Diego Simeone

Bobo32

I mean, Atletico did try their hardest to gift us or you(at some point) the title in this 2nd half of the season.

He won it, congrats.

He got 48p in the first 19 games
Then he got 38p in the last 19 games.

Barcelona got 37p in their first 19 games
Then they got 42p in their last 19 games.

Real Madrid got 40p in their first 19 games
Then they got 44p in ther last 19 games.

Conclusions:
Atletico overperformed massively at the start
Real and Barcelona were in good form in early spring.
Atletico was the best team overall with the worst squad.
Simeone and Atletico overperformed, and if anyone gifted anyone anything, it's Real and Barcelona.

Morten

Conclusions:
Simeone and Atletico overperformed, and if anyone gifted anyone anything, it's Real and Barcelona.

How much worse is their squad, really?

They have invested a fair bit themselves, and if you look past the big names, you'll find that a lot of RM and Barca-stars are getting old.

I think their squad compares quite well with RM and Barca.

And to the last point, thats not how it works, the team with a 13 points lead is the one gifting us with the opportunity to get back into the race, not the other way around, at most you can we gifted it back to them in the end, which i agree with, we did, but it shouldnt have been a race in the first place.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Think its worse. You could improve Barca and Real with 2 players and Atletico would be out of La Liga race for a couple of seasons again.

Bobo32

How much worse is their squad, really?

They have invested a fair bit themselves, and if you look past the big names, you'll find that a lot of RM and Barca-stars are getting old.

I think their squad compares quite well with RM and Barca.

And to the last point, thats not how it works, the team with a 13 points lead is the one gifting us with the opportunity to get back into the race, not the other way around, at most you can we gifted it back to them in the end, but it never should have been a race to begin with.

I listened to Lowes podcast last week, and agree with them - what Atletico players would go into Barcelonas or Reals eleven? Their two biggest stars are rejects from these clubs.
It's a bit depending on how you look at it, I also agree with you that the squads are roughly equal, but if anything, Atletico are the smallest club and the weakest squad. I like many of their players though.
That they have been able to invest in themselves is to a very large degree BECAUSE of Simeone, we all remember your banner from that derby before he arrived, right?

No, it's how it works. The feelings that have been felt throughout the season are a bit irrelevant.
Barcelona and Real went pretty much clean for a while, while Atletico started to drop points. Look at the numbers of the two halves, their true level is closer to 38 than 48.
It's a bit mean to blame them for overperforming for the first half (while rivals underperformed). If anything they showed great mental strength in a lot of games these last weeks.

Horatio

You're welcome
Will say, as I am getting closer to fluency in Spanish, things do get lost in translation sometimes.

Basically just saying that they also did it for the fans who passed away.

Birdy

Conclusions:

They over-performed the whole season, but you cannot show that by points.
RM over-performed as well, not as much as Atleti.
Only Barca under-performed

Bobo32

Hi again.
Performance is points here.
The variance over a season will move towards 0, by the same principles that xG are calculated.

Morten

According to xPoints, Inter is in 3rd in Italy, does that sounds right to you?

Different league, i know, but it just goes to show that "xwhatever" isn't end-all-be-all.

Birdy

It says a lot actually.
But depends when exactly the over-performance happened.
Inter rode on luck later in the season when they had gained a clear point advantage from the rest.
Their overperfomance sustained their lead, it did not create it

Morten

It says a lot actually.
But depends when exactly the over-performance happened.
Inter rode on luck later in the season when they had gained a clear point advantage from the rest.
Their overperfomance sustained their lead, it did not create it

You would think 38 games is enough to prove your "xwhatever" wrong, but somehow its still luck, oh well.

Rory

Oblak the best keeper of all 3 clubs. Far better than mats. Trippier better RB than Dest, Carvajal is better but has been injured. Felipe and Gimenez better than Barca's starting CB's. Also better than Real's with Ramos injured often. Llorente, Koke, Saul a better midfield 3 than ours. Real's midfield is better but getting old. Carrasco, Suarez, Correa, Felix is just as good as the options we have and better than Real's forward options. Yes we have Messi and Real have Benzema who are far higher quality than anything Atletico have. The supporting forwards for Atletico are better than ours/Real's. Griezmann is also a higher quality than the players Atletico has but hasn't performed like it consistently.

So it's no surprise Atletico have won the league on player quality alone.

Home of Barca Fans