Basketball/NBA

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Actually I think they might end with the best draft ,Grant is gr8 talent and could help immediately .
Porzingis is project but he has serious potential ,measured 7'1.25 w/o shoes so basically we are talking about 7'3 PF .7'6 wingspan .huge talent and already proven basketballer in one of best leagues outside NBA

I agree with you and think Porzingis could become a really good player. I am just saying that the Knicks fans probably hated last draft night.

khaled_a_d

I agree with you and think Porzingis could become a really good player. I am just saying that the Knicks fans probably hated last draft night.

I don't remember the last time they have actually liked it .I've been following the draft since 2009 and it seems every year they had whoever they draft

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Never heard of that and does not make sense imo. Cousins is a center and nothing else.

I remember reading it on Twitter from a local Sacramento journalist. Oh well, he's got the perfect partner now that Kings could get in the draft. Now all they need is a decent coach who doesn't try to alienate their own franchise player.

As I wrote earlier, the Lakers drafted D'Angelo Russell as the 2nd pick. From the highlights I've seen, he's been very impressive. Great court vision, handles, passer, shooter and basketball IQ. His finishing at the rim needs some work though, as he only tends to finish with his left hand. It's not really a problem, since Kobe and Nash will be there to tutor him. Perhaps even Magic as well.

Lakers also drafted Larry Nance Jr. at 27th and Anthony Brown at 34th. I have never heard of either, but the former could be off to a difficult start as he called Kobe a rapist on Twitter 4 years ago, even though he's a Kobe fan. Apparently, he's a decent rebounder and does well enough in the low post. Not too bad I guess. Anthony Brown is more of the typical 3&D player, but seems to be a better scorer than a defender. We've lacked a decent one since Artest.

We have a great young core now consisting of Russell, Clarkson, Randle, 2x Brown, Davis (if he comes back), Black and Nance. All we need now is a big man, preferably Marc Gasol, but that's highly unlikely. Maybe Aldridge could be tempted, Love as well. The foundation is set for the future and we'll probably aim for superstar in the 2016 and 2017 FA.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Knicks fans are always acting like idiots, nothing new there. Though one could understand their frustration. Porzingis could pan out great, but he's a ways away. He does very little for them this coming season, and maybe very little for them too the season after that. He's a 3-4 year project and for a team who has an aging star, and is looking to attract another free agent stars this season and in 2016, this is not ideal.

If they strike out in free agency this season, they might have another bad season again and Carmelo could very easily demand to be traded.

There's also the fact they're rebuilding a project, a very specific project too with the triangle, with a Phil Jackson who might not be there for long considering his age. That's also concerning.

Egert

Estonian Culé
As a Knicks fan I want Melo to leave, he can't win shit here so he needs to go. This rebuilding is going to take so much time and I really expect another season like last one. I actually like the draft results but still could have gone better.

barcafan161

Knicks fans are always acting like idiots, nothing new there. Though one could understand their frustration. Porzingis could pan out great, but he's a ways away. He does very little for them this coming season, and maybe very little for them too the season after that. He's a 3-4 year project and for a team who has an aging star, and is looking to attract another free agent stars this season and in 2016, this is not ideal.

If they strike out in free agency this season, they might have another bad season again and Carmelo could very easily demand to be traded.

There's also the fact they're rebuilding a project, a very specific project too with the triangle, with a Phil Jackson who might not be there for long considering his age. That's also concerning.

Think Knicks fans are angry as it is yet another guy who will take years to develop. They wanted a proven guy who could play right away.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Think Knicks fans are angry as it is yet another guy who will take years to develop. They wanted a proven guy who could play right away.

There's no proven guys in the draft though, only prospects. Some are more ready than others, but they're all rookies and prospects.

Personally, if the Knicks wanted to make a run at the playoffs next season they should have drafted Justise Winslow. He's the most NBA ready player available for them at that pick. Trading Hardaway Jr. for Jerian Grant is fine, and then they could have gone for a big man in free agency and been right there in position to compete in the east.

Taking Porzingis just tells Melo and the fans they are on a longer rebuild process, not a quick one, and with Melo over 30, it's hard to fathom how he fits in this plan. I think this was part of the reason they were upset, other part is just that Knicks fans are always dissatisfied and unreasonable by nature.

barcafan161

There's no proven guys in the draft though, only prospects. Some are more ready than others, but they're all rookies and prospects.

Personally, if the Knicks wanted to make a run at the playoffs next season they should have drafted Justise Winslow. He's the most NBA ready player available for them at that pick. Trading Hardaway Jr. for Jerian Grant is fine, and then they could have gone for a big man in free agency and been right there in position to compete in the east.

Taking Porzingis just tells Melo and the fans they are on a longer rebuild process, not a quick one, and with Melo over 30, it's hard to fathom how he fits in this plan. I think this was part of the reason they were upset, other part is just that Knicks fans are always dissatisfied and unreasonable by nature.

I dunno I think all the guys in the top 3 will have some kind of impact in year 1

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I dunno I think all the guys in the top 3 will have some kind of impact in year 1

It's not guaranteed. They'll have impact because highly drafted players will likely play a lot of minutes barring injury, but take a look at top 5 picks in 2014 and 2013.

2013:

1- Anthony Bennett - Cleveland - Bust
2- Victor Oladipo - Orlando - Good
3- Otto Porter - Washington - very minor impact in year 1, below average contribution in year 2.
4- Cody Zeller - Charlotte - Low impact.
5- Alex Len - Phoenix - very minor impact in year 1, below average contribution in year 2.

2014:

1- Andrew Wiggins - Minnesota - Good
2- Jabari Parker - Milwaukee - Injured, no impact.
3- Joel Embiid - Philadelphia - Injured, no impact.
4- Aaron Gordon - Orlando - low impact.
5- Dante Exum - Utah - low impact.

That's 2 impactful/good players from the top 5 in the last 2 drafts. There's still time for many of these players to show more, it's still too early, and some were injured, but the point is draftees don't generally have big impacts in their first/second year, barring those really special ones.

Now I do think the top 3 picks in this draft could potentially be all really good NBA players, even maybe all three reach all-star caliber, but I would not be surprised if their impact is not great in their first season.

Also, big men have a tougher time adjusting, so expect both Towns and Okafor to struggle a bit early. Russell might have the best first season of the three.

khaled_a_d

Porzingis is a starter in Sevilla IIRC ,he played 50 games this season in ACB and Eurocup while being important player to the team averaging double figure in scoring ,he has 35 games from 2013/2014 and 10 games from 2012/2013
so we are talking about a guy with with 95 professional games in a league considered by many as 2nd best after only the NBA (some might argue Greek league is better) that isn't counting experience he will most probably play with Latvia in Eurobasket b4 the NBA
Honestly ,I think he is one of the most ready to contribute .
i am actually more concerned about his long term potential .he is measured 7'1.25 without shoes .player shorter than that listed 7'3 in the NBA .so a 7'3 PF is something unique .but in the league is actually getting smaller and smaller and it is more about speed now .you rarely find good PF longer than 6'11 .Dirk & Pau come to mind but they are only 7ft .will Porziņģis be able to play with NBA speed?
Anyway ,he is interesting prospect and can't wait to see him

I read b4 the draft from NBA writer that he expects Winslow to be picked much lower than mocks suggesting ,said that NBA teams don't like him at all in comparison to the media and fans and the draft night proven he was right .may be Winslow isn't as good as people thinking .he wasn't a real option at 4
Honestly I am not sure who would they should have gone for if they are so upset with Kristaps? Mudiay is a bit overrated as he isn't as athletic as most elite PGs in the NBA right now and his shot is a bit broken ,Mario is gr8 prospect and might end better but his potential look like a Future Carmelo :lol:

Last edited:

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Also, big men have a tougher time adjusting, so expect both Towns and Okafor to struggle a bit early. Russell might have the best first season of the three.

I wouldn't expect Okafor to struggle actually, at least not offensively. His post-moves are already better than most big men in this league and he's got a nice shooting touch. I expect him to get destroyed in defence though.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
[MENTION=17059]Blaugrana Bull[/MENTION]

Here's some BS for the summer
[tw]615383410299662336[/tw]

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
butler_hp.jpg

Jimmy is going to stay and earn a shitload of money.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I read b4 the draft from NBA writer that he expects Winslow to be picked much lower than mocks suggesting ,said that NBA teams don't like him at all in comparison to the media and fans and the draft night proven he was right .may be Winslow isn't as good as people thinking .he wasn't a real option at 4
Honestly I am not sure who would they should have gone for if they are so upset with Kristaps? Mudiay is a bit overrated as he isn't as athletic as most elite PGs in the NBA right now and his shot is a bit broken ,Mario is gr8 prospect and might end better but his potential look like a Future Carmelo :lol:

There' always someone in the draft who the scouts/experts over-analyze for some reason and he falls. Notable recent examples and coincidentally also 10th picks are Paul George, Brandon Jennings, Caron Butler, Paul Pierce. Justise is a proven winner who performs better under pressure. He's already an elite defender, which will translate to the NBA right away, he is versatile, athletic and has an improved 3 point shot. Oh, and he's only 19. He is likely the surest pick in the draft to pan out to at least a starter caliber player.

I think the Knicks made the right pick with Porzingis, he's talented enough to merit the number 4 pick. Just saying they picked a project player for the near future and if they wanted to compete sooner, they could have gone with another player. Obviously they are in full rebuild, which likely doesn't agree with their fans and the aging star Carmelo.

Home of Barca Fans