Ronald Koeman

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If we don't win this weekend he should be gone. If he plays the old guard again or misses totally tactically then he should probably be gone too.

I know it's a team in transition, but you cannot lose every single big game in a season.

Vilarrubi

If we don't win this weekend he should be gone. If he plays the old guard again or misses totally tactically then he should probably be gone too.

I know it's a team in transition, but you cannot lose every single big game in a season.

+1

If we do win expect people to come on here saying “where’s the Koeman haters” etc but what you are saying is 100% valid. Can’t go through whole season not winning majority of big games, despite the good things he’s done. Imo we can build on what he’s done next season with or without him.

Bobo32

Take: Koeman has been in charge of Barcelona for about 50 games - his future should not depend on the result against a very tough Atletico side.

Bobo32

It ideally shouldn't, but we all know it will.

A good president will know what action needs to be taken, whether it's kicking someone in charge of a double winning team, or keeping someone who is struggling like Rijkaard was his first half a year.
There are a lot of factors involved in a single game, Koeman controls very few of them.

But I mean you are right, or I think the final placement in the table will decide a lot.

Tackle

Still have not heard any legitimate alternatives put forward. Easy to criticize and tear down.

Nagelsmann gone to Bayern. Reckon Xavi is wise enough to avoid us for another few seasons until the old guard is completely cleared out, not that he is some slam dunk appointment to begin with.

Sack Koeman and it will be the likes of Pimienta or Blanc replacing him.

Koeman may be a second rate manager, but no need to irrationally sack him only to put up a third rate manager in his place.

Bobo32

Pimienta looks very good to me if Xavi wouldn't want to come this summer.
It would be something if they could bring Pep back, but I don't think that's very realistic...

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Take: Koeman has been in charge of Barcelona for about 50 games - his future should not depend on the result against a very tough Atletico side.

Agree. Rather, I would evaluate his performance against the strongest opponents we faced during the season. Among the top teams, the only one we have consistently defeated is Sevilla and for the rest, we have rarely looked the better side despite a defeat

It's one thing to fail to get a result despite impressing on the pitch, another to primarily get results against weaker sides

Bobo32

Agree. Rather, I would evaluate his performance against the strongest opponents we faced during the season. Among the top teams, the only one we have consistently defeated is Sevilla and for the rest, we have rarely looked the better side despite a defeat

It's one thing to fail to get a result despite impressing on the pitch, another to primarily get results against weaker sides

I agree, part of why I want Koeman out is the poor performance against stronger opponents (often with Koeman looking outsmarted or his decisions looking poor)
I think Koeman often has looked bad against weaker opponents too, though.

The manager is responsible for the whole team, but we should keep in mind he doesn't influence the results extremely much. If Messi was in GOAT-form in some of these big games, Koeman could've behaved exactly like he did, and have flawless results in big games... Against Elche and the likes, no one needed to be in great form to score a goal or two. My view is that Barcelona often won despite Koeman, not because of him.

fergus90

Still have not heard any legitimate alternatives put forward. Easy to criticize and tear down.

Nagelsmann gone to Bayern. Reckon Xavi is wise enough to avoid us for another few seasons until the old guard is completely cleared out, not that he is some slam dunk appointment to begin with.

Sack Koeman and it will be the likes of Pimienta or Blanc replacing him.

Koeman may be a second rate manager, but no need to irrationally sack him only to put up a third rate manager in his place.

There are no alternatives, which is why we are stuck with the likes of Setien and Koeman who get their biggest gig 20 years into their careers. No disrespect to Koeman of course as he loves Barca and took the job under difficult circumstances but realistically he isn't the same level of coach as he was player. Setien is now back milking udders where he belongs though.

Ultimately football is about cycles, and Barca had their time at the top and now have to focus on laying foundations to try and get there again.

fergus90

One thing is for sure, it's been a while since Barca have either employed a bonafide world class coach in his managerial prime or a relatively unknown/young quantity whose CV isn't long enough to be skeptical about.

vegitot

I hope that Xavi did not renew the contract with Al-Sadd for a reason.... He will be free from this summer.

It seems that he renew but can leave to Barca as long as he wants.
Btw, he just fails to past Afc Champion League group stage. Last season he lost in knock out round but this time he can not past group stage.

Home of Barca Fans