Alessandro Nesta

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
maybe you wont find it that funny when you find that its sir alex who did it

oh!

well, no, I can see what he means.

they're both 5'9, very powerful with fantastically well-rounded games, a good ability to pass or shoot, as happy assisting as scoring, and they're superb in the air for someone of their height. and then of course they both regularly go on dribbles where they beat 3 or 4 players, and they've won both 3 World Cups, scoring twice in the Final at the age of 17 and then once more 12 years later at the age of 29, and they're both so dominant that for the two World Cups inbetween opponents literally kicked them out of the tournament out of fear for what they'd do, and they both score at a rate of almost a goal every game, getting at least 30 most every season!

so yeah, I can totally see what he means.

RedMadridista

The Troll Hunter
maybe you wont find it that funny when you find that its sir alex who did it

He didn't..

''Look at Pele,'' Ferguson added. ''He was a very aggressive attacker as well who could look after himself. So can Rooney. There are similarities that way in strength, speed and determination. But he is white, completely white".

That's what he said... And he's right.

Worms - Liverpool fan.

MoFroBo

Tassoti...Baresi...Costacurta...Maldini

If you talk about best patnership of CBs that actually existed and the whole backline. Just what immense amount of talent this defence is.

Yugi

yeah that was definitely one of the best defense line ever, they were working like a one man army and won many titles for Milan but it would be quite interesting to watch this defense with new offside rule

W

woobie

Tassoti...Baresi...Costacurta...Maldini

If you talk about best patnership of CBs that actually existed and the whole backline. Just what immense amount of talent this defence is.

That's my baseline for defenses (mostly because when I was a child, that's who grandpa always watched). When looking at defenders, the measuring stick for me is 'could they play in this defense?'. Mostly the answer is 'no'. Nesta's one of the very few exceptions.

DucdeOrléans

Legend.

I may be biased since I am part Italian but in my humble opinion I regard Nesta as the best defender in the last 10 years.

A shame that Sandro has had so many injury problems. Without those he would probably be even better which is a scary thought.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
As if the years had rolled back yesterday!

Played with courage, vigor and such vividness that somebody new to the game would have thought him to be a defender in his prime years.

Fouled Messi like a professional, as he knew the dire consequences had he not done so.

Concurring with zanela on this: RESPECT!

Yugi

I think he enjoyed playing against Messi, he knows he couldnt play against Maradona so he gave his all against his heir

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Give me Nesta over any of the several young glorified defenders from today. Not only is he a treat to watch, but he's a comprehensive study material in the art of football defending. As for students of the game like myself, and aspiring footballers he's as educative as it gets. In the context of our match alone, his organisation of the defense, commanding presence, anticipation of opposition attack & movement, covering for the defense partner, the composure and discipline in his tackles was all there to see. A seasoned and intelligent defender alright. But his belief and ability to execute a challenge(given such miniscule margin for error)to perfection, on the most skillful player on the planet is magnificient to say the least. The science involved boggles the mind. Such defensive heroics is akin to an attacker scoring a wonder goal. Only the latter gets celebrated more. :(
A Genius at work. Playing alongside him, must 've taught T.Silva a great deal, like it would any young defender in his place.

nice post:)

It has to be said that Nesta has had the better of Messi on the few occasions they've matched up but that could all change with the match at the Camp nou.

but 36 & forever injured, what a guy.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Players like Nesta make you realize defense is just as much an art form as attack is, at least when done properly.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
As I don't know much about the game I probably don't even deserve to explain his magnificence... He performs tackles to the perfection, that is obvious as well as treat to the eye :worthy:

Home of Barca Fans