Liverpool

FC433

You are both correct.

Jurgen likes a tight knitt squad and isn't as ruthless in terms of culling players like other managers.

We do want someone for the front line to provide competition to the aforementioned 4 players and we've been linked with the likes of Doku, Daka - before he went to Leicester -, Vlahovic from Fiorentina and pretty much loads others. The fan base though are split in terms of who we want i.e. a wide-forward like a Salah and Mane ie someone like Doku or a No.9 like Vlahovic. I personally would choose the No. 9 as I want to evolve how we play and play in a more 4231 rather than 433 formation.

Again with Ox and Keita Jurgen likes them both personally and professionally as do I. However neither can stay fit and if you're not available and the player who left for a free played 50 odd games then that means we're relying on a 30 year old Hendo and Thiago who both have their injury issues, Fabinho and Jones who is still inexperienced. So for me we definitely need a Gini replacement and we've been linked with literally hundred CMs it feels like :D Though the Saul Niguez rumours are real we do want him as do Man Utd. I think he'd be perfect in offering the same qualities as Gini. But we're after a CM.

But whether we get 1 or 2 or even no players is still up for debate. I don't know I really don't. Which is why I also agree with the latter point as I do feel this squad has reached it's limit and needs to evolve, perhaps even tactically if nothing else. Really that's what Jota and Thiago were bought for last year to evolve us and injuries curtailed it. Jurgen wants a midfield 3 of Fabinho, Hendo on the right of the 3 and Thiago on the left of the 3 in midfield. Guess how many times we saw that midfield last season? 45mins at Goodison Park. So I am looking forward to that midfield trio playing this season.

Shaqiri is going to Lazio or Napoli, Minamino will leave if Origi has no suitors or refuses to leave as if we're bringing in 2 non-homegrown signings in we need to ship out 2 as well as we're at our limit. There will be a few more outs.

I'm also worried about the CBs as neither Gomez or VVD will be up to high intensity match sharpness and training until end of September as it takes a good 2 months from first starting training again to reach those levels pre injury. Matip is made of glass but Konate is a beast. I have to say with some confidence that as a foursome those are easily the best set of CBs in the league and top 5 in europe. If only Matip wasn't injury prone more people would be aware how magnificent he is.

But yes the team needs to evolve it needs some fresh impetus of new players into it and with that I think we'll challenge again.

Personally and quite honestly I don't care what anyone says if we could player on a computer game and changes injuries occurring to zero so that there are no injuries I think 1 to 11 we have the best team in the league. Honestly I do. It's the depth that needs improvement and the slight adjustment I'd like to see in our system and formation. I'd really love a No.9 and not a false 9 in our team and I love Bobby as a player and think he can still do a job for us in a deeper position and as a back up to the main No.9 but that's what I'd love to see in our team. Unfortunately Haaland, Mbappe and Kane are not realistic but Vlahovic is and he'd be one I'd be looking at. But I feel we'll get someone like Jota who can play and fill in, in all 3 forward positions. I know for a fact we've been scouting and are interested in Damsgaard for example who had a good euros and Doku too players of that ilk. So I'm interested in the type of attacker we do sign - if we sign one at all!!
You are both correct.

Jurgen likes a tight knitt squad and isn't as ruthless in terms of culling players like other managers.

We do want someone for the front line to provide competition to the aforementioned 4 players and we've been linked with the likes of Doku, Daka - before he went to Leicester -, Vlahovic from Fiorentina and pretty much loads others. The fan base though are split in terms of who we want i.e. a wide-forward like a Salah and Mane ie someone like Doku or a No.9 like Vlahovic. I personally would choose the No. 9 as I want to evolve how we play and play in a more 4231 rather than 433 formation.

Again with Ox and Keita Jurgen likes them both personally and professionally as do I. However neither can stay fit and if you're not available and the player who left for a free played 50 odd games then that means we're relying on a 30 year old Hendo and Thiago who both have their injury issues, Fabinho and Jones who is still inexperienced. So for me we definitely need a Gini replacement and we've been linked with literally hundred CMs it feels like :D Though the Saul Niguez rumours are real we do want him as do Man Utd. I think he'd be perfect in offering the same qualities as Gini. But we're after a CM.

But whether we get 1 or 2 or even no players is still up for debate. I don't know I really don't. Which is why I also agree with the latter point as I do feel this squad has reached it's limit and needs to evolve, perhaps even tactically if nothing else. Really that's what Jota and Thiago were bought for last year to evolve us and injuries curtailed it. Jurgen wants a midfield 3 of Fabinho, Hendo on the right of the 3 and Thiago on the left of the 3 in midfield. Guess how many times we saw that midfield last season? 45mins at Goodison Park. So I am looking forward to that midfield trio playing this season.

Shaqiri is going to Lazio or Napoli, Minamino will leave if Origi has no suitors or refuses to leave as if we're bringing in 2 non-homegrown signings in we need to ship out 2 as well as we're at our limit. There will be a few more outs.

I'm also worried about the CBs as neither Gomez or VVD will be up to high intensity match sharpness and training until end of September as it takes a good 2 months from first starting training again to reach those levels pre injury. Matip is made of glass but Konate is a beast. I have to say with some confidence that as a foursome those are easily the best set of CBs in the league and top 5 in europe. If only Matip wasn't injury prone more people would be aware how magnificent he is.

But yes the team needs to evolve it needs some fresh impetus of new players into it and with that I think we'll challenge again.

Personally and quite honestly I don't care what anyone says if we could player on a computer game and changes injuries occurring to zero so that there are no injuries I think 1 to 11 we have the best team in the league. Honestly I do. It's the depth that needs improvement and the slight adjustment I'd like to see in our system and formation. I'd really love a No.9 and not a false 9 in our team and I love Bobby as a player and think he can still do a job for us in a deeper position and as a back up to the main No.9 but that's what I'd love to see in our team. Unfortunately Haaland, Mbappe and Kane are not realistic but Vlahovic is and he'd be one I'd be looking at. But I feel we'll get someone like Jota who can play and fill in, in all 3 forward positions. I know for a fact we've been scouting and are interested in Damsgaard for example who had a good euros and Doku too players of that ilk. So I'm interested in the type of attacker we do sign - if we sign one at all!!
Excellent post. Here is some more of what I think, LFC should have 100% be in for Grealish. It is a player that they actually need, and also very marketable. Football is so much more than a sport, it is entertainment, and to that end, LFC need to evolve and expand. 100m? is genuinely a fair and decent price for someone of that profile.

I do not believe that last season was an off season, plenty of signs that indicate the inevitable decline. Cannot understand why they are doing that when they are financially healthy and quite capable of so much more. Even Konate's deal seems a bit concerning (always loved him, but not sure that it was the right decision) when we take into account his injury history, particularly when your main two CBs are returning from a lengthy injury. Kounde, on paper, would have been a much better fit.

Birdy

You are both correct.

About the tactical evolution part:

I agree, and I am going to elaborate a bit on the reasons behind
I think the most tactically 'outdated' or 'in need of revising' part of this Liverpool team is the 3 mids with 1 holder and 2 runners as interiors.
It worked well between 17 and 20, but I think it reached its limit.
It also dates from the Hendo-Milner-Wijnaldum days, and its inception is particularly tied to the characteristics of those players.
Of course FAbinho was molded in there and worked quite well, but still it's a 2016 or 2017 idea on how to get the best of the original 3.
The md personnel of Liverpool is much different now, especially after Wini's exit, in addition to the stamina limits that some (like Hendo) might have reached.
plus that teams are now used to cope with that system.

In addition:
It's clear to me that Thiago does not perform at the same WC level when played further upfront, especially as a Klopp's runner-interior.
On the contrary, his is WC when partnered in a duo of DMs, he showed that at Bayern.
There you have FAbinho, another WC player, who has showed in the past how well he can play in a duo.
FAbinho-Thiago duo at DM is WC partnership, as they complement each other and both work wonders in different ways from deep.
And this is the 2nd reason why I think Klopp should move from the 4-3-3: he is not getting the best out of Thiago, and given that the effect will even raise Fabinho's game, he is not getting the best out of Fabinho either

Them at DM and Virgil-MAtip/Konate, and then Alisson, behind them. We are talking about WC spine, sturdy and unbreakable defensively with Thiago adding the necessary vision/buildup elements that Liverpool was lacking all recent years.
That means Hendo is a sub, which it's reasonable to expect IMO, as he is getting old and both Thiago and FAbinho are better than him at DM.

IF the above is correct, IMO Klopp shall turn to either 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-1-2 with wing-backs, or both depending on the opponent.
The 4-2-3-1 provided solutions already (Almost never used, but I watched the Arsenal - Liverpool last season, when Klopp solved the problem when switching to 4-2-3-1 bringing Jota on),
Firmino can play in the hole, or the fringe players (Ox or Keita) that have their mind more in attack than defense, and have shown weaknesses as runners-interiors.
Then you have all 3 of Jota,Salah,Mane playing. That means Liverpool would need another winger/wide forward bought this summer.

Then the 3-4-1-2 is another alternative that allows also the many defenders to be happy with playing time.
Playing 3 out of the 4, then the fullbacks at wingbacks, Fab-Thiago as holding duo, and then Firmino slightly behind the 2 advanced wide-forwards on the left and right.

In general, coaches should tweak things tactically wise to become more unpredictable.
We saw in Barca last season how better the team became when switching to 3-4-3/3-5-2, but we saw also that it worked against us when Koeman took it for granted and failed to switch back to 4-3-3 against easier opponents

FC433

The same issue as last season, the team have been struggling to create chances and will continue to do so unless they add new players.

FinBarcelonafan

The same issue as last season, the team have been struggling to create chances and will continue to do so unless they add new players.

They lost the physical edge they had. The team is mentally finished compared to their prime. Just not the same work ethic anymore and now they have to rely on their skill more and it's not enough.

Not as good as a few years ago.

Of course, no shame in that. They had a great peak. Now they need few new players IMO. Some fresh legs and players.

KingLeo10

Kind of underwhelming peak though. 1 CL and 1 PL. I understand the competition is stiff in the league but to be a truly memorable side, more silverware is needed.

Morten

Kind of underwhelming peak though. 1 CL and 1 PL. I understand the competition is stiff in the league but to be a truly memorable side, more silverware is needed.

In basically any other 2 seasons its 1 CL and 2 PLs, sometimes you have to take the competition into account, they cant just sleepwalk their way to league titles like Bayern can.

fergus90

Under normal circumstances they would have had 2 Premier League titles, yes. They finished the 18/19 season 2nd place with a higher points total than United ever managed winning the league numerous times.

Xaviniesta

i see the same problems as last season too

their team is pretty much shaped for counter attacking and crosses to a proper 9 yet they use firmino/jota and play possession.

they are doing alright now, but if they had any decent 9 things would be much better for them.

Mateka

Liverpool humiliated United. But declared before they were kicked off the park. United should have had two red cards.,

FC433

I am impressed yet again. I thought their collapse was inevitable two seasons ago, they are still going strong. However, I am pretty confident that I will get it right eventually if I keep predicting their fall each new season :lol:

Home of Barca Fans