NFL

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
To keep possession of the ball, a team has four tries to reach ten yards. Each 'try' is a labeled as a 'down'. {First down, Second down...) After a team reaches ten yards, it automatically reverts back to First Down. A team can go up to Fourth down but if they don't reach and pass the ten yards intended. Ball goes to the other team. In some instances, when a team reaches makes it to 4th down, if they are away from passing the target ten yards, they elect to kick the ball to the other team.

The example above had the team reach the limit which is the touchdown line. The last sequence had the 49ers at the goal line where they had four tries (downs) to pass the line in order to score.

Thought it was a great game and in a way, without the power outage I thought it could have been a lopsided victory. At least it made it an interesting game.

Still there were many calls that could have changed the game outright.

Thank you!

barcanuck

Unreal that the Ravens won, reminded me of the Kings winning the stanley cup. A defensive based team who squaked into the playoffs last week and were underdogs in all series.

JackaL

Well it's funny that there are so many breaks between the plays. Surely it takes time till the defensive line up comes to the pitch or the offensive line up stands there. I think there's a huge cultural difference in why Baseball and American Football are so attractive to Americans and not as attractive to Europeans. I mean, people spend 4 hours in a stadium, drinking, eating hot dogs, buying all kinds of merchandising articles etc. Those two American sports are made for the consumer world. Sitting there 4 hours is not just watching the game, it's meeting with your friends and talking to them once in a while (at least that's what some Americans told me about watching Baseball live in the stadium). The Football League, the Baseball League and even the Basketball League make an huge effort to brand their sport and sell it everywhere. Super Bowl is the most watch TV event I guess, and now, through the latest revolution in communication technology where the world got even smaller, the entire world watches a Super Bowl game that is as much advertising as American Football.

I recently read an article that the UEFA Championsleague final is coming closer to Super Bowl in terms of worldwide TV ratings, however, it doesn't take as much time as an NFL game ;) Who would imagine Robin Williams coming live on stage after the half-time whistle in a Champions League final?

Pepe Silvia

its a zoo is what it is.

i agree with everything you've said but a slight correction. sports in america didn't start out as a consumer driven industry it only evolved that way (capitalism). no stone unturned is the idea in american advertising and any chance to exploit a market will be taken, no matter how intrusive or inappropriate the situation. muting the commercials and halftime shows are my most effective means of ignoring all the bs and sticking to the real reason i watch sports... which is sports.

im not gonna comment on the game. absolutely gutted.

hellsangel1

I've just found that most people outside of the United States just don't seem to have even a basic understanding of this sport. I've read a lot of ignorant responses from Americans regarding European football as well but I just seem to be in the minority who is a big fan of both sports and outside of Barcelona I'd actually prefer to watch NFL more than most EPL or Liga sides.

I find the half-time shows at the Super Bowl to be annoying as well for the most part and so do several other NFL fans but most just kind of put up with it because it attracts attention worldwide and it might interest a casual viewer to watch the game and introduce the sport to viewers outside of US. I'm not from America and have been watching this sport for the last 3/4 years and was amazed as to why this isn't a more popular sport worldwide (it wasn't televised where I was born) . It's just a great sport and I especially admire the skills of the great quarterbacks because it's one of most difficult positions to master in all of sports.

jamrock

The club gets more viers than the super bowl, the Superbowl use to be tops when the final was held on a Wednesday, but not since

Even el clasico gets more viewer than the superbowl

jamrock

In press releases preceding each year's event, the NFL typically claims that that year's Super Bowl will have a potential worldwide audience of around one billion people in over 200 countries.[11] This figure refers to the number of people able to watch the game, not the number of people actually watching. However the statements have been frequently misinterpreted in various media as referring to the latter figure, leading to a common misperception about the game's actual global audience.[12][13] The New York-based media research firm Initiative measured the global audience for the 2005 Super Bowl at 93 million people, with 98 percent of that figure being viewers in North America, which meant roughly 2 million people outside North America watched the Super Bowl that year.

Pepe Silvia

and this is news how? its widely known that the sb is a north american event (this year had the highest rating in history btw) while futbol has a much more global audience with numbers far greater worldwide. pretty basic stuff.

jamrock

Was referring to someone who said the cl is coming close to the Superbowl in ratings. When its the other way around,

Home of Barca Fans