Sergi Barjuan

khaled_a_d

We are 2 points away from relegation zone, 8 points away from promotion of the playoffs.
The new format is just tougher tbh, top 40 teams from the past 3rd division so stronger competition and top 5 reach Liga2/playoffs while bottom 5 get relegated.
Such system make it super competitive and every game counts. You can be fighting for promotion and relegation at same time.
Reserve teams aren't doing well in such system, in our group we are 2nd most points out of 5 reserve teams (Real Madrid has couple of games in hand).
The other group seem weaker to me, but it has only 2 reserve team, Celta B is doing well while Bilbao is struggling too. So overall 5 out of 7 reserve teams aren't doing well.
I can't comments on Barjuan overall work in developing players, I think he has done well with Abde and Jugtlar, don't know if there is any other good talent worth first team developing anyway other than Balde. He got his hand tied with bad team in comparison to past few years, probably worst team since that one Gerard Lopez had in his first year.
But 1 win in last 10 games is unacceptable for the morals of the team. Needs improvement.
PS: Barjuan didn't blame players in the media, and it is normal that a coach would blast players in dressing room, the likes of Pep and currently Xavi has done it.

khaled_a_d

So, what do folks think about his 1st year here?
He is public enemy in twitter verse, but I think it is overblown.

I mean Pimienta was fan favourite and his sacking wasn't done properly etc, but judging Sergi work shouldn't be looking at his predecessor imo, that isn't objective.
Result wise we finished 9th, which isn't good although in a tougher format, only Villarreal has qualified to playoffs from reserve teams participating while 3 reserve teams actually getting relegation.
Worth noting that despite being 9th, we were 3 points away from last playoff spot. Overall the league was close, with 11 points separating 4th and 13th

As for developing players, I think attackers who joined did well under him, Jutgla was sold for 5M after being an Espanyol flop, Abde did well and improved, Fabio Blanco has done well after joining as a an Eintracht Frankfurt flop.

The team had the 4th best offense in the group, behind Castilla and the top 2 teams, but had the joint 6th worst defense, and the worst out of the top 14 teams, in a league of 20 teams that 5 teams get relegated.
Seems like the same story of 1st team tbh, done well on offense and bad on defense.
Overall I don't think the decision to keep him another year is a sign of nepotism tbh. I think it isn't wrong to get him another year.

ajnotkeith

So, what do folks think about his 1st year here?
He is public enemy in twitter verse, but I think it is overblown.

I mean Pimienta was fan favourite and his sacking wasn't done properly etc, but judging Sergi work shouldn't be looking at his predecessor imo, that isn't objective.
Result wise we finished 9th, which isn't good although in a tougher format, only Villarreal has qualified to playoffs from reserve teams participating while 3 reserve teams actually getting relegation.
Worth noting that despite being 9th, we were 3 points away from last playoff spot. Overall the league was close, with 11 points separating 4th and 13th

As for developing players, I think attackers who joined did well under him, Jutgla was sold for 5M after being an Espanyol flop, Abde did well and improved, Fabio Blanco has done well after joining as a an Eintracht Frankfurt flop.

The team had the 4th best offense in the group, behind Castilla and the top 2 teams, but had the joint 6th worst defense, and the worst out of the top 14 teams, in a league of 20 teams that 5 teams get relegated.
Seems like the same story of 1st team tbh, done well on offense and bad on defense.
Overall I don't think the decision to keep him another year is a sign of nepotism tbh. I think it isn't wrong to get him another year.
Harder division, much worse team. Still didn't finish far off playoffs.

He did fine and had visibly improved some players

Messi983

Sergi Barjuan will continue at Barcelona B for another season. He is also expected to have much more power in the decision-making for the subsidiary. @tomasandreu68

Not sure I like this.

Andresito

Staff member
Undeserved really. But let's see where it leads. Wonder if he's appreciated within the squad, can be a big factor to the development of the players if they have full faith in him.

Porque

He has done well enough to get a second year.

Surely after next season (or even half way through if results don't go great) Oscar Lopez will take over.

Had a great season with the Juvenile A (if you ignore the UYL).

ajnotkeith

Undeserved really. But let's see where it leads. Wonder if he's appreciated within the squad, can be a big factor to the development of the players if they have full faith in him.

What makes you say that? I think he's done well in the circumstances.

JamDav1982

Pimienta was held in too high esteem by usual folk who follow what the read on twitter but Barjuan has been ok.

Paying out a million to change coaches at time club dont have money for no other reason than support during election is not great.

Messi983

What makes you say that? I think he's done well in the circumstances.

He did well enough to stay for another season, I don't think anyone is disputing that. But problem is giving him a bigger role when it comes to transfers for Barca B.

Xavi already has a final say in the first team, now Sergi with a similar role in Barca B. It's probably better than a few years ago when we've had like 4-5 decision makers going against each other (just a guess but I think it happened a lot) and a new "SD" basically every 6 months but also shows we still don't have a SD with a longterm vision in place.

It's still early and we'll have to wait and see how things will work out. I think on one side it's better if coaches have some say in who we sign so we can prevent spending 40m on likes of Malcom who a coach (EV) never wanted and so not surprising rarely used him. On a flip side, giving too much power to Xavi (and now Sergi as well) before they actually prove they deserve that it's far from ideal imo.

Of course Sergi can only do so much damage as he won't have much if any money to spend so he'll probably only decide about signing a few cheap "veterans" to add experience to youngsters already in the team, those who will be promoted from Juvenil A and new signings like Pablo Torre and Emre Demir. And who knows, maybe Sergi will bring another Jutgla who will help his team (and maybe even get some minutes in the first team) and then we can sell him for profit in a year or two.

Porque

I think Sergi Barjuan might do a better job if he is involved in the selection process.

Our B team high talents are graduating to the first team quicker than ever. Better to have the manager involved in this process.

Abde and Jutgla are two talents that exploded quickly. More the same with a slightly higher budget could be gold.

khaled_a_d

Was thinking about this guy, and have to say he might have done the good job among recent Barca B coaches in terms of developing players.

Balde improved massively under him and was ready for 1st team football at the end of his tenure, Abde went from 4th division player to someone ready for Liga, Jutgla went from being Espanyol B reject, to starter in Brugge within a year.

If Piemente wasn't such popular coach among cules, Sergi would have been appreciated more.

Home of Barca Fans