Tennis

Mateka

What now?

If the case does go to court, the 20-time grand slam winner’s legal team hope the matter could be heard in court over the weekend and finalised by Sunday, allowing him to play a match early next week if he beats the government for a second time.

The case would go back to Federal Circuit Court Judge Anthony Kelly (who overturned the cancellation the first time) for a hearing, but he then may refer it to the Federal Court. Sources earlier in the week confirmed there was a justice on standby to hear the case.
SMH

serghei

Hardly seen a more hilarious (sort of, some of it is worrying as hell) scandal where every single party involved looks like a caricature.

- Djokovic: manipulative schemer, trying to exploit loopholes and hiding behind dubious paperwork. But still, I sympathize with him, as I'm against vaccine mandates as well. He's trying to find ways to play the AO without a vaccine, which he should be able to do anyway if he's not infected with covid. Should be easy enough to find ways to make it work, they just don't want to. It's a "suicide" mission in terms of his career though, as individual vs government is a 99.9% losing battle in terms of available measures and weapons to fight with. The state is almost always gonna win.

- Australian Government: triple jackpot, not only are they a bit dumb but also incompetent and inconsistent in their dumbness and with authoritarian tendencies.

- Australian people who are just frustrated, and can't make a distinction between their case as normal citizens living in a country under a Government they themselves chose through a democratic vote, and Djokovic who is a Serbian and only cares to enter Australia because he happens to be a Pro athlete wanting to participate in a top tier professional tennis tournament which is held, unfortunately, and completely out of Djokovic's control, in Australia.

- ATP & tennis in general: absolute morons for allowing the Australian Government to make a political mess and a mockery out of what is supposed to be a fair competition. Mandatory vaccination is not, as far as I'm aware, a condition for being able to perform your profession as a tennis professional player. They should take a stance and separate politics from tennis but are too chickenshit to deal with the political implications if they raise their voice. You can support vaccines and still think a healthy player should be able to play tennis if he's not vaccinated. There's a line there and a way for everybody to be safe and respected at the same time, but it's being stomped on.

- Media: laughable and biased conduct and news reporting. But that's not news, media are corporations themselves these days, not much different than Pfizer, Chevron, McDonald's, or whatever. They're all in it for money, seeking for mass support and approval, and scared of saying anything "offensive", or "controversial".

Last edited:

Laplacian

Hardly seen a more hilarious (sort of, some of it is worrying as hell) scandal where every single party involved looks like a caricature.

- Djokovic: manipulative schemer, trying to exploit loopholes and hiding behind dubious paperwork. But still, I sympathize with him, as I'm against vaccine mandates as well. He's trying to find ways to play the AO without a vaccine, which he should be able to do anyway if he's not infected with covid. Should be easy enough to find ways to make it work, they just don't want to. It's a "suicide" mission in terms of his career though, as individual vs government is a 99.9% losing battle in terms of available measures and weapons to fight with. The state is almost always gonna win.

- Australian Government: triple jackpot, not only are they a bit dumb but also incompetent and inconsistent in their dumbness and with authoritarian tendencies.

- Australian people who are just frustrated, and can't make a distinction between their case as normal citizens living in a country under a Government they themselves chose through a democratic vote, and Djokovic who is a Serbian and only cares to enter Australia because he happens to be a Pro athlete wanting to participate in a top tier professional tennis tournament which is held, unfortunately, and completely out of Djokovic's control, in Australia.

- ATP & tennis in general: absolute morons for allowing the Australian Government to make a political mess and a mockery out of what is supposed to be a fair competition. Mandatory vaccination is not, as far as I'm aware, a condition for being able to perform your profession as a tennis professional player. They should take a stance and separate politics from tennis but are too chickenshit to deal with the political implications if they raise their voice. You can support vaccines and still think a healthy player should be able to play tennis if he's not vaccinated. There's a line there and a way for everybody to be safe and respected at the same time, but it's being stomped on.

- Media: laughable and biased conduct and news reporting. But that's not news, media are corporations themselves these days, not much different than Pfizer, Chevron, McDonald's, or whatever. They're all in it for money, seeking for mass support and approval, and scared of saying anything "offensive", or "controversial".

I'm not sure why you sympathize with Djokovic, he has the right not to vaccinate himself, that was never the argument. Australia has rules regarding entry into their borders, as all countries do. Djokovic thought he could circumvent these rules due to his status and reason for visiting.

This isn't the first time vaccine mandates have been used in travel and immigration. If you went to certain places in the world with diseases such as ebola or yellow fever you are mandated to show proof of vaccination. I'm pretty sure that's what the United States and quite a few countries in the developed world do.

Australia simply wants to control the spread of the worst pandemic in 100 years. If Djokovic isn't okay with that, he can just...not visit Australia? Multimillionaires playing in tournaments isn't a necessity. Lol

I'm not sure why you feel sympathetic.

Also lol@atp should get mad. How about they should follow the rules of the countries their tournaments are operated in?

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Lmfao

They can't overrule the courts like that

What kind of sick country is that? What's the point in having courts
You missed the memo. We're not living in lawful democratic states anymore. The charade has been exposed for quite some time. As soon as people start to realize they're being duped, courts, elections and other fancy stuff that makes pleb believe in their own agency, get truncated and canceled.

Home of Barca Fans