Luis Figo

serghei

Putting aside the fact the film is about our "beloved" Figo, it's a good documentary and it was nice watching all those remastered shots from the 90's and 2000.

Figo's attempt at some sort of redemption, shifting the blame on Paulo Futre and his agent. Mainly due to the brilliant 30m penalty clause Florentino put in the contract with his agent, which Figo didn't sign himself.

All in all it proves one more time how stupid footballers were and are to this day. I don't feel sorry for Figo, he betrayed millions of Cules citing being undervalued at the club. Don't know if he was genuinely sad or acting during the official presentation in Madrid, but regardless of it that documentary was admission by all who took part in the film that they were fucked in the ass by Florentino Perez. Mostly Gaspart, what an idiot, what a dull bureaucrat.

For the the simplified version is this, and not after the documentary, but before.

Figo and his agents clearly lack behind on morality and principles. They are schemers, selfish, don't really value much other than themselves.

So they didn't shut out Perez, but let him unfold his cards as they played along trying to exploit the situation for their own benefit. This allowed Perez to hook them with the penalty clause in the precontract, especially his agents, by greasing them first some some fat bonuses.

Afterwards, Figo started to have second thoughts, because the decisions to go ahead with Madrid's plan was made at an impulse. Because while he is smart, the impulse happens first. Figo's personality and human character is of lower facture, which showed early on big time. Basically he is intelligent, but an asshole, in street terms.

Tried to back out at last moment after Perez won elections and the deal was suddenly imminent, because in the meantime he had more time to process things. It wasn't possible, and convinced himself he was mistreated by the club first as a way to give himself justification. Which is a phony chickenshit way of not dealing with his own decisions, despite him playing this card with much aplomb.

And after he saw the hate of the Barca fans soon after the move was official, it sealed the deal and as he got bitter over Barca, which made him cope with it better. As in, "these fuckers never liked me in the first place, I made the best call".

Last edited:

Windhook

For the the simplified version is this, and not after the documentary, but before.

Figo and his agents clearly lack behind on morality and principles. They are schemers, selfish, don't really value much other than themselves.

So they didn't shut out Perez, but let him unfold his cards as they played along trying to exploit the situation for their own benefit. This allowed Perez to hook them with the penalty clause in the precontract, especially his agents, by greasing them first some some fat bonuses.

Afterwards, Figo started to have second thoughts, because the decisions to go ahead with Madrid's plan was made at an impulse. Because while he is smart, the impulse happens first. Figo's personality and human character is of lower facture, which showed early on big time. Basically he is intelligent, but an asshole, in street terms.

Tried to back out at last moment after Perez won elections and the deal was suddenly imminent, because in the meantime he had more time to process things. It wasn't possible, and convinced himself he was mistreated by the club first as a way to give himself justification. Which is a phony chickenshit way of not dealing with his own decisions, despite him playing this card with much aplomb.

And after he saw the hate of the Barca fans soon after the moves, it sealed the deal and as he got bitter over Barca, which made him cope with it better. As in, "these fuckers never liked me in the first place, I made the best call".

I agree the whole thing started out of greed, not that undervalued complaints afterwards. Gaspart said he was approached by Figo's agent with the promise of 3-4 times higher salary by "another club" and Gaspart rejected it normally, being into his first year of a 4 year new contract. Very stupid move by his agent, because if he had revealed it was Real Madrid shit would have been different now, I believe.

Greed mainly by his agent and the negotiator Paulo Futre (they all got 2-3m from this transfer), I believe Figo's heart at that point was still at Barcelona and didn't want to leave, but it was too late to back down. Also Gaspart underestimated the transfer market dynamics and put Figo aside during the presidential campaign asured by his "unmatchable" 60m release fee clause.

iniestaGOAT

I agree the whole thing started out of greed, not that undervalued complaints afterwards. Gaspart said he was approached by Figo's agent with the promise of 3-4 times higher salary by "another club" and Gaspart rejected it normally, being into his first year of a 4 year new contract. Very stupid move by his agent, because if he had revealed it was Real Madrid shit would have been different now, I believe.

Greed mainly by his agent and the negotiator Paulo Futre (they all got 2-3m from this transfer), I believe Figo's heart at that point was still at Barcelona and didn't want to leave, but it was too late to back down. Also Gaspart underestimated the transfer market dynamics and put Figo aside during the presidential campaign asured by his "unmatchable" 60m release fee clause.

Like the Neymar 220m being unmatchable. Crazy.

Total-Football

Madrid got always our leftovers. Barca had the real slim ronaldo and the slim figo while they settled for the overfed ronaldo and the fat pig late in their careers. Almsot happened with chubby neymar too. history repeats iteself.

Windhook

Madrid got always our leftovers. Barca had the real slim ronaldo and the slim figo while they settled for the overfed ronaldo and the fat pig late in their careers. Almsot happened with chubby neymar too. history repeats iteself.

Barca's miss in that era was not signing Zidane from Bordeaux in 1996, as he was a fan of the club in his childhood. Instead we signed Laurent Blanc and Christophe Dugarry who both spent a single season in Barcelona.

El Gato

Villarato!
Watched the Netflix doc
Not much to added to what we knew, but from archive footage and some opinions you can at least see how much a meek mug Pep can be around players with charisma. That shot where he's sitting in the corner and everyone from Figo through Rivaldo is singing happy birthday to the kid at Figo's house :lol:

iniestaGOAT

Watched the Netflix doc
Not much to added to what we knew, but from archive footage and some opinions you can at least see how much a meek mug Pep can be around players with charisma. That shot where he's sitting in the corner and everyone from Figo through Rivaldo is singing happy birthday to the kid at Figo's house :lol:

What we learned is that figo is a rat like yourself

barSELOna

I watched his Netflix documentary too. I guess we will never know who is really lying, but the guy called Gaspart was also an ass.

Home of Barca Fans