, which is ESL is for.
I don't like the idea of ESL at all btw, and still thinks the umbrella of an organization like UEFA is important. But you can't just blame clubs like Barca & RM just based on "they need to sort their house first"
Hello, that is what they are trying to do

None of the founding member clubs have actually legally withdrawn from the ESL yet according to multiple reports. If they do they have to pay a 150m penalty to the remaining clubs. I believe that's the issue here.

Chelsea and City was already said to have done the paper work even before they announce it, because of the political movement by British government with both Russia and UAE.
The 150M isn't a thing. Arsenal owner already said that they will have to pay less than 8M for checking out.

Ceferin has to get real and understand his position here. He's a nobody. If he overplays his hand he'll be gone.

Not accurate, he is the leading man in the 2nd strongest organization in football, backed by politicians, the federations of European country/ies of the involved clubs in ESL (England for sure, might be Italy too, I think Spain seems neutral)
If anything, guys like Laporta are no body in comparison to him. At least with Agnelli he is a member of Italian oligarch and Perez is a billionaire.

Ceferin himself is from a dynasty of successful legal attorneys btw. And clearly a successful politician.
It isn't wise to underestimate the man IMO.

Last edited:

serghei

And part of sorting the house is increasing the revenue, which is ESL is for.
I don't like the idea of ESL at all btw, and still thinks the umbrella of an organization like UEFA is important. But you can't just blame clubs like Barca & RM just based on "they need to sort their house first"
Hello, that is what they are trying to do

They already have the biggest revenue out of all teams. Maybe the question is why being no1 in revenue doesn't translate on the field? Maybe because they are spending what they make very very very poorly. On huge contracts for veterans, bad transfers, and so on.

I don't get your post. Barca and Madrid, especially Barca, have been run like shit. That's the problem. The club is no1 in terms of revenue before the pandemic hit, bordering on 1billion if I remember right, but the way the revenue has been spent has been a disaster. Just look at Messi's leaked contract ffs. The wages Griezman gets. It's hilariously bad spending.

Barca/Madrid don't have a problem making money. They have a problem of investing them. Barca pay their squad the highest wages by far for years and years, and the team is a joke in Europe. What are we talking about?

If we compare the wages in this Chelsea side, with the wages at Barca, I think we might be getting a difference of well over 150m. Pique probably has much bigger wages than Rudiger, while being half the player. Pulisic with Griezmann, lol, Griezmann probably has 3-4 times the salary. And so on. Messi, with bonuses, probably earns as much the whole Chelsea's first 11 if not more.

The problem is the huge spending on a squad that didn't count in Europe for nearly half a decade. And let's not even talk about the managers Barca had, guys who no other top team ever touched or will touch. Do you guys think some top 8 team will ever hire guys like Valverde, Setien, or even Koeman? :lol: These guys are Valencia, Bilbao, Betis level, with major flaws in multiple areas. Not even Lucho is good enough to land a top club.

The club has been terribly managed, and not because it's not generating enough money. This is nonsense. Lol, if they have a spike in revenue, they probably use the extra money to give Messi a bigger contract :lol:.

Last edited:

stb_1

It makes me laugh when Real and Barca say they can't compete with PL spending when they have spent way more!!

Manage your finances, stop wasting money on Hazard, Griez, Coutinho, Dembele etc!

Real Madrid literally took Chelsea's best player and then got knocked out by them, same with Barcelona and Liverpool.

El Gato

Villarato!
Arsenal owner already said that they will have to pay less than 8M for checking out..

He didn't. Josh Kroenke, Stan's son, did. And kind of in passing to answer an Arsenal fan forum question IIRC so I wouldn't put my money on it being correct

serghei

It makes me laugh when Real and Barca say they can't compete with PL spending when they have spent way more!!

Manage your finances, stop wasting money on Hazard, Griez, Coutinho, Dembele etc!

Real Madrid literally took Chelsea's best player and then got knocked out by them, same with Barcelona and Liverpool.

What they can't compete with currently is how well the English teams are spending their good revenues. On talented hungry players, and top class managers. Compared with Barca and Madrid who don't seem to realize that this is not 2015 anymore.

When you land players like Ronaldinho, Neymar, Cristiano Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, etc., the galactico approach is nice. So, if some teams can land at least one of Mbappe or Haaland, maybe they can make the galactico-approach a working formula again (unlike those jokes at PSG). Because these are incredible players who will no doubt make a difference (and Mbappe + Haaland are still not at the level of the first ones mentioned). It's almost a sure thing. But when you keep the same approach and pay the same prices, but instead land guys like Dembele, Griezmann, Hazard, Coutinho, well... :lol: let's say that guaranteed world class difference-makers is the last thing you will get.

The galactico approach is good only when you get the best of the best. Like MSN. When you don't, and you are unable to differentiate the real gems from players who are overrated and overhyped, extremely bad things can happen. And when you add COVID in the discussion, of course you're gonna end up in major debt. Terrible spending, disastrous management (linked with terrible spending part) + COVID crisis are the major problems of Barcelona.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I don't get your post. Barca and Madrid, especially Barca, have been run like shit. That's the problem. The club is no1 in terms of revenue before the pandemic hit, bordering on 1billion if I remember right, but the way the revenue has been spent has been a disaster. Just look at Messi's leaked contract ffs. The wages Griezman gets. It's hilariously bad spending.

Barca and RM didn't have highest wage to revenue before pandemic, and even their net transfer spending was within limits of other European top clubs, both City and Manu spent far more iirc.

Same with their debt, relative to their revenue it was normal to their other clubs.

So, no Financially we weren't run like shit. Both clubs are run like their other EPL clubs.

khaled_a_d

He didn't. Josh Kroenke, Stan's son, did. And kind of in passing to answer an Arsenal fan forum question IIRC so I wouldn't put my money on it being correct

Which is still by far the biggest and most reliable statement about the topic. No good sources up till now about binding 150M punishment that people are fantasising about.

stb_1

Barca and RM didn't have highest wage to revenue before pandemic, and even their net transfer spending was within limits of other European top clubs, both City and Manu spent far more iirc.

Same with their debt, relative to their revenue it was normal to their other clubs.

So, no Financially we weren't run like shit. Both clubs are run like their other EPL clubs.

Check Messi wages and come back

Home of Barca Fans