NFL

Messi983

Second big QB trade this offseason, probably won't be the last.

Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first, league sources tell @mortreport and me.

This is pretty interesting.

And with the trade of Carson Wentz, there will now not be a single QB drafted in the first round from 2009-2016 that is still with his original team.

0 out of 22 total.

Messi983

Some interesting swaps of draft picks yesterday even with draft still being a month away.

Filed to ESPN: Dolphins trading No. 3 overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for the No. 12 pick, a 2021 third-round pick (SF?s comp pick for Robert Saleh hiring) and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023, per sources.

Eagles traded their sixth to the Dolphins for No. 12 and their 2022 first-round pick. Teams also swapped mid-round picks -- Eagles' pick 156 for No. 123.

ExbHq6uXIAAAkzV

Looks like SF plans to draft a QB (would be very unlikely to give up that much to move up for anything other than a QB) though there are rumours they'll keep Jimmy G. but don't really believe that. I think they'll trade him on a draft day, probably back to New England.

Wouldn't be too surprised if there would be 4 QBs taken at the top of the draft though I'm not really too convinced with anyone of them besides Trevor Lawrence who will surely go No.1 to the Jags and there are strong rumours lately that NYJ are all but decided to take Zach Wilson with their pick. Then it's probably between Justin Fields and Trey Lance for SF and ATL (though they could also trade down with the Lions or Panthers possibly moving up to No.4) followed by OL (Penei Sewell) for the Bengals to protect Joe Burrow's blindside. And then Miami will have a chance to pick whichever top WR they like between DeVonta Smith, Ja'Marr Chase and Jaylen Waddle. Or maybe even TE Kyle Pitts who might be the best non-QB player of this draft.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
NFL Draft tomorrow.

Hopefully Green Bay select a WR in R1 or R2 this time......CB also a need. DT/DE too, but the DL class is very weak this year so no point reaching for a player.

Messi983

NFL Draft tomorrow.

Hopefully Green Bay select a WR in R1 or R2 this time......CB also a need. DT/DE too, but the DL class is very weak this year so no point reaching for a player.

Can't wait for the draft although we don't have a 1st round pick (nothing new tbh :D) and only three picks overall (will probably end up with 5-6 anyway after trading down a few times).

CB is our biggest need imo but don't see Carroll pick a CB early. He can usually find a good value in mid to late rounds. So I guess our first pick could be an OC if any of top guys (Humphrey, Myers, Dickerson, Meinerz) will fall to 56 or even further down (as I expect us to trade down as said above). Dickerson might drop some due to his injury concerns (OTOH teams will surely love his leadership qualities so I expect him gone sooner than later) and if he does I'd gladly take him. If they're all gone by the time we pick maybe a versatile IOL guy like Kendrick Green could be available in 3rd round.

OT could be an option as well although we still have Brown being one of the better LTs in the league and Shell also did solid last season as RT but both are in contract year and Brown is also 35 so it's time to think about his longterm replacement if the right guy falls. Maybe someone like Walker Little who was talked about as a 1st round talent a few years ago but hasn't played last two seasons (first a knee injury and then he opted out of the last season) so that might keep some teams away from him. It only takes one team to like him enough to draft him though.

Further, a WR depth behind Lockett and Metcalf is needed. We've not brought in a WR in free agency and this is another good WR class so I expect us to draft a receiver. There are a lot of good slot WRs that could still be available in late 2nd/early 3rd round but we could also get an outside one and move Lockett in the slot.

With remaining picks (if we'll have any) I would also like us to address LB as I don't really trust Cody Barton to step up for K.J. Wright (he's still a free agent so hopefully we'll get him back on a one-year contract after draft though). I'm also not too sure about our DT rotation but as you've said DL class is weak so don't know if we can find anyone who would really improve what we have. And there are still veterans like Geno Atkins available in FA who probably still have something left in the tank.

DonAK

[MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION]

You guys might trade down a couple of times to acquire more picks, however from what I've read it seem like the draft class this year is top heavy so have to see if it's worth acquiring lower round picks if the depth is meh.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Not been following the draft this year, will look up the top prospects tonight

I think the giants are going in the right direction and had a good free agency, would like them to get a linebacker, offensive linesman or even another reciever in the first round

The nfc east is up for grabs next year

Messi983

[MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION]

You guys might trade down a couple of times to acquire more picks, however from what I've read it seem like the draft class this year is top heavy so have to see if it's worth acquiring lower round picks if the depth is meh.

There are some players I like that I think could be available in 4th-5th round but who really knows how different teams draft boards are this season with shorter last season for many college teams, players opting out, limited scouting, teams not doing in-person interviews etc.

Also, looks like some drama going on with Aaron Rodgers being unhappy and demanding a trade again.

DonAK

There are some players I like that I think could be available in 4th-5th round but who really knows how different teams draft boards are this season with shorter last season for many college teams, players opting out, limited scouting, teams not doing in-person interviews etc.

Also, looks like some drama going on with Aaron Rodgers being unhappy and demanding a trade again.

I understand Rodgers wanting long-term security from his POV, but man.....it sucks to see him go all Favre, especially since he was in Jordan Love's position himself.

If he's made his mind up about not returning to Green Bay we should trade him for multiple high picks and take the best offer we can get from an AFC team.

F trading him to the 49ers or a team in the NFC.

Messi983

I understand Rodgers wanting long-term security from his POV, but man.....it sucks to see him go all Favre, especially since he was in Jordan Love's position himself.

If he's made his mind up about not returning to Green Bay we should trade him for multiple high picks and take the best offer we can get from an AFC team.

F trading him to the 49ers or a team in the NFC.

Well, he certainly won't be traded to the 49ers as they've drafted Trey Lance which means Jimmy G will also stay a starter for another year (Lance is nowhere near ready to start immediatley for a team competing for playoff) and New England who was rumoured to be a potential landing spot for Garoppolo have also drafted Mac Jones.

It seems the Broncos really want to get Rodgers though (and they've stayed away from drafting Justin Fields when he was available at No. 9) but I have no idea why he'd want to go there (unless he's so desperate to leave GB he doesn't really care where he goes which I doubt). I think AFC West is a tougher/more competitive division than NFC North these days. Denver have some talented young receivers (none of them is close to Davante Adams though) but even with Rodgers don't know if they'd be good enough to challenge KC for division title (and then in the playoffs) and there is also an improving Chargers team around Herbert that needs to be taken seriously. Anyway, don't see much chances for Rodgers to actually get traded.

Overall, I think it was a pretty interesting draft day. As mentioned Lance going to SF was a bit surprising, Fields fall to 11. and then Chicago traded up to get him and Mac Jones fall right into Belichick hands at no. 15. Will be interesting to see what he'll do with him. Otherwise no really major surprises. There are still some players left who I was expecting to be drafted in the 1st round but there were around 40-45 players with realistic chances to sneak into that second half of 1st round so it's up to teams big boards and needs who they've selected.

Really looking forward to day two as well.

Messi983

One interesting thing will be seeing top WR prospects this year being reunited with their former college QBs in the NFL.

- Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase in Cincinnati,
- Tua Tagovailoa and Jaylen Waddle in Miami,
- Jalen Hurts and DeVonta Smith in Philadelphia

Those should all be pretty exciting QB/WR pairs considering their previous chemistry, especially Burrow and Chase in that great 2019 LSU offense.

And further former Clemson duo Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne will also continue to play together for the Jaguars. It's the first time in the Common Draft era that a QB & RB from the same school were selected in the 1st round of the same draft by the same team.

Messi983

Can't wait for the draft although we don't have a 1st round pick (nothing new tbh :D) and only three picks overall (will probably end up with 5-6 anyway after trading down a few times).

Well, in the end we've actually stayed with just three picks. I like them all though.

2nd rounder D'Wayne Eskridge should be a good 3rd WR in the "McVay offfense" that a new OC Shane Waldron will install (hopefully Carroll will give him free hands and won't be involved in offense too much). He's small but extremely dynamic and also a great returner which we also needed. Still wondering if maybe taking one of the available centers (Myers, Humphrey and Meinerz were all still available) would be a better move though.

4nd round pick Tre Brown is not a prototypical Seahawks CB. Undersized and with shorter arms than we've usually drafted in last decade but seems like Carroll has adapted/changed his philosophy a bit. I think he could potentially be moved to the slot longterm but he has played his whole career at Oklahoma outside and Carroll said he'll be given chance to play there. D.J. Reed is similar height but was our best CB last year. Shorter and faster CBs might have more success covering smaller and faster WRs we have inside the NFC West (Rams have DJax, Jefferson, Atwell - they've selected him a pick after we've taken Eskridge - wouldn't be surprised if they'd acutally take him if we wouldn't; 49ers - Samuel, Aiyuk; Cardinals - Isabella, Kirk, Rondale Moore - their 2nd round pick).

6th rounder Stone Forsythe (what a great name BTW) is a very tall athletic OT who will probably be "redshirted" next season but could develop into a starting RT or maybe even LT longterm. He was projected as a 3-4th round pick so could turn out to be a real value pick.

And then we've also snapped up some good players with draftable projections in UDFA. I especially like both WRs (Tamorrion Terry and Cade Johnson) and I think one if not both of them could make the final roster.

also, the Packers have drafted Amari Rodgers. So I guess they'll at least have one A. Rodgers on the roster next year. :)

Farripas

Let's see if the Bears finally got it right with Justin Fields at QB... Can't believe we chose Trubisky in 2017 ahead of Mahomes. And even traded up....

Home of Barca Fans