Most promising youngster that flopped?

Bojan_rnr

Yep, from the best young player in the world by far, according to every living relevant football journo in that time, he accomplished an even harder task. Becoming the best player of Espanyol 10 years later.
On the way to that magnificent unseen glory, he failed at Lazio, Marseille and Barcelona... Successor of Pep, The Xavi before Xavi, with the whole football world ready to be conquered, he failed everywhere until he found his ground as a 26 years old player in a midtable team, with only a couple of caps for the Spanish NT.

With such a potential and hype, it sounds like flopping to me. ;)

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Erm de la Peña was definitely a flop. He was considered better than Xavi, and he really did have the potential to become one of the best players in his generation. Being a good player for Espanyol is not good enough for what his talent had to offer.

Barcafan 2304

Erm de la Peña was definitely a flop. He was considered better than Xavi, and he really did have the potential to become one of the best players in his generation. Being a good player for Espanyol is not good enough for what his talent had to offer.

Agreed with that. He held a real promise and was thought of as a potential star for Barca, never happened.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Oh right, had completely forgot about Falqué and Fran Merida.

Merida's wasting his career in Atleti apparently, while I've got no clue of Falqué's whereabouts ever since he flopped at Juve.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I'm hesitant to call de la Peña a flop. Disappointment yes, considering what he was talked of as, but he was magnificent at Espanyol. Maybe he should have been more, but after such a poor middle of his career he at least found some success.

It's possible that today's flops will follow his path, but as of right now Gio and Merida are nothing but disappointments without the feel good redemption factor of de la Pena. Gio Dos Santos has no excuses for not picking himself up, he has all the talent to but he's been one giant waster in his career so far. Personally he's the biggest disappointment to me, he was supposed to lead a generation of Mexican talent to new heights and is instead a symbol of a group of disappointing kids who are slowly pissing away their careers.

Pedro17

Visca El Barca
bojan., im pretty sure he flopped.,
people said he'd be good., they lied!

Bojan is far from a flop... even having an off season last season, he still played well considering the team of stars he played on. He is no Messi, but far from a flop.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
If Bojan doesn't improve drastically he could very well be considered a flop, considering he was touted as the next Messi.

Robbie

Merida's wasting his career in Atleti apparently, while I've got no clue of Falqué's whereabouts ever since he flopped at Juve.

Merida ruined his development by leaving for Atl-Madrid when he did. Wenger rated him highly and never wanted him to go, but he insisted because apparently he's a huge Atelti fan. The season before he left us for Atletico, he played a lot towards the end and even scored against Liverpool. He played in the league, champions league, FA Cup, and Carling Cup. Here's his Liverpool goal btw:

I don't know why he flopped at Atl-Madrid. Maybe he couldn't settle into a new team and handle the pressure?

Barcafan 2304

If Bojan doesn't improve drastically he could very well be considered a flop, considering he was touted as the next Messi.

Remains to be seen but it is fair to say that he ahs not progressed as many envisaged. To think only about 2 year ago, he was ahead of Pedro!

zealot

Anyone remember Toni Calvo? Touted as the new Ronaldinho back then iirc. Left Barca for Aris, and now at Levski Sofia.

fcb1

watched him play for roma against bratislava the other night.
he was worse then i ever seen him with barca, not suprising since roma's players arent as good as ours.
he cost roma the game, missin a 1 on 1 from 5yards out in the 93rd minute., just one of many miss's.
totti looked like he wanted to strangle him from the stands., bojan just looked embarrased for most the time.

Bojan is far from a flop... even having an off season last season, he still played well considering the team of stars he played on. He is no Messi, but far from a flop.

fcb1

iago falque is on loan at spurs from juve

X

xaviniesta

fran merida joined braga on loan. i remember when i saw him with u19 against estonia here. he ran the whole show and everybody said he's from arsenal and will have a great future. though in the end i checked out and the player was actually thiago :D i still havent told them that...

Home of Barca Fans