Sergio Aguero

Fati_Future_BallonDor

NO to Aguero. Aguero isnt the same like in his prime years anymore and we know every player who comes to barca loses 50% of their abilities. Would be a Braithwhite 2.0.

Joan

I hope not as it'll be for free (not counting bonuses) and improvement on Braithwaite while also delaying their need to sign a starting CF, which will just create another competitor for better younger players further down the line. Wages if transfer approved shouldn't be a factor under new board in the middle of the pandemic. It'd basically be a win if they get Aguero, even better if on ~2 year deal that can be renegotiated.
All this Barca really needs is a consistent finisher to be top of the league. Sans Messi they'll need more but if they get Aguero to convince him to stay, they'll no doubt be in a better place than RM as Mbappe + other necessary changes not looking likely this summer.

Why would you want weak Barca? Primera needs big names to compete with the PL and stay relevant and attractive. Strong Real in the weak league with no competition.. wouldn't that bore you?

Not sure Aguero is the one, though. But should see options and if no better opportunity arises in the summer (Haaland is what I mean), Kun might help keep Messi. Which may be the best option to maintain the level.

Joan

As we can see when he's not on the pitch, right? We can and should move on from Messi, but right now he's the best we've got.

El Gato

Villarato!
He made a mistake coming to Shitty. Could have had few CL titles had he chosen more wisely.

Yeah, only became one of the best strikers the league has ever seen. Sheesh man

Why would you want weak Barca? Primera needs big names to compete with the PL and stay relevant and attractive. Strong Real in the weak league with no competition.. wouldn't that bore you?

Not sure Aguero is the one, though. But should see options and if no better opportunity arises in the summer (Haaland is what I mean), Kun might help keep Messi. Which may be the best option to maintain the level.

I don't want a weak Barca, for sure. What precisely do you think there is about that deal that would make Barca weak? As in if you sign Aguero, you'll not buy a younger striker and therefore continue to be weak or get weaker if Messi decides to go (is he off on a free as per transfermarkt? or is it 2022 his deal expires)? I mean, you won't buy anyone substantial this summer anyway by the sounds of the coffers, unless it's made clear to Coutinho/Griezmann that they absolutely must go and they agree to it. If money can be raised, it makes some sense to not resort to Agueroyes. But if it can't, then it seems a decent immediate fix and might just help you convince Messi to remain and stave off the knock-on effects of the pandemic on results in 21/22. Might even go as far as push you into comfortable league winning position considering this team really does just need a more regular CF. It's a stop gap and somewhat of a step-back to Suarez era, but it makes some sense if terms can be flexible in the long-term and Aguero isn't a financial burden like Suarez was.

Joan

Yeah, only became one of the best strikers the league has ever seen. Sheesh man

I don't want a weak Barca, for sure. What precisely do you think there is about that deal that would make Barca weak? As in if you sign Aguero, you'll not buy a younger striker and therefore continue to be weak or get weaker if Messi decides to go (is he off on a free as per transfermarkt? or is it 2022 his deal expires)? I mean, you won't buy anyone substantial this summer anyway by the sounds of the coffers, unless it's made clear to Coutinho/Griezmann that they absolutely must go and they agree to it. If money can be raised, it makes some sense to not resort to Agueroyes. But if it can't, then it seems a decent immediate fix and might just help you convince Messi to remain and stave off the knock-on effects of the pandemic on results in 21/22. Might even go as far as push you into comfortable league winning position considering this team really does just need a more regular CF. It's a stop gap and somewhat of a step-back to Suarez era, but it makes some sense if terms can be flexible in the long-term and Aguero isn't a financial burden like Suarez was.

Don't think this deal would make Barca weak. Agree with your view and it's basically what I wrote in the previous post. We'll have two paths in the summer. Either go for the rebuild which would include letting go of Messi and signing a rising star (who'd also need to be a poster boy) or delay it for summer 2022. Depends on the financial situation and Messi's will. Worst case scenario is Messi decides to go but Barca still can't afford anyone significant.

Messi is free to go in the summer.

Thought you said you hoped Barca wouldn't sign him.

El Gato

Villarato!
^
Ah, well, I don't want you to sign him, that much I do think. But that's the selfish part of me. Because it's better for Barca and would likely mean I'm in for another season of Real sucking donkey dick while being unable to make improvements considering the only coach who'd change things is now off the table for one-and-a-half a year

Joan

^
Ah, well, I don't want you to sign him, that much I do think. But that's the selfish part of me. Because it's better for Barca and would likely mean I'm in for another season of Real sucking donkey dick while being unable to make improvements considering the only coach who'd change things is now off the table for one-and-a-half a year

Hah, must've read a tad too much into it. :lol: Anyways Madrid will take another year to get there, but seems like there's a plan set. An outlook of things to come. Pochettino and Mbappe in a year and a half. Would be better if Zidane tested the youngsters and made picks for the future, but it's what it is. Football is erratic and plans fail, though.

Barca still ought to find its way forward coming from a hard financial and sporting situation. But that's on the new board. Aguero signing seems a fine way to buy time as of now.

khaled_a_d

He made a mistake coming to Shitty. Could have had few CL titles had he chosen more wisely.

He moved from Atletico in 2011.
Only Barca, RM,Bayern,Chelsea & Liverpool won CL since then, only RM and Bayern had more than one.
Barca had no use of him with oeak Messi playing false 9, Atletico was never going to sell to RM, Bayern and Liverpool couldn't afford him back then and Chelsea had just signed Torres for hefty sum.
His time in Atletico also came to an end after five years, and it isn't like he could guess that Sime9ne will come and turn them into powerhouse

I think when you consider this factors, and how ge will be remembered as City legend, it wasn't such bad move

Saladin

LooooL. A 33y old Aguero? Is Barto coming back? Fuck off... :lol:

33 year old Aguero > 30 year old Griezmann any day of the week. He would be free ('yeah, but he will be on fucking huge wages, moron' - Sigh. This is Barca, every fucking player is automatically on wages that are 15-20 percent above market value, but with our current situation we actually have some 'leverage' in negotiating normal terms for once)

Aguero has been injured from time to time, true; unlike Coutinho, right? And we all knew he was the 'perfect' Iniesta replacement at 150-160 million euros. And yes, this is a slightly unfair comparison (apples and oranges-like situation) but still my point stands. Let's look at the pros/cons:

PROS

- Aguero would demand a pretty high wage, but not even close to that of Griezmann or even what we paid Suarez, mainly due to his age and the economical situation of the club.
- He is a prolific goalscorer (someone said Braithwaite 2.0?! Wow, the insanity on this forum knows no boundaries. I'm Danish and I know Braithwaite pretty well as a player and on a good day Braithwaite could not be Aguero's waterboy; sorry to say. I like Martin's attitude and mental drive and he is a very respectable guy, but footballing wise Aguero is world class whilst the Dane is average at best).
- He already speaks the language and knows the league pretty well.
- He has been coached by Pep for some years time and has established himself in probably the most competitive league in the world.
- He is tight with Leo and yes, that does matter; age is fucking NOTHING - Messi still has at least 2 seasons in him on the highest level and we would be absolute fools to throw that away due to imbeciles claiming he is more of a problem than a solution to our current problems. Messi is by far the best player we have - even now. Just last week he was on a different level to any other player in Europe, killing off Granada and Bilbao within the same week. Just look at the role he is playing in integrating the likes of Pedri and Ansu. Dest signed for Barca mainly due to Leo and he is so good he completely shattered the confidence of world class players such as Coutinho and Griezmann who could never measure up to his brilliance.
- He is a Barca-type player. Good in combinating with other players, good in tight spaces, great technique, great dribbler and a world class finisher.

He can be for our current team what current assistant coach Henrik Larsson was in the early 00's. A great goal-threat who can come in off the bench or even start when fully fit. He would not expect to be a starter throughout the season and would therefore not take precious minutes away from the likes of Dembouz, Ansu or a new #9.

CONS

- His injuries; he recently had issues with his meniscus and recurring injuries are a nuisance and should be looked into. If he can give us 25/30+ games a season, with his goal/assist ratio that would be a huge contribution, but if he is injured for more than half a season, that would be an issue.
- Declining form; again - age is not the issue, look at Zlatan, Ronaldo, Lewandowski. It depends on the stature and physical condition of the players in question. Some players are done at 27-28 (endless list of Brazilians, for instance) and some players can go on well into their mid/late 30s. It also depends on their playing style, tactical awareness, technique, footballing intelligence etc. Aguero is NOT the 'el Kun' of City in his golden years or anywhere near his Atletico beast mode; but he could still be a valuable asset, especially for free.
- Aguero's NT chemistry with Leo. Many of us have often wondered how a team of Argentina's offensive talent couldn't muster a better threat upfront at different international competitions. They lost the WC final despite having perhaps the strongest attacking lineup (on paper) in the world. They made their way through by exhibiting a strong defensive setup led by a strong Javier Mascherano and a tight strategic approach of Catenaccio-inspired tactics. Their only true offensive power came from Leo and Di Maria in that tournament (Higuain was ghastly, Aguero was injured against Switzerland in the round of 16 and was on the bench with Di Maria for the final) - The point is, Aguero has not been as efficient and ferocious on the NT alongside his homie and roomie Leo as one could have hoped for.

I would say there are both pro's and cons for this transfer, but it depends on the perspective. Is 'el Kun' a new Suarez, Villa or Eto'o signing for us? A new '#9' for the future? Fuck no. Will he be a valuable edition for the right wage agreement and at a free transfer? Depends; if he is to stay somewhat free of major injuries and can offer somewhat similar stats to those he has shown at City in 2019/2020 then abso-fucking-lutely. That would be an instant no-brainer. That's my two cents, at least.

The guy has over 400 career goals and this is his contribution as a 'declining' footballer in the 19/20 season. Enjoy
:

Home of Barca Fans