Tennis

Judoman

For me this argument doesn't work at all.

Nadal's playing style is what made him so injury prone. But without that playing style Rafa wouldn't get to the top in the first place.

The brutal playing style got him the slams and the injuries. He knew no other way to play and win slams.

Another thing is his success against Djokovic on non GR grand slams. How many GS finals did he win against Djokovic on hard courts? Not many i would assume.

serghei

Another thing is his success against Djokovic on non GR grand slams. How many GS finals did he win against Djokovic on hard courts? Not many i would assume.

It's common knowledge that Nadal dominated everyone on clay and off clay he's the weakest of the 3 by a good distance. His career is heavily built on winning the Roland Garros almost every year. Undisputed King of Clay and his record on that tournament will last for many decades if not more, but Federer and Djokovic are far more complete players.

Last edited:

Judoman

It's common knowledge that Nadal dominated everyone on clay and off clay he's the weakest of the 3 by a good distance. His career is heavily built on winning the Roland Garros almost every year. Undisputed King of Clay and his record on that tournament will last for many decades if not more, but Federer and Djokovic are far more complete players.

That was sort of my point since someone said that Nadal missed 11 slams due to injuries and would have won more otherwise. I don't think he would, depends on how many RG he missed. Djokovic would
for sure won more in covid years and Nadal would not have won Australian open last year.

serghei

That was sort of my point since someone said that Nadal missed 11 slams due to injuries and would have won more otherwise. I don't think he would, depends on how many RG he missed. Djokovic would
for sure won more in covid years and Nadal would not have won Australian open last year.

US Open is Nadal's best bet outside of RG since it's slower than AO. At AO and Wimbledon Nadal doesn't stand much chance in normal circumstances. He's a tremendous fighter and occasionally he can make it close, but it's obvious he's not as good as Djokovic.

I'm actually surprised Nadal lost to Djokovic twice at RG in 3 and 4 sets and hasn't yet beat Djokovic at AO, and will probably never do it.

I think it's hard to look past Djokovic atm no matter how much I like Federer's style of play. Nadal is clearly out of it and always was, never saw him as more than clay GOAT. In almost 18 years of a career he never once managed to defend a title off clay.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans