9 - Robert Lewandowski

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I hope so. Would rather get Lewa on a free next summer. He can still be good for 4-5 years.

The 40-50 millions are better invested this summer elsewhere.

I certainly hope Bayern stays firm and keeps him till the end. I am not sure if Lewa will be good for another 2-3 years, let alone 4-5 years (there must be a good reason why Bayern doesn't want to give him a long contract).

If he still stays quite good next season and has a realistic (lower) wage demand, I am not opposed to getting him for free next summer. But not this summer, not for 40m or so and his rumored 28-30m wage demand, at the expense of other possible needed signings and reinforcements for us.

Messigician

Will terminate his contract

Once Lewandowski terminates his contract with Bayern, Barcelona will try to sign him. In order to complete his signing, Bar?a will have to sell players due to the financial fairplay.

? [MENTION=22765]alex[/MENTION]pintanel

Tier 0 source

Zidane82

Once Lewandowski terminates his contract with Bayern, Barcelona will try to sign him. In order to complete his signing, Bar?a will have to sell players due to the financial fairplay.

Tier 0 source
Too many ifs and buts

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Tier 0 source

How does he unilaterally terminate his contract?

behindbrowneyes

Good luck with that. Guess he hopes Bayern let him go for free because he joined them on a free and was a serviceable player for them for a decade, but I doubt Bayern will let him leave to a competitor on a free transfer.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Presumably with the Webster ruling with him being over 28 and his last renewal being in 2019.

Clubs dont really want to go there, but with Lewandowski being 34 he may decide to opt for it.

Thanks, I have heard Temptation mentioning about that Webster ruling but don't know any details.

Is that some sort of nuclear option that clubs and players would not pull, unless it is utterly urgent or something?

Porque

It's just a ruling where a player can buy out the remainder of their contract. Just as a club can rescind and pay off the rest of a players contract to terminate them.

It would be a bombshell if you have players like Neymar at 28 (the ruling is 2 years on non renewal at 28 and above compared to 3 years below) with years on their contract decided to use it to go to PSG (for example).

But for veteran players with good credit at their club in their mid 30s with just a year on the contract wanting to move, and the club refusing, then it will be just another day at the office so to speak. The club should work with them and not hold them hostage.

I don't think it would be that much of a big deal in the context of Lewa, although Bayern do hold a bit of arrogance and elitism to them to try and persuade the narrative in the German press.

Now thinking that, Messi in 2020 doing this would have been crazy, but mostly because of the media dynamics surrounding him and Messi wanting to collect that damn Barto loyalty bonus.

Last edited:

Catta

If Lewa does terminate his contract with the Webster rule, only a fool would then get him, should stay as far away from him in that case. We would become the most hated club in the world, all the other clubs would try to get our players that way.

Messigician

If Lewa does terminate his contract with the Webster rule, only a fool would then get him, should stay as far away from him in that case. We would become the most hated club in the world, all the other clubs would try to get our players that way.

he is 34 lol

no one would care this isnt neymar we talking about

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Seeing rumors that Bayern could ask 60m for him and we have to sell 100m worth of players even if we sold 49% of Barca Studios AND sign with CVC, in order to sign Lewandowski.

Good luck with that. Doesn't look like it is happening, haha.

Home of Barca Fans