Florentino Perez

stb_1

Despite being hated by me as the president of the most hated club ever,

I have to admit he is a visionary that knows markets in and out, and his assessment is correct.
The future is heading towards that direction.
The SuperLeague will become a reality soon. The format will be tweaked and there will be a rudimentary relegation/promotion rule at some point.
But the essence and the core of it is that the best teams will play against each other exhaustively that has never happened before.
What will be eliminated is the casual Barca - Ferencvaros or RM - CSKA Moscow that we have been used to.

Some people will cling to the past and refuse to embrace the new that is coming,
but that was always the case with any historical development.

So Hungarian teams and Russian teams don't deserve the chance to compete to be the best team in Europe?

Birdy

Ok,
If someone had told me that one day I will find myself defending Florentino Perez, I would be LMAOL

But I hate not giving the argumentative merit where is due, and I hate hypocrisy.

Florentino Perez is like football version of Adolf Hitler. While Hitler wanted only men with blonde hair and blue eyes to be cared for, Florentino wants only the best rich teams together to be cared for and only them to be successful while all the other teams abandoned. Florentino is Hitler.

Maybe you have gone a bit too far with that?

The evolution of the sport has determined its trajectory in such a way that there is right now a cluster of teams that are better than the others on sporting merit only.
There is gradation between the best and the worst, but at the same time there is significant distance between this cluster of top teams and the rest.

When Perez is saying it's more interesting to see games between those teams rather than between a top team and a team that is not of that level, that is absolutely true.
When Barca play Ferencvaros, the only fans interested are Barca fans (and maybe not all of them), and Ferencvaros fans.
When Barca play Liverpool, the people interested in the game would be potentially every football fan around the globe.
Forget about markets and finances: What is at the best interest of the most fans around the globe: to have the former or the latter kind of game on a Wednesday night?

UEFA tries to fashion the image of the 'good father' that cares for all its kids, and 'democratically' gives the opportunity to everyone to participate.
While in reality from a Barca - Ferencvaros game, Barca gains nothing. It's only Ferencvaros that gains something, playing against a top team.
Why should Barca cater to that need? If it works better for them to play against Liverpool instead? If that excites more people and tunes in football fans at the other side of the globe?

El Gato

Villarato!
Don?t see how Madrid would end up with that money though. If it gets to that point (I don?t think it will) where the Super League can sue or receive money for those clubs backing out, no reason why it should go to Madrid, it will go to the Super League.

Maybe not.
I imagine they'd restructure the amount needed to kickstart the comp and pocket more of what they were going to put in while the others are taking a budget hit.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Many people may not like Perez or what they associate with him but he said things that are true. Times are changing fast, I was shocked to learn few years ago there are armies of people worldwide who pay to watch other people play video games.

Again, UEFA doesn't stand for small clubs, it's never about small guy against big oligarch. What, Belarus champion has a chance? Sure, after 4 preliminary rounds and then to face a club from big league.

I was disgusted long time ago when they abandoned Champions only competition. This "Champions" league stands for nothing. Bleeding money on non-football and corruption and doesn't move with times either so it's worst of both options.

Morten

Many people may not like Perez or what they associate with him but he said things that are true. Times are changing fast, I was shocked to learn few years ago there are armies of people worldwide who pay to watch other people play video games.

Again, UEFA doesn't stand for small clubs, it's never about small guy against big oligarch. What, Belarus champion has a chance? Sure, after 4 preliminary rounds and then to face a club from big league.

I was disgusted long time ago when they abandoned Champions only competition. This "Champions" league stands for nothing. Bleeding money on non-football and corruption and doesn't move with times either so it's worst of both options.

Is the "young people dont care about football anymore"-thing true, or just another one of his delusions?
Actually curious.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Is the "young people dont care about football anymore"-thing true, or just another one of his delusions?
Actually curious.

They certainly care less and they do have shorter attention span. All he said was true. Not saying you should cater to whatever but you have to move with times and stop bleeding money away on corrupt rats from UEFA.

Morten

They certainly care less and they do have shorter attention span. All he said was true. Not saying you should cater to whatever but you have to move with times and stop bleeding money away on corrupt rats from UEFA.

I would like to see a study of that, how much less young people watch football compare to older people.

Anyway, RM and Barca do just fine bleeding money on their own, buying joke players for 100 millions a piece.

Why is there no mention of that? Both clubs have spent more than most on transfers in the last few years.

Laplacian

Actually curious.

Since I'm an actual young person and not a biased boomer,
No.

In Leuven, Antwerp and Brussels matches are attended by young men (among others) in droves. Same thing in Amsterdam and various parts of Germany. If there's one constant amongst young men regardless of socioeconomic background and academic major, it's football.

BarcaOG

Banned
Didn't doubt you'd post another one of your usual shallow one-liners with another lol used to "punctuate"

the huge backlash against the SuperLol is evidence enough that it is a failed and unpopular project. while the current CL can be reformed to be made better, the idea of a non-relegation league for big money clubs without competition is a joke.

you might not agree with this, but it is the most popular view in europe right now.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to see a study of that, how much less young people watch football compare to older people.

Anyway, RM and Barca do just fine bleeding money on their own, buying joke players for 100 millions a piece.

Why is there no mention of that? Both clubs have spent more than most on transfers in the last few years.

Again, you're misinterpreting. It isn't about old vs the young. Of course younger people should be more interested in sports. It's about how many young people today compared to young people 10 years ago are interested in watching football. Perez hit the nail there. That trend will only worsen with e-games and whatever taking up more and more of leisure time.

BarcaOG

Banned
Again, you're misinterpreting. It isn't about old vs the young. Of course younger people should be more interested in sports. It's about how many young people today compared to young people 10 years ago are interested in watching football. Perez hit the nail there. That trend will only worsen with e-games and whatever taking up more and more of leisure time.

there is no evidence whatsoever to back that up. on what grounds can you claim young people are uninterested in sports? i hiiiiighly doubt that's true. your own 'impression' or 'sense' of what young people are like doesnt count as evidence. that's just a hunch/observation

Home of Barca Fans