Luis Figo

Evil

Shabazz
Wow ... that´s some deep hatred from the heart. I do hate him as well, but if there was a competition or some sort of prize you´d win it Warik, hands down ! :p

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
I don't believe all this "I was desperate to stay" bullshit. If he really was then he'd have found a way to make Perez change his mind by turning up to the press conference and spitting on the madrid badge or some such action. The fact is that he saw $ signs and couldn't wait to leave. Ese portugués, hijo de puta es.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I have a question regarding his departure... Wasn't there anything Barça could do to hold him, I don't know how that pre-contract worked or how was his current contract with Barça, could some shed some light?

gvt2000

I have a question regarding his departure... Wasn't there anything Barça could do to hold him, I don't know how that pre-contract worked or how was his current contract with Barça, could some shed some light?

yes there was. We declared figo a transfer, not an acquisition. Gaspart AGREED on the sale. The only thing he had to do if he wanted to keep Figo was refuse the transfer and force Florentino to pay the taxes attached to a player ACQUISITION (about 40%).

G.J

V.H. 4 life
I also read that there was a clause in the contract forcing him to pay a HUGE fee if he wanted out of the agreement. So it was basicly between Madrid and Jail.

gvt2000

Whats up gvt..good to see u here.

Whats the difference between a transfer and an acquisition? Is one on the transfer list and one isnt?

Lets use player X to explain. Lets assume sevilla's player X has a release clause of 10 million euros. Real madrid is looking to pay said clause.

Case A: Real madrid pays 10 million euros to sevilla, sevilla declares it a player transfer, in which case real madrid gets the player for 10 million euros

Case B: Sevilla refuse to declare the player a transfer, in which case, the player is considered an acquisition, forcing real madrid to pay 14 million (10 million + 40% in taxes.)

The reason we see Case A most of the time is because the clubs in spain have a "gentlemen agreement" to not force other clubs to pay taxes, as the owner club (sevilla in the previous example) does not benefit from said taxes. If a club feels its getting screwed up by a transfer, or if they desperately want to hold to a player, they can use case B as a last resort.

You may remember Del Nido mentioning this agreement when he explained why no one payed Capel's clause this summer.

Like G.J said, Figo had signed a pre-contract that, in short, said he'd be financially penalized if he didn't join real madrid. Gaspart also agreed on not forcing florentino to pay taxes. Has he done so, figo would've stayed in barcelona.

maz

I walk the line
Thanks alot man that really explains it. Ive kind of heard of this but i didnt know what it was so i glossed over it whenever it was mentioned. Nice one gvt..

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Thanks for the info guys, that was always a little unclear to me, as I didin't want to read anything related to him during that time, or even now for that matter, hahahaha...

MJ BarcaFan

I have no strong feelings for Figo but I read a lot about him especially about the "pig head" throwing incident. I actually saw it in youtube and gosh! how the fans hated him.

The moral lesson of the story is that Figo should not have signed anything he clearly did not understand. He should have consulted a legal adviser first. But by signing to that pre-agreement, there was a prima facie evidence that he has that intention to LEAVE Barca. There was no one to blame but himself.

Zqa-

I was at the match against Madrid, first classico after Figo transfered.. It was insane. They went nuts. They had printed papers with a amount of money, Figo's face and the word "TRAITOR" on it.. I took one off the ground, because I would bring it home for souvenir, but a Barca fan next to me, told me to burn it.. He he. When the match started, they went nuts with throwing all sort of weird stuff, telephones, books, fruit, paper.. It was insane.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
He could have went to any team and he picked Madrid. I do still respect him but he left us when we needed him more than anyone.

Home of Barca Fans