Tennis

Richard.H

Will be rooting for Nadal. I enjoyed Kyrgios until his match against Tsitsipas. Went full clown-mode and turned it into a circus. Too much abuse from him directed at umpire and opponent as well but never gets warning. He is way too good to resort to those antics. Seems like he is kind of forcing becoming the bad boy of tennis which in turn makes you not being one.

Nah Kyrgios is entertaining. The most entertaining final will be Kyrgios vs Djokovic. Both are absolute mental beasts and won't get rattled easily.

gregorrin10

Nah Kyrgios is entertaining. The most entertaining final will be Kyrgios vs Djokovic. Both are absolute mental beasts and won't get rattled easily.

Kyrgios a mental beast? :lol: Dude gets pissed off at everybody almost every match. That said, I will root for him against both Nadal and possibly Djokovic. Cause he's entertaining as hell and can be unbeatable when he wants to be (on his own serve especially), and because I'm a Federer guy.

Horatio

You're welcome
I am almost certain you guys are talking about drop shots, the shots close to net to make Fritz come in. A lob is hitting it over your opponents body when they are close to net.

O snap it was drop shot of course. I am kind of new still but should have known that.

Zidane82

Kyrgios a mental beast? :lol: Dude gets pissed off at everybody almost every match. That said, I will root for him against both Nadal and possibly Djokovic. Cause he's entertaining as hell and can be unbeatable when he wants to be (on his own serve especially), and because I'm a Federer guy.

Exactly .. I love Federer above all other and detest Djokovic so I?d rather anyone wins above Djokovic

serghei

Meh... geriatric Nadal and Djoko should be consistently sent home by now in these tournaments, but generation iPhone is just the worst.

KingLeo10

Yeah, at this point, Federer having it easy from 2003-2007 (until Nadal hit his prime in 08) is offset by Nadal and Djokovic dunking on these next gen at 35/36 while not even physically fit.

I honestly don't see anyone stopping Nadal/Djokovic in slams in the next 2 years. Another 2-3 for Nadal and another 3-4 for Djokovic.

Richard.H

Yeah, at this point, Federer having it easy from 2003-2007 (until Nadal hit his prime in 08) is offset by Nadal and Djokovic dunking on these next gen at 35/36 while not even physically fit.

I honestly don't see anyone stopping Nadal/Djokovic in slams in the next 2 years. Another 2-3 for Nadal and another 3-4 for Djokovic.

Alcaraz was slated to be the next big star but even he shit the bed. It's actually incredible to see so many of these young players crumble under pressure. Look at players like Zverev and Tsitsipas, great fundamental players but cannot handle any sort of mental pressure. Medvedev also good but doesn't have that x factor.

I would argue Fed's competition in 2002-2007 had a lot more players with big balls and not afraid to take risks.

serghei

Alcaraz was slated to be the next big star but even he shit the bed. It's actually incredible to see so many of these young players crumble under pressure. Look at players like Zverev and Tsitsipas, great fundamental players but cannot handle any sort of mental pressure. Medvedev also good but doesn't have that x factor.

I would argue Fed's competition in 2002-2007 had a lot more players with big balls and not afraid to take risks.

Current era is worse than the early to mid 00s Federer faced. Safin would beat the shit out of these softies. Roddick too most likely. Young Rafa himself was a beast on clay.

Like you say there is a mental problem in all of these players. These guys would lose to Nadal or Djokovic from 2-0 in sets and 5-1 in the 3rd.

Not to mention that I miss Murray from early to mid 2010s. The guy actually beat all of the big 3 in big tournaments. There was actuallly a big 4 at the time. Even Wawrinka was different level of beast. Del Potro too, shame about his injuries. Guy actually took out prime Nadal and Federer back to back. Nadal won something like 6 games in the USO semis. Those were Nadal and Federer in their 20s not these guys who have borderline arthritis in their knees.

Last edited:

gregorrin10

Federer still goat for me tho

I second that. I just don't think there's gonna be a player so complete, and yet so elegant and aesthetically pleasing to look at on the court as Federer was, at least not in our lifetimes. When you watched him at his best, making every shot look effortless, tennis never looked more easy.

Sure Nadal and Djokovic are physical, but even more so mental beasts, which is why they will end up with more Grand slam titles, but watching them 'endlessly hitting it from the baseline, and relying on power alone with little to no finesse, basically trying to wear their opponents down', just doesn't do it for me. Watching either one of them will never give me the pure feeling of joy in watching a pure master of his craft at work. And sadly the new gen players are more in this mould as well, minus the mental strength, and that's why Nadal and Djokovic keep winning even now. We thought the likes of Thiem, Zverev, Tsitsipas will be the next gen, who finally displaces the big three, but they're not even close, never have been. Maybe the next next gen will finally be it. Sinner and Alcaraz (I prefer Sinner out of the two) looking like the best bet on finally being good and consistent enough to really make it to the top and stay there.

The player I see the most Federer style in, is Dimitrov, but of course he's criminally too inconsistent to ever really win anything. But tennis is just never gonna be the same again, after players like Federer, Wawrinka, Del Potro (best forehand in the biz), even Gasquet (best backhand in the biz) all call it a day. Sadly Del Potro already did, of course. And won't be long before Federer and Wawrinka do too (more or less already did, considering they spend more time injured than playing these days, and most likely will never get close to winning another Grand slam again).

KingLeo10

Federer is like Messi. Once you've seen prime Federer and prime Messi pulling stuff that shouldn't be possible without pushing themselves 100%, it's hard to rate another player above.

Generally I rate peak play/talent over career accomplishments and mental strength/grit which is why it's weird for me that I like Nadal the most out of the trio. But I guess part of that is because Federer was so dominant when I began watching tennis that I rooted for Nadal to break his monopoly.

KingLeo10

Always a mystery to me what the hell happened to Federer's forehand from 2008 onwards. That used to be the most vicious shot I'd ever seen (along with the Sampras serve) in both power and precision. Fast forwards to 2011-2017 when he wasn't ancient ancient, his forehands were tame and loopy.

Home of Barca Fans