1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Andresito

Staff member
I do see this a lot. Our scouts work all the time as they do in every other club and sport really. Often on the road, constantly on the job, working a lot of hours.

At the end of the day our scouts can vouch for anyone they want, deliver as many reports as they want, it's the sporting director/president/board who decides who to sign and not.

I'm pretty sure we have reports about almost any young GK you can find in Europe and South America, but they're not the ones who pull the trigger.

To be fair, how many new top goalkeepers have emerged during the past 5 years? Alisson the only one who wasn't playing in a CL club.
Some additional names are Donnarumma, Mendy and Ederson, but not really considered top 5 GK's atm.

Idk who the most promising U23 GK's are. Unai Simon, Donnarumma, Meslier?

Don't think Onana is good enough, poor man's Navas.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
To be fair, how many new top goalkeepers have emerged during the past 5 years? Alisson the only one who wasn't playing in a CL club.
Some additional names are Donnarumma, Mendy and Ederson, but not really considered top 5 GK's atm.

Idk who the most promising U23 GK's are. Unai Simon, Donnarumma, Meslier?

Don't think Onana is good enough, poor man's Navas.

I don't know if Onana is a long-term option, but at the very least he'll give MAtS some actual competition where he'll have to up his game or lose his spot.

Also buys us some time to see if one of Pena or Tenas are good enough to bring back - I would send both out on loan.

Doubt we can afford to spend much on a GK this summer.

Porque

I wonder how long he has been injured for. The timing for this announcement, a day after we're out of LaLiga seems very selfish.

He could of quite literally cost us the league by not making saves because he has been playing injured.

vuji_31

Why not to go with Donarruma?

1.96m a lot of experience , and his contract ending this summer. He is free basically.

SmilerBam

Unai Simon struck me as very inconsistent, sometimes he is so good and unplayable and sometimes he is just bad.

He is young though. I am sure he can iron out those defencies with age. Goalkeepers peak later than outfield players. Heard about him, and i know he is a starter for Bilbao. Other thing i know is that he is good at FM. When FM has been wrong!?:lol:

malvolio

1.96m a lot of experience , and his contract ending this summer. He is free basically.

he could join juventus or chelsea, before even thinking of coming here. probably same money or more and wouldn't have to fight for his place. plus he would be a better fit at those clubs.

vuji_31

Doubt he will go to Juve. Last time before he extended his contract, Juve wanted him and fns made threatening to him and his family. Doubt he is going to Juve.

Chelsea could be great option for him.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He is young though. I am sure he can iron out those defencies with age. Goalkeepers peak later than outfield players. Heard about him, and i know he is a starter for Bilbao. Other thing i know is that he is good at FM. When FM has been wrong!?:lol:

We bought too many young players with big flaws, thinking that they would improve with age (Dembele, Arthur, Semedo, Stegen, etc.). Should just stick to buying players with no great weaknesses, young or not.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
For GKs in particular I think we're better off signing someone that is in his mid-20s than try to develop a young guy, unless that young guy is exceptional and far ahead in his development.

SmilerBam

We bought too many young players with big flaws, thinking that they would improve with age (Dembele, Arthur, Semedo, Stegen, etc.). Should just stick to buying players with no great weaknesses, young or not.
n

Tell me an established keeper with no big flaws that we can buy. I think we have to put up with MAtS for the time being, because the squad has bigger flaws in other areas.

Last edited:

Bobo32

https://barcauniversal.com/can-gianluigi-donnarumma-replace-ter-stegen-at-barcelona/
Here's another pretty good article from barcauniversal.
I see no problem with Stegen, but if there is a good alternative available I'm not against trying a switch.
I've seen some say Donnarumma is a good replacement.

Donnarumma (Since 2015):
Goals Conceded: 228
Goals Conceded per 90: 1.09
Save percentage: 73.6%
Post-shot xG per Shot on Target: 0.29
Post-shot xG ? Goals Conceded: +10.3
Percentage of passes launched (Excluding goal kicks): 32.7%
Percentage of crosses stopped: 8.6%
Defensive actions outside penalty area per 90: 0.47

ter Stegen (Since 2014):
Goals Conceded: 166
Goals Conceded per 90: 0.92
Save percentage: 75.7%
Post-shot xG/Shot on Target: 0.27
Post-shot xG ? Goals Conceded: +11.3
Percentage of passes launched (Excluding goal kicks): 23.4
Percentage of crosses stopped: 9.4%
Defensive actions outside penalty area per 90: 0.72

Young and tall and very green-looking from afar...
I wonder if keepers was switched from the start if everyone would argue for Stegen from these stats...

Home of Barca Fans