Erling Braut Haaland

Donatello

What we do know is that

• Barca are 1,173bn in debt, including transfer related fees with 730m of that sum due in the short term while 266m is owed to the banks by 30 June.
  • We have a pandemic, revenue was already lower than costs for a long time, but it's particularly bad now.
  • Messi alone earns 139m a season including bonuses and an image rights contract.
  • Take Messi out and Barca is still the highest payer in wages in Europe.
  • Players accepted voluntary wage reductions, still apparently the club was unable to pay squad wages for December and January.

So without acting like some sort of financial expert I cannot imagine how in the right mind Barca could liquify >100m of anything right now. Even if that works, it will likely just be through more debt and in one year we will read about Barca now being at 1,4bn in the red. Just delaying and further worsening the problem. Next season you would again have the same problems, but the number would be even higher.

I cannot really grasp why people just chose to ignore it and speculate about Haaland, like that is even a priority. To me this all sounds like a very dramatic situation.

But if you could buy an asset would catapult your performance and maybe become the new face why not. Not to mention we're going to take a hit once Messi leaves, so why not control a bit of damage by signing Haaland who could definitely become marketable post Messi. Also in order to get good sponsorship deals you need to perform on field.

Its not like we're going to keep signing Haalands year after year. Our team is half good already, other than Haaland we just need a decent CB, a CDM and maybe a left back. Plus, Alaba can fill all those 3 for free. We'll bring back Emerson, maybe Todibo too. Emerson will cost 6M, Todibo will be free. Emerson has potential to be a starter, whike Todibo despite all the bad news can still come good.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

What we do know is that

Genuine question, but do we actually know that?
Because afaik this wasn't an officially stated number by the club or the board, and all presidential candidates asked to see books of the club first before assuming the transfers.
I mean, we all know for fact the financial situation is troublesome, but do we actually know the detailed numbers?

Yannik

Genuine question, but do we actually know that?
Because afaik this wasn't an officially stated number by the club or the board, and all presidential candidates asked to see books of the club first before assuming the transfers.
I mean, we all know for fact the financial situation is troublesome, but do we actually know the detailed numbers?

The numbers are from Barcas recently published financial report.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/fcbarce...62df0b6063/BALANC_ECONOMIC_ENG_compressed.pdf

financial-report.png

financial-report.png

Also states still due transfer payments.

player-liabilities.png

Last edited:

Proper

Banned
Those clubs don't have the romance of Barca, the lifestyle, the weather, the stadium.

Twice you've posted this and honestly I have no clue what you are talking about, so why several people liked you post I don't know, it sounds like your reading from a brochure or telling everyone your dream?

Romance and stadium, what the hell does that mean? When fans sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' at a big match at Anfield, nothing can beat the romance/buzz/emotion/atmosphere off that and I'm not even a Liverpool fan and wasn't Liverpool (as a City) voted Europe's capital of culture a few years back? London (UK's capital) is the financial capital of the world and due to the UK's influence in the world in entertainment, players can earn way more money outside football (image rights etc) than they do in Spain, hence why English players rarely travel.

Also do you want me, a guy who's been to Barcelona (not sure if you have) to tell you the reality of your dream and brochure? Barcelona's tap water tastes like your grandad's underpants and television is widely renowned to be rubbish. As for Madrid, whilst tap water tastes slightly better than Barcelona's, it still tastes like shit, bullfighting is a popular source of entertainment, if they arn't doing that they are chasing one down the street and matadors (bull murders) are rock stars over there, Spanish press are the worst in the world and whilst actually playing for Madrid your own fans will start booing you if you miss too many shots or they'll get their boogied handkerchiefs out.

Also since when have Barcelona/Real Madrid been the dream for a Scandinavian? :thinking: These guys are from cold climates, they don?t care about the sun. Traditionally, Spain is the dream for Latin counties, Spain/Portugal/South America, La Liga can have their choice of the best talent from these places more times than not.

Dutch/French/German/English/Italian/Scandinavian/Italian, Spain is not the dream, maybe for some, but not all. Hence why many German legends are not Barcelona/Real Madrid legends, hence why many Italian legends are not Real Madrid or Barcelona legends (and list goes on).

I'm saying that, but once again Haaland was born in England, could have played for England and speaks fluent English, you don't think this gives an advantage to a Premier League club?

Also why English weather gets pulled down I don't know, UK climate is perfect, hot but not too hot in the summer and cold but not too cold in the winter, whilst Spain is a mild climate, during the winter when it rains it absolutely pisses it down in buckets.

Last edited:

Bulgroz

I get that this "everybody wants to live in Barcelona" argument is kinda bs. But one of your points to justify how Utd would be an obvious choice for Haaland was "he already speaks English!". Do you think it's much better than "the weather is nicer in Spain"?

Proper

Banned
I get that this "everybody wants to live in Barcelona" argument is kinda bs. But one of your points to justify how Utd would be an obvious choice for Haaland was "he already speaks English!". Do you think it's much better than "the weather is nicer in Spain"?

My point about "speaking fluent English" was more about his birth certificate and his 'possible' connection to England.

But my point still stands with Scandinavian countries, take Ole for example, regards United as the best club world, no dreams for playing for Madrid or Barcelona as a player or as manager.

That's because many Scandinavian counties watch English football more so than even their own leagues (I can give a few examples of Swedish/Norwegian/Danish players who have said this), I've never been to any Scandinavian country but I've read PL news is on the back of their papers more so than their own league, Ole becoming United manager made front and back pages and was main news on televised news at the time. Whilst I can't speak for Haaland (don't know the guy) you get the impression, him being born in Leeds, his father an ex-Premier League footballer, he will have grown up watching the Premier League and feel more of a connection/draw to the Premier League more so than La Liga or any other high profile league.

That's not saying he doesn't want to play in Spain, it's clear he's not afraid to travel or test himself by going to Dortmund, but that is obviously a stepping stone and you get the feeling playing in England is going to be on Haaland's CV some point in his career and it won't be when he's washed up.

Last edited:

ebc_99

Twice you've posted this and honestly I have no clue what you are talking about, so why several people liked you post I don't know, it sounds like your reading from a brochure or telling everyone your dream?

I was answering a different person, but this is the second time you have said this to me, think of something funnier next time.

Romance and stadium, what the hell does that mean? When fans sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' at a big match at Anfield, nothing can beat the romance/buzz/emotion/atmosphere off that and I'm not even a Liverpool fan and wasn't Liverpool (as a City) voted Europe's capital of culture a few years back? London (UK's capital) is the financial capital of the world and due to the UK's influence in the world in entertainment, players can earn way more money outside football (image rights etc) than they do in Spain, hence why English players rarely travel.

With Barca it is the history of the club and Catalonia itself and Barcelona's part in that, it is the style of the football, the players who have played there. As for the Stadium, Camp Nou is the greatest stadium and most iconic in football. Barca is a club made up of members, Liverpool is a franchise owned by Billionaire Americans who don't give a shit about the sport and City's owners are even worse than that. Both Manchester and Liverpool are nice cities but they don't compare favourably to Barcelona. Messi and Ronaldo earned plenty in Spain, I think it is down to the individual rather than the country with regards to image rights and the like.

Also do you want me, a guy who's been to Barcelona (not sure if you have) to tell you the reality of your dream and brochure? Barcelona's tap water tastes like your grandad's underpants and television is widely renowned to be rubbish. As for Madrid, whilst tap water tastes slightly better than Barcelona's, it still tastes like shit, bullfighting is a popular source of entertainment, if they arn't doing that they are chasing one down the street and matadors (bull murders) are rock stars over there, Spanish press are the worst in the world and whilst actually playing for Madrid your own fans will start booing you if you miss too many shots or they'll get their boogied handkerchiefs out.

OK dude, if you can't make your point without slagging off Spain then don't bother, I didn't slag off the UK. I have been to Barcelona and I loved it, tap water was fine for me btw and I didn't say Liverpool or Manchester are shit places, just that Spain has a better lifestyle and it does.

Bullfighting is banned in Barcelona. I'm not taking about Madrid.

Also since when have Barcelona/Real Madrid been the dream for a Scandinavian? :thinking: These guys are from cold climates, they don?t care about the sun. Traditionally, Spain is the dream for Latin counties, Spain/Portugal/South America, La Liga can have their choice of the best talent from these places more times than not.

Dutch/French/German/English/Italian/Scandinavian/Italian, Spain is not the dream, maybe for some, but not all. Hence why many German legends are not Barcelona/Real Madrid legends, hence why many Italian legends are not Real Madrid or Barcelona legends (and list goes on).

I didn't say it was his dream, but rather that Barca have a shot at bringing him to the club which is true. Most people care about the sun, who doesn't want a sunny day? Italy has a similar lifestyle to Spain and most players from big countries tend to stay at home whether they are Spanish, English, Italian or German they usually play domestically.

I'm saying that, but once again Haaland was born in England, could have played for England and speaks fluent English, you don't think this gives an advantage to a Premier League club?

Also why English weather gets pulled down I don't know, UK climate is perfect, hot but not too hot in the summer and cold but not too cold in the winter, whilst Spain is a mild climate, during the winter when it rains it absolutely pisses it down in buckets.

Maybe it does, maybe not, we will see. But it doesn't change my point that Barca have a lot to offer any player whilst some here think we have no chance, but I think with money being equal Barca have more of a pull than any other club outside of Real Madrid.

UK climate is not perfect, I live here, it is shit most of the year. Doesn't compare to Spain in the slightest.

Last edited:

Proper

Banned
But this is the second time you have said this to me, think of something funnier next time.

I don't know you or remember your username, i just reply to shit when i see it, If i've said this to you twice, maybe something is in what I've said and maybe every time you type, you always type like your typing from brochure in each post? I mean you've just done it again, in your very next point (see below).

With Barca it is the history of the club and Catalonia itself and Barcelona's part in that, it is the style of the football, the players who have played there. As for the Stadium, Camp Nou is the greatest stadium and most iconic in football. Barca is a club made up of members, Both Manchester and Liverpool are nice cities but they don't compare favourably to Barcelona.

:facepalm:

Who are you trying to convice? 95% of people who post on here are Barcelona fans, are you trying to sell Barcelona (the club)/Barcelona (the city) and the Spanish league to them?

Last edited:

Morten

As for Manchester vs Barcelona, Barcelona is obviously a more attractive city, but i mean, there has been no shortage of star players at both Manchester clubs over the last decade, rarely heard any complaints.

Getting payed well, and getting minutes on the pitch is what matters the most for the professionals, not the city.

The Observer

9 out of 10 times it's money that talks. Barca during its prime failed to get Thiago Silva and Marquinhos and lost Neymar to a club that was founded in 1970.

Barca has no money and no other pull factor right now. No coach that you would love to play under, no star teammates that you would love to play with, 4 seasons in a row of meme performances in the CL and the league itself is weak. 5th place Premier League team can come and beat firm La Liga leaders on their home turf. 2nd place Premier League team can 4-0 5th place La Liga team away from home.

"But history ..." and "you would love to get Barca back alongside Pedri and Fati" is about as wishful thinking as it gets. If anything Barca needs to be careful that a talent like Fati does not want out soon when things keep continuing as they do.

xxxxxx

What we do know is that

• Barca are 1,173bn in debt, including transfer related fees with 730m of that sum due in the short term while 266m is owed to the banks by 30 June.
  • We have a pandemic, revenue was already lower than costs for a long time, but it's particularly bad now.
  • Messi alone earns 139m a season including bonuses and an image rights contract.
  • Take Messi out and Barca is still the highest payer in wages in Europe.
  • Players accepted voluntary wage reductions, still apparently the club was unable to pay squad wages for December and January.

So without acting like some sort of financial expert I cannot imagine how in the right mind Barca could liquify >100m of anything right now. Even if that works, it will likely just be through more debt and in one year we will read about Barca now being at 1,4bn in the red. Just delaying and further worsening the problem. Next season you would again have the same problems, but the number would be even higher.

I cannot really grasp why people just chose to ignore it and speculate about Haaland, like that is even a priority. To me this all sounds like a very dramatic situation.

Spot on.

That's what some people are not realizing. Also, we have to pay Messi a 33m loyalty bonus in the summer. If we were to resign him, we would have to pay him a big signing-on fee..... unless he waives both the loyalty bonus and the signing-on fee, which I doubt see him doing. If Messi stays next season, we probably had to give him 50m to 60m to do it (including his loyalty and signing-on fee).

Last edited:

xxxxxx

The club was said to be headed toward bankruptcy when Rosell took over, too. After giving away a couple of players, suddenly there was a lot of money to spend.
I think Haaland is the type of player where the alternative cost of not buying might show to be larger than the transfer fee. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come.

We really cannot sell anyone of real value. No teams will be looking to sign the likes of Dembele, Griezmann or Coutinho. They'd cost too much and they'll be on big wages.

We're also in much worse shape than we were under Rosell.

Haaland will not come to a club that's going through a big transition when he can simply sign with a club that's already competitive. We don't have that type of pull at the moment.

xxxxxx

But if you could buy an asset would catapult your performance and maybe become the new face why not. Not to mention we're going to take a hit once Messi leaves, so why not control a bit of damage by signing Haaland who could definitely become marketable post Messi. Also in order to get good sponsorship deals you need to perform on field.

Its not like we're going to keep signing Haalands year after year. Our team is half good already, other than Haaland we just need a decent CB, a CDM and maybe a left back. Plus, Alaba can fill all those 3 for free. We'll bring back Emerson, maybe Todibo too. Emerson will cost 6M, Todibo will be free. Emerson has potential to be a starter, whike Todibo despite all the bad news can still come good.

We cannot afford to have Alaba and Haaland in the same squad when we have Messi, Griezmann, Coutinho and Dembele on the team. Haaland and Alaba's salary alone will put us close to bankruptcy if we have Dembele, Griezmann, Messi and Coutinho. We would need to offload 3 big earners in our team to get Alaba and Haaland in. Alaba may be free, but he's still going to want 250k to 300k a week, and he'd still want a big signing-on fee. Then Haaland will probably want 250k to 300k a week with a massive signing-on fee. Even if we offload those 3 big earners, we still couldn't get Alaba and Haaland.

I just don't see teams signing players like Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann.... simply because they're on big wages and they have a history of injuries (Coutinho and Dembele). Besides, they haven't been in the best form to warrant the type of money they'd want. They'll probably want to stay so they can keep their big salary.

Bobo32

We really cannot sell anyone of real value. No teams will be looking to sign the likes of Dembele, Griezmann or Coutinho. They'd cost too much and they'll be on big wages.

We're also in much worse shape than we were under Rosell.
Yes, much because of the decisions of Rosell, and then Bartomeu. But Rosell et al could convince everyone that the club was going bankrupt, sale out Zlatan and Chygrynsky to put blame on Laporta, and then go back to business as usual right after (or rather, spend a lot more than before).
I don't want to go to deep into economy, as I don't know much about it, and lack insight into the club, but it's no surprise to me that the club is said to be in an economic crisis just before the election...
Haaland will not come to a club that's going through a big transition when he can simply sign with a club that's already competitive. We don't have that type of pull at the moment.
Stranger things have happened. If the new president makes a couple of key decisions, convinces Messi to stay, gets a positive end to the season, I think a young player could be convinced to join FC Barcelona.

Home of Barca Fans