1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Porque

I imagine Devils hates Stegen how I hated Hesp back in the 90s. In hindsight he was better than I rated him, but still a liability. Stegen is probably the modern day Hesp.

Btw, Carles Busquets. Worst Barcelona keeper to play 50+ games.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's really exaggerated how bad ter Stegen is, but I don't see any development from him the last 3-4 years. He's still the same goalkeeper with pretty much the same issues since day one.

At the end of the day he's still a top 10 GK in the World.

I don't think people even realize how bad some goalkeepers can be. No point even trying to move on from him unless you have a clear upgrade in mind.

This is only a theory, but I don't think our GK coach Jose Ramon de la Fuente is any good or at least good enough in developing goalkeepers or holding them accountable for their flaws. Would look into the coaching first.

I mean just look at how well someone like Oblak has developed in Atleti. He was initially poor at crosses and corners despite his height. Always seemed scared coming out to claim or punch it. Not anymore.

Courtois has improved a lot the last 1-2 years too.

Meanwhile ter Stegen is still the same old talented GK he was in 2015. Only made minor improvements.

Last edited:

Porque

It's really exaggerated how bad ter Stegen is, but I don't see any development from him the last 3-4 years. He's still the same goalkeeper with pretty much the same issues since day one.

At the end of the day he's still a top 10 GK in the World.

I don't think people even realize how bad some goalkeepers can be. No point even trying to move on from him unless you have a clear upgrade in mind.

This is only a theory, but I don't think our GK coach Jose Ramon de la Fuente is any good or at least good enough in developing goalkeepers or holding them accountable for their flaws. Would look into the coaching first.

I mean just look at how well someone like Oblak has developed in Atleti. He was initially poor at crosses and corners despite his height. Always seemed scared coming out to claim or punch it. Not anymore.

Courtois has improved a lot the last 1-2 years too.

Meanwhile ter Stegen is still the same old talented GK he was in 2015. Only made minor improvements.

Good post. In regards to the GK coaching part. I recall Koeman wanted to bring his own goalkeeping coach but Stegen insisted on keeping his.

An extract from Sport article at the time

When Ronald Koeman was in talks with Bar?a about becoming their new manager, he made a number of requests when it came to bringing in his own staff. Henrik Larsson and Alfred Schreuder came with Koeman but the club turned down one of his proposals: a new goalkeeping coach.

Bar?a are aware that ter Stegen and the current goalkeeping coach, Jos? Ram?n de la Fuente, have a very strong relationship. The German keeper believes de la Fuente has been key in his development.

serghei

Bar?a are aware that ter Stegen and the current goalkeeping coach, Jos? Ram?n de la Fuente, have a very strong relationship. The German keeper believes de la Fuente has been key in his development.[/I]

:lol: Has been key in his development.

Rory

If you back the gk coach, the gk coach will always back you and not suggest a new keeper. Mats an incredible chess master

Joan

Don't think Marc's a bad keeper by any chance. He proves it often in various games. Has his issues and doesn't seem to improve on them, though. Bar the standard ones, I'd like him to defend the near post better. But in a match against, don't know, say Villarreal, there aren't many better in the world.

But can't be denied he regularly vanishes in big matches, like there's a mental barrier. So it's frustrating time of the year. Wouldn't mind looking for other options and I'm far from a hater. In fact, always been fond of him.

FinBarcelonafan

Heck, even Suarez joked when playing the Fifa game Steigen never comes out for a corner kick. Everybody knows his weakness yet they do nothing about it. Bad goalkeeper coach imo. Such a obvious mistakes should be fixed.

raedkuwait

Any of the teams left, if they had Stegen they would have been eliminated no doubt about it, if that dont tell you how bad Stegen is nothing will, he is fucking week in every fucking way, his technique is more suited to a hand ball keeper, spread your body close your eyes and hope the ball het you, to slow to react the message to his brain that the ball is comming is just to damn slow, he is a joke in Arial balls, absolutely nothing in him is good, he is no way in the top 10 keeper, he is fucking lucky to play for barca, all fucking keepers Make saves here and there, he crumples under pressure like a butter cookie, and it fucking shows in his face, and the other team can c it and know it.

FCBfan22

In the words of Claude (RIP)...

It's time to go.

Yes he was saving us previous seasons. But this season he has turned into a huge liability. We can't afford a keeper like that combined with our shaky defense.

Home of Barca Fans