Liverpool

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
The only people comparing them to other teams from the past decade are some of you on here ;)

The Barca 2009-2012 era is indisputably in the top 3 club sides of all time alongside the Real 60's and Milan 80's/90's sides. It would be idiotic to compare our team to that team.

If you can't see that Henderson and Wijnaldum in particular aren't just 'yard dogs' who run a lot then there isn't much else I can tell you as you obviously don't know much.

No one are calling them world class or belong to this category or that category but they do more than just run a lot and press. You just need to see Hendo's vision and pass to Mane in the club world cup final to realise that. Gini too can control, manipulate and manouevre the ball around. His in game intelligence is majestic both for us and Holland.

Neither will ever win any individual accolades and neither will get 10 goals or assists per season however they fit a specific role in the team and to simply say they just run around a lot and lack technique is just false.

The midfield will evolve though because Keita was bought to be a starter for us in midfield and Fabinho is a guaranteed starter when fit. Someone like Keita who offers penetrative runs (like Ox) is crucial for that next stage of the process of the midfield. Especially against low block teams where we will need that which Hendo and Gini do not possess the skill set for.

We face a difficult end of December and January though where we will probably drop points so I'm not taking anything for granted but yes it does feel pretty great right now.

P.s. As a footnote obviously putting different types of full backs in different systems will produce different results. Take Wan-Bissaka as an example. He's perfect for Utd because they play a system suited to defensive full backs and AWB is the ultimate defensive full back. So swap he and TAA and both will suffer because the two teams play systems not suited to their particular skill set. That is obvious surely.

Last edited:

abbbs97

The only people comparing them to other teams from the past decade are some of you on here ;)

The Barca 2009-2012 era is indisputably in the top 3 club sides of all time alongside the Real 60's and Milan 80's/90's sides. It would be idiotic to compare our team to that team.

If you can't see that Henderson and Wijnaldum in particular aren't just 'yard dogs' who run a lot then there isn't much else I can tell you as you obviously don't know much.

No one are calling them world class or belong to this category or that category but they do more than just run a lot and press. You just need to see Hendo's vision and pass to Mane in the club world cup final to realise that. Gini too can control, manipulate and manouevre the ball around. His in game intelligence is majestic both for us and Holland.

Neither will ever win any individual accolades and neither will get 10 goals or assists per season however they fit a specific role in the team and to simply say they just run around a lot and lack technique is just false.

The midfield will evolve though because Keita was bought to be a starter for us in midfield and Fabinho is a guaranteed starter when fit. Someone like Keita who offers penetrative runs (like Ox) is crucial for that next stage of the process of the midfield. Especially against low block teams where we will need that which Hendo and Gini do not possess the skill set for.

We face a difficult end of December and January though where we will probably drop points so I'm not taking anything for granted but yes it does feel pretty great right now.

P.s. As a footnote obviously putting different types of full backs in different systems will produce different results. Take Wan-Bissaka as an example. He's perfect for Utd because they play a system suited to defensive full backs and AWB is the ultimate defensive full back. So swap he and TAA and both will suffer because the two teams play systems not suited to their particular skill set. That is obvious surely.

Agreed with all of this. Of course this Liverpool team cant be compared (yet) to the great Barca team as it has to take years of consistency but right now, theres no doubt your team is the best in the world rn and I wouldnt be surprised if it continues to be that way especially since Klopp recently renewed his contract to 2024.

Agreed with the TAA and AWB points although TAA is far superior and I think would fit into almost any team as he's imo the best fullback in the world right now.

Havesaks

Always liked Liverpool, its nice to see them doing so well. Most sympathic club in PL imo. I would like to root for them, but I do actually fear they will smash our barca 08-12 out of the limelight if this goes on. :lol: They are not as beautiful or have that football essence, and they won't get that, but they are steady and fearsome. The most fearsome of all is Klopp, while Pep might be the best coach of modern era, Klopp is the best manager. He has an eye for transfers and creating great group dynamics. And the support of the club. Pep didn't have that fully: neither the support nor this tier of manager-qualities. He is lacking in the personality department.
And with Klopp they might continue being the number one force in Europe for many years to come. Unless other great coaches emerge. Or he wants a new challenge.

KingLeo10

I genuinely can't believe I'm alive to see a time in which Liverpool are one of the great, dominant sides of football history.

Feels bizarre considering Crystanbul was just 5 years ago.

Klopp is a managerial God.

gregorrin10

Will these lot ever lose again?

lol.

Yes. ;) They'll go unbeaten until this season CL semifinal, when they'll meet Xavi's Barcelona, and lose 3-0 in the first leg and 0-4 in the 2nd leg. And then from the shock they'll lose second to last or the last game of the league to also screw up the unbeaten season in the 'Levante fashion.' From all the shock Klopp will then resign at the end of the season and Pool will go back to the laughing stock of England and Europe they were until Valmierda started their uprising. While Barca will go on to win the treble and then the sextuple. :p

Valverde will go down as the man who started Liverpool's dynasty:valverde2:

And Xavi will be the one to end it before it even gets properly started. :xavi:

Newcomer

Valverde will go down as the man who started Liverpool's dynasty:valverde2:

Liverpool were already on an exceptionally good season in PL last year. Even without a CL win, they were already on the brick of being the side we are seeing today.

imagine how coutinho feels right now :lol:

If Coutinho wasn't sold they prolly wouldn't have been able to buy Alisson Becker or Fabinho, considering they were going to buy VVD anyway. And what a difference does it make from having Karius in goal !!!

Coutinho has made the right choice though : he wouldn't have those wages at Liverpool and he would regret not fulfilling his dream to join Barça.

Altomonte

I watched Liverpool today against Tottenham and was not too impressed. A draw would have been a fair result. However, their defense is very solid, VVD and A. Becker are great assets. But having seen the Barça attack against Atletico, I would still rate our offense higher. As to our defense, in particular with Neto in goal, there is no comparison.
The one thing that could stop Liverpool's winning streak would be a VVD injury, without him they would no longer be "invincible".
It will be interesting to see how the team will handle the next defeat. They have been on a high since their improbable comeback against Barça but still have not been tested - except for the loss to Napoli when Alisson was injured.

Home of Barca Fans