Tennis

El Gato

Villarato!
Hahah, oh Andy. From 2-1 after breaking Youzhny he loses four straight games.

3/4 Polish players into a quarterfinal of Wimbledon. What a success.

Last edited:

Ghost

If it wasn't for that goddamn injury, Azarenka would've been the favourite by far to win it. :(

Tournament lacks any player that could beat her now that Serena is out. I hope Aga wins it. Unlikely yes, but one can hope.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Kvitova is my favourite women's player (as well as Azarenka) so I am rooting for Kvitova to regain her title back!!

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Berdych and Delpo/Ferrer in the quarters and semis for Djokovic. Hopefully that takes a lot out of him before hopefully facing Murray in the final :D

Verdasco and most probably Janowicz next for Murray. Verdasco is a leftie and Murray will probably take time to settle against that and may lose a set, but I think he'll win in 4.

I can see Janowicz causing a lot of problems for Murray though.

El Gato

Villarato!
As much as I like his success, he tends to bottle the first set, gets very emotional and feeds off of his serve a lot. He'll find Murray very tough, because he gets to a lot more balls than others. Understandably so. Plus it's not to be said he'll beat Kubot who plays a slightly tricky game, but is limited physically. And also he played mental pussies in Almagro and Melzer. Almagro was rubbish on grass and didn't fight back whatsoever whereas Melzer was handed two chances to take control of the game and fucked up.

Verdasco should be a walk in the park unless the hip/hamstring injury Murray picked up today will hamper him a little.

hellsangel1

To put it into perspective, this defeat of Federer is the equivalent of Rafa getting knocked out of French Open in the second/third round to a lowly ranked player.

You do realize that at age 31 even the great 7 time Wimbledon champion Sampras lost to a lucky loser in the Second Round at Wimbledon. And the fact of the matter is that the game is much, much more physical now than it has ever been. It's much harder to perform at a high level when you're in your 30's, even back when the game wasn't as phsyical. When any of the top players in today's game win a slam after turning 30 you can come in here and post.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

And anyways, Federer's days at the top are done.

Nadal, I felt could be upset in the opening rounds at Wimbledon because he hadn't played a warm-up event at grass going into the tournament and he is not somebody who is a great starter at Grand Slams. He even lost a couple of sets in the opening two rounds at the French Open so I knew that the first couple of rounds could be tricky for him. Nadal was up a break I think in the second set against Darcis as well which I thought he could've won. The thing is that the surface is actually quicker in the opening rounds at Wimbledon because there is less wear and tear on the grass which makes the ball shoot through the surface more. After the sun beats down and the surface becomes harder, the surface actually slows down just a little and the ball bounces more. Nadal himself has said that he likes playing in the second week at Wimbledon because that is when he thinks the conditions suit his game more. Anyways, I didn't notice anything wrong with his movement in the first two sets, I thought Nadal found it difficult to find his rhythm, I only noticed something wrong with his movement in the third set which is surprising because Nadal has never complained about playing on grass. He always seems enthusiastic when the grass court season comes so I think maybe winning the French exerted more out of him than what we thought. The only surface Nadal has complained about are the hard-courts.....

Anyways, Nadal still has a couple more years in which he can compete and win Grand Slams. I think after that as he gets closer to 30, the chances of any tennis player to win the big tournaments reduce significantly (with a few rare exceptions). The only one I would worry about if I were Nadal would be Djokovic because he has less wear and tear on his body. Murray will be a tough match-up outside of Clay but I still think Nadal can overcome him if he's in decent shape physically.

Banana-Rama

tomic v berdych was so boring, two players standing on the baseline wacking the ball as hard as possible for an entire match, no variety whatsoever, i hope this is not a sign of things to come from the next generation. tennis players seem to be getting bigger and bigger, it is land of the giants now, these huge players just rely on serving big and wacking the ball really hard, it doesn't make for very entertaining tennis. we should try to appreciate this murray, federer, djokovic, nadal era while it lasts as i don't really see any young players at there level coming through at the moment, i heard good things about tomic but having watched him the other day he's just another big baseline hitter, so boring to watch...

Last edited:

Ghost

When any of the top players in today's game win a slam after turning 30 you can come in here and post.

That's what I always say to Nadal/Djokovic fanboys.

Anyway..
Glad to see Radwanska reach the SF. I hope she wins it. It will be tough, yes, but if she managed to beat Lisicki she will most likely take it.

Home of Barca Fans