Qatar FC

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Let's see what happens next season with them in the CL. I wouldn't mind them winning one, their very first one, prefer that to Madrid or Bayern to win it.

Also I wonder what will happen after the 2022 Qatar World Cup. Will they still need PSG to promote Qatar?

Newcomer

Let's see what happens next season with them in the CL. I wouldn't mind them winning one, their very first one, prefer that to Madrid or Bayern to win it.

Also I wonder what will happen after the 2022 Qatar World Cup. Will they still need PSG to promote Qatar?

I guess they will still financially support at least until Neymar contract end (otherwise it would have been pointless to renew him). That let us a very short window to win it. After that, we will have next to no chance with how French TV deal have been negociated. It is not top 5 leagues anymore but top 4 + 1. Realistically, no french club will ever be able to achieve anything in Europe due to the financial disparities and the mentality of french players (ready to leave before even playing pro in France).

If and when PSG win the CL, my journey as a PSG fan will be felt as completed (imagine going from crook american fund to oil money) and i'll thank our Qatari overlords for that achievement. But even without a CL, they will have brought us a lot of joy and a lot of good football players and magical moments. Without Qatar, you can't have a Neymar in France and in PSG, that is pretty much straigthforward. We could be some tier 2 level like the current Milan clubs but they at least have Italian wonderkids eager to stay and play for them like Barella or Tonali.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I guess they will still financially support at least until Neymar contract end (otherwise it would have been pointless to renew him). That let us a very short window to win it. After that, we will have next to no chance with how French TV deal have been negociated. It is not top 5 leagues anymore but top 4 + 1. Realistically, no french club will ever be able to achieve anything in Europe due to the financial disparities and the mentality of french players (ready to leave before even playing pro in France).

If and when PSG win the CL, my journey as a PSG fan will be felt as completed (imagine going from crook american fund to oil money) and i'll thank our Qatari overlords for that achievement. But even without a CL, they will have brought us a lot of joy and a lot of good football players and magical moments. Without Qatar, you can't have a Neymar in France and in PSG, that is pretty much straigthforward. We could be some tier 2 level like the current Milan clubs but they at least have Italian wonderkids eager to stay and play for them like Barella or Tonali.

The lackluster French TV money will be a problem for other Ligue 1 clubs but not for you guys as long as Qatar continues to support PSG financially. PSG's sponsorship and commercial portion of the revenue is actually one of the best in Europe, top 3 I think. More and more broadcast money won't matter that much to you as long as you continue to grow that section, ie, getting money from Qatar and growing your brand.

Newcomer

The lackluster French TV money will be a problem for other Ligue 1 clubs but not for you guys as long as Qatar continues to support PSG financially. PSG's sponsorship and commercial portion of the revenue is actually one of the best in Europe, top 3 I think. More and more broadcast money won't matter that much to you as long as you continue to grow that section, ie, getting money from Qatar and growing your brand.

The TV deal woll be a problem because it puts us hundred of millions behind the top european rivals from scratch. We can only compete because we have a genrous Qatari owner. Without Qatar, you can't buy AND keep players like Neymar to grow your brand. Even the sponsorships that aren't from a direct party linked to Qatar are indirectly dependent of Qatar presence. For example, Nike, Renault, etc. are giving us that much money because they know that as long as Qatar is here, there will be ambition in the club which means a "good image" they want to be associated with for their own benefits.

The good thing about Qatar is with their political links they can't just sell the club to some nobody. The club is valued at some 2-2,5 billions and only a very solid person or entity could buy it (no more Colony Capital bullshit that almost threw us to second division). But it is a certainty we will only downgrade from Qatar and won't be able to enjoy some of the players we have had during their tenure. Not everyone can cover all the losses and still invest. To pass the DNCG (french football financial "gendarme"), the owners need to give financial guarantee to back up the budget of the incoming season. Who can fork some hundreds of millions just to keep the club going during Covid and still pay for Hakimi and co. ? Not many in this world.

Also about commercial revenue, at some point, you'll reach a ceiling. As you said, they already did a good job and are in top 5/top 3. The stadium is not the club property and can't be upgraded easily or at all. Easiest way to grow would be to have broadcasting revenue increase while they are decreasing (Canal plus are scumbags btw).

Imo, the Super League already exist and it is the PL. If things keep on going like that, it will be all PL very soon.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The TV deal woll be a problem because it puts us hundred of millions behind the top european rivals from scratch. We can only compete because we have a genrous Qatari owner. Without Qatar, you can't buy AND keep players like Neymar to grow your brand. Even the sponsorships that aren't from a direct party linked to Qatar are indirectly dependent of Qatar presence. For example, Nike, Renault, etc. are giving us that much money because they know that as long as Qatar is here, there will be ambition in the club which means a "good image" they want to be associated with for their own benefits.

The good thing about Qatar is with their political links they can't just sell the club to some nobody. The club is valued at some 2-2,5 billions and only a very solid person or entity could buy it (no more Colony Capital bullshit that almost threw us to second division). But it is a certainty we will only downgrade from Qatar and won't be able to enjoy some of the players we have had during their tenure. Not everyone can cover all the losses and still invest. To pass the DNCG (french football financial "gendarme"), the owners need to give financial guarantee to back up the budget of the incoming season. Who can fork some hundreds of millions just to keep the club going during Covid and still pay for Hakimi and co. ? Not many in this world.

Also about commercial revenue, at some point, you'll reach a ceiling. As you said, they already did a good job and are in top 5/top 3. The stadium is not the club property and can't be upgraded easily or at all. Easiest way to grow would be to have broadcasting revenue increase while they are decreasing (Canal plus are scumbags btw).

Imo, the Super League already exist and it is the PL. If things keep on going like that, it will be all PL very soon.

I agree the huge TV money from the EPL is giving English clubs a huge head start over other leagues, and since there is no solution to it in sight (no ESL in the foreseeable future), clubs from other leagues will have to grow the other portions, namely commercial/sponsorship/merchandising and matchday. In your (PSG's) case, if you don't own the stadium like you said there is not much that can be done there (but already very impressive, more than Bayern, Liverpool, City and Chelsea already), however commercial/sponsorship/merchandising you can keep growing. There is no ceiling for that, one can keep growing their brand if they do the right things.

To me the biggest threat to PSG is the relatively low standing of Ligue 1, yes you have the money to shower at top players and stars to get them to come to PSG, but some players might not want to come (despite the money) because it is Ligue 1. There is no easy way to fix that in the short term, I think in the long term if PSG starts winning a few CLs and starts piling them up, or Monaco, Lyon, Marseille etc. start to surge/have a resurgence etc. it will help raise the overall profile of Ligue 1 and PSG will benefit from it tremendously.

Anyways, the above is assuming that Qatar stops owning the club or stops funneling money to the club which I don't think will happen, at least not any time soon. As long as Qatar still owns the club and is still interested in football, you guys will be fine.

JerseyAddict

How can QSG stay in FFP limits... With no TV rights, no stadium tickets... They only have shady sponsorship deals with Qatar... and UEFA is turning a blind eye cause QSG refused ESL.

Newcomer

How can QSG stay in FFP limits... With no TV rights, no stadium tickets... They only have shady sponsorship deals with Qatar... and UEFA is turning a blind eye cause QSG refused ESL.

UEFA are taking into account Covid related losses so the no stadium tickets are not a problem if you can fill the void with the owner money. Then with Neymar renewal, PSG could pay the salary of the 3 free players.

Hakimi is their only real investment of the summer and now, we are hearing how they need to sell to free wage, "roster" room to try and buy Pogba or Camavinga. They are also trying to get Kean back on loan. They are hardly throwing money around in transfers so far.

Porque

The sooner EU top leagues realise they need to band together for a counter league to the EPL the better.

There's only so much of the pot the Qatari will be willing to pump into a league without tv rights and commercial backup, even if the funds are almost limitless.

They enjoy the political ties with France and the club of one of Europe's capital hubs, but I wonder if they would ever consider jump ship to the Uk to battle their Abu Dhabi and potentially Saudi Bedouin's In the Billionaire boys club.

Man Utd for example or Arsenal.

Last edited:

stb_1

The sooner EU top leagues realise they need to band together for a counter league to the EPL the better.

There's only so much of the pot the Qatari will be willing to pump into a league without tv rights and commercial backup, even if the funds are almost limitless.

They enjoy the political ties with France and the club of one of Europe's capital hubs, but I wonder if they would ever consider jump ship to the Uk to battle their Abu Dhabi and potentially Saudi Bedouin's In the Billionaire boys club.

Man Utd for example or Arsenal.

That would be horrible.

Why can't they make their own PL? give smaller teams more money and stop being greedy

Home of Barca Fans