Zinedine Zidane

Birdy

People with eyes open did not need the Chelsea humiliation to see his tactical limitations as a coach.
One of the most overrated out there.

But the travesty for RM is that - unless they go out and start some Man City/PSG type buying spree for most positions the next 2-3 years - they are wasting years of rebuilding with Zidane.
His track record against youth is glaring.
IMO he was only vindicated for Morata in 2017 who did not live up to his hype, and Ceballos who is struggling to play at Arsenal.
Only 2 Ws, and a huge list of huge Ls for the likes of:
Kovasic, Hakimi, Reguillon, Theo Hernandez, Odegaard, Jovic, Llorente just to name a few

Even the current members of his team that have huge potential are not trusted. Vinicius has become a regular only because Hazard is constantly out. Rodrygo is not playing.
Militao's case is shocking: The guy is their best defender the last month he has been playing, but whenever Ramos/Varane are fit, Zidane will always sit him out.

The more he stays, the more RM does not build a new team, the better for Barca.
We have started the transition, while Zidane is still playing with Modric-Kroos-Casemiro, Benz up front, Ramos at the back.
Imagine RM had someone else who believed in youth and had the capacity to build a team, and had started the transition in 2018 or 19 with that core of players. It would have been a nightmare for Barca...

That's why I am eternally grateful to the voodoo master Zinedine Zidane

Bobo32

I have not agreed with Birdy a lot on this site I think, but I agree that Zidane has been very overrated.
I think the old players are great and should play, and I think that Zidane is a very good coach who often find the correct small tweaks at the right time, but he overacheived greatly so far in his carreer.

El Gato

Villarato!
Birdy repeats this shit take for so long. Who overrates Zidane as a coach? Even Ferdinand went on air and claimed you should do the opposite and start putting respect on his name. Specifically because he's not really rated for it. And here we are still having this old discussion because Birdy can't differentiate and needs his crusade to continue.

He's a great manager with a plenty of flaws, tries a lot of things, makes a lot of good and bad decisions. He's rated just right.

Birdy

Birdy repeats this shit take for so long. Who overrates Zidane as a coach? Even Ferdinand went on air and claimed you should do the opposite and start putting respect on his name. Specifically because he's not really rated for it. And here we are still having this old discussion because Birdy can't differentiate and needs his crusade to continue.

He's a great manager with a plenty of flaws, tries a lot of things, makes a lot of good and bad decisions. He's rated just right.

But you don't agree you have wasted at least 2 years of rebuilding with Zidane

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Zidane is Zidane, he knows how to motivate the players but i think tactic wise he is an average coach. What was that yesterday with Vini? He played half AV. Hazard was clearly not ready and shouldnt have played second half.

Morten

If RM fans can't see it,

then it's great for us

Zidanes record with youth isn't great, but just a quick point, he isn't in charge of tranfer policy though, Perez will do his own thing there, always.

One of those things is buying young brazilian attackers for way more than what they are worth, cause he cant let go of Neymar.

He's responsible for not giving young players too many chances, but he's really been dealt a bad hand by Perez in terms of the attack.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
i mean, making the CL semis is a very good achievement for any coach. its not as bad as all that has been said in the last day. i actually think the CL semis are the hardest matches to win (unless you are Juve/Dortmund who cant win finals :lol:) and 3-1 is not a horrible result. could be worse, a la barca, lol.

hell stay

Richard.H

i mean, making the CL semis is a very good achievement for any coach. its not as bad as all that has been said in the last day. i actually think the CL semis are the hardest matches to win (unless you are Juve/Dortmund who cant win finals :lol:) and 3-1 is not a horrible result. could be worse, a la barca, lol.

hell stay

True. We made CL semis only once in the last six years

BarcaOG

Banned

exactly. thats very concerning. making the semis regularly is a solid indicator of who the very top clubs in Europe are. earlier in the 2010s it was always barca, real, bayern + random English/dortmund/juventus team.

Morten

Sure, but look at it this way.
If Inter doesnt hand us the group win, we would face Bayern/PSG instead, who would have knocked us out earlier.

There is a certain amount of luck to the draw.

KingLeo10

Losing 1-3 to Chelsea is a bigger loss than losing 3-4 to a stronger Liverpool. Of course, it doesn't and shouldn't excuse the 0-4 at Anfield but RM put in an absolute disaster class over 2 legs and if we're going to attach humiliations to our exits, we should do the same for their recent 3 exits (Blown out by Ajax at home, lost both rounds to City, and whooped by Chelsea).

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Losing 1-3 to Chelsea is a bigger loss than losing 3-4 to a stronger Liverpool. Of course, it doesn't and shouldn't excuse the 0-4 at Anfield but RM put in an absolute disaster class over 2 legs and if we're going to attach humiliations to our exits, we should do the same for their recent 3 exits (Blown out by Ajax at home, lost both rounds to City, and whooped by Chelsea).

Its ok to lose against city otherwise i agree

Home of Barca Fans